RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Adaptive throttle/transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 04:28 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive throttle/transmission question

Does anyone know if there is a separate learn/adaptive for each drive mode? When I was in at the dealer on Monday, I mentioned that the transmission/throttle response is all over the map. The tech asked if anyone else beside me, drives the vehicle. My hubby does. The tech said that would cause an issue with how the transmission behaves as it is constantly trying to adapt to different driving styles. Ok, makes sense but it is a real pain. So, my question is, if I drive it in sport mode and my hubby always drives it in Eco, is it smart enough to learn our different driving styles in the respective modes?

TIA

~N
Old 11-08-18, 03:43 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ellydogns
Does anyone know if there is a separate learn/adaptive for each drive mode? When I was in at the dealer on Monday, I mentioned that the transmission/throttle response is all over the map. The tech asked if anyone else beside me, drives the vehicle. My hubby does. The tech said that would cause an issue with how the transmission behaves as it is constantly trying to adapt to different driving styles. Ok, makes sense but it is a real pain. So, my question is, if I drive it in sport mode and my hubby always drives it in Eco, is it smart enough to learn our different driving styles in the respective modes?

TIA

~N
Great question....a great answer will be nice to see.
Old 11-09-18, 02:53 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe that each mode has its own transmission mapping. In “eco,” the shifting is set for best fuel economy. In “normal,” the mapping is designed for a more normal throttle/transmission response, and in “sport,” the transmission is set to go-fast mode without regard to fuel economy.
Old 11-09-18, 03:12 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
I believe that each mode has its own transmission mapping. In “eco,” the shifting is set for best fuel economy. In “normal,” the mapping is designed for a more normal throttle/transmission response, and in “sport,” the transmission is set to go-fast mode without regard to fuel economy.
Yes that's what the different modes are for but the OP is asking if each of those modes have their own learning capability, ie: put it in Normal mode, drive very hard and the car will learn to hold gears a little longer. Put it in Sports mode and say drive gently will the car hold the gears a little longer compared to how Sports mode is normally. The OP wants to know if after that learning will it remember the Normal mode and then put it in Sport mode will it remember that Sport mode learnt driving style.
Old 11-09-18, 04:18 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Yes that's what the different modes are for but the OP is asking if each of those modes have their own learning capability, ie: put it in Normal mode, drive very hard and the car will learn to hold gears a little longer. Put it in Sports mode and say drive gently will the car hold the gears a little longer compared to how Sports mode is normally. The OP wants to know if after that learning will it remember the Normal mode and then put it in Sport mode will it remember that Sport mode learnt driving style.
I will go out on a limb here and say that our vehicles are smart, but not that smart.
Old 11-12-18, 01:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I did a search, but didn’t find it, that we discussed this back in generation three and the RX did learn your driving habits and began to anticipate your actions. If you developed or had poor driving habits and wanted to improve them and start training the car all over, the car’s memory needed to be wiped clean for a fresh start.

Of course my memory maybe faulty and that discussion is only in my head!! Or a discussion with a service advisor back in 2010.
Old 11-12-18, 10:06 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

It should be by which key fob was detected to start the vehicle instead of the drive mode... So one setting per driver in whatever mode it is set to.

But yeah, that you be a great feature.
The following users liked this post:
ellydogns (11-12-18)
Old 11-12-18, 11:20 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I drive slow and I drive fast. I drive slow or fast in all 4 driving modes, eco used the least.
I drive in manual "every" time I drive, I leave my home and go down a hill in 1st gear and upshift into 2nd at about 9 mph and stay 2nd as I go up hill otherwise it quickly goes into 3rd and the car lugs and lugs and finally, begrudgingly, jumps into 2nd as I step on the gas pedal. If my math is correct, that's 16 different driving styles. Seriously, how does the transmission adapt to a driver who has a multiple personalty disorder??
Old 11-12-18, 11:34 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeeVee
It should be by which key fob was detected to start the vehicle instead of the drive mode... So one setting per driver in whatever mode it is set to.

But yeah, that you be a great feature.
Huh... makes sense. Thanks!

Old 11-12-18, 03:23 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nail34
I drive slow and I drive fast. I drive slow or fast in all 4 driving modes, eco used the least.
I drive in manual "every" time I drive, I leave my home and go down a hill in 1st gear and upshift into 2nd at about 9 mph and stay 2nd as I go up hill otherwise it quickly goes into 3rd and the car lugs and lugs and finally, begrudgingly, jumps into 2nd as I step on the gas pedal. If my math is correct, that's 16 different driving styles. Seriously, how does the transmission adapt to a driver who has a multiple personalty disorder??
It doesn't adapt to it and that's an issue - a poster above said if you need the tranny to learn again you have to reset the ECU but I disagree, the tranny is constantly learning so if your driving style changes over time the tranny will adjust over time. The problem is with people like yourself or partners where one may drive hard and fast, the other gentle the tranny is getting "confused" basically, constantly second guessing your next move but then it's a different "move". Lol

My RX was a 18,000 km used vehicle and I had heaps of trouble with the tranny - obviously I didn't know how the previous owner drove, I also was changing fuel types (reg, premium) plus adjust my driving style to accommodate the poor changes I was getting, so again the tranny was getting confused. At my first service they reset the ECU for me and, magic, far, far better and over the weeks improved further. Now she drives very smoothly but still can be caught out in the wrong gear in busy situations - then I use Sports mode where she's cooooool.
Old 11-12-18, 04:46 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

GSF, My point is I don't want to drive the same way all the time just to keep my car happy. Sometimes I merge onto the freeway slowly and sometimes I floor it.
Do you consciously drive in the same manner so that your tranny won't get angry with you?? LOL I guess It would be easier for someone in a flat, rural area to have the same style, not so much in a metropolitan area. Most of the time my car drives quite well and then there's the OU OH moment, even in sport or sport+.
Old 11-12-18, 07:35 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nail34
GSF, My point is I don't want to drive the same way all the time just to keep my car happy. Sometimes I merge onto the freeway slowly and sometimes I floor it.
Do you consciously drive in the same manner so that your tranny won't get angry with you?? LOL I guess It would be easier for someone in a flat, rural area to have the same style, not so much in a metropolitan area. Most of the time my car drives quite well and then there's the OU OH moment, even in sport or sport+.
I wasn't having a go at you I was just saying how it operates and I don't think it's good the way it learns - they need a better system. I do drive the same mostly, in a rural town, so slow and gentle mostly, when I visit the big city (Sydney) I usually put it in Sports because it's the quick or the dead there. Even though I drive the same mostly there are times I wont to go faster and yes, the car responds poorly to it, that's when I put it in Sports.
Old 11-13-18, 08:12 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
I wasn't having a go at you I was just saying how it operates and I don't think it's good the way it learns - they need a better system. I do drive the same mostly, in a rural town, so slow and gentle mostly, when I visit the big city (Sydney) I usually put it in Sports because it's the quick or the dead there. Even though I drive the same mostly there are times I wont to go faster and yes, the car responds poorly to it, that's when I put it in Sports.
I know you weren't, that's why I stuck an LOL in there. It's just the internet, all is cool, have a frosty and put it on my tab.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (11-13-18)