RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

is there a difference between the Fuel injector service and the fuel system cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 10:57 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Are you surprised though - I fully expect any brand dealer to do the same. Servicing is a big part of their income, Lexus are a luxury brand so generally their customers have more spare cash and they like to tap into that.
agree, but should not happen having the cash doesnt mean is okay to be taken advantage of, i just did the oil change and tire rotation that was due, not going back there! Thank you for replaying.
Old 12-08-18, 11:01 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Another way is to use premium gas than you don't have to worry about any of that
I do! Thank you, I am glad I didn't do all the unnecessary extras
Old 12-08-18, 11:03 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430
It is disappointing that Lexus dealers are trying to rob their customers on a completely unneeded service.
It is terrible.
Old 12-09-18, 12:13 AM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Is your RX running fine? If so, don't get hu$tled by that nonsense, you don't need it unless you have maybe 175, 200 thousand miles on it. Just make sure you buy gas at a decent looking station, not an out-of-the-way, cheap place.
Thank you. very helpful.
Old 12-11-18, 08:59 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Another way is to use premium gas than you don't have to worry about any of that
Best to just use regular but make sure it's a "Top Tier" brand of gas as recommended by Lexus. These brands have adequate amounts of cleaning additives in all grades. I throw in a can of Techron every 5,000 miles for good measure.
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (06-18-20)
Old 12-12-18, 02:53 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Best to just use regular but make sure it's a "Top Tier" brand of gas as recommended by Lexus. These brands have adequate amounts of cleaning additives in all grades. I throw in a can of Techron every 5,000 miles for good measure.
I know that Lexus recommends specific fuel grades for different vehicles, but do they really recommend fuel brands?
Old 12-12-18, 05:46 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2

I know that Lexus recommends specific fuel grades for different vehicles, but do they really recommend fuel brands?
Top tier isn't a brand, but a classification of fuel that burns cleaner.
rxtimes2 (12-12-18)
Old 12-12-18, 08:16 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Top tier isn't a brand, but a classification of fuel that burns cleaner.
These are the actual brands that earned Top Tier classification:
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
rxtimes2 (12-12-18)
Old 06-13-20, 10:53 PM
fangking
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys I just took my 2017 rx 350 with 44200 miles to the dealer and they said I need fuel induction service. Its recommended every 30k miles. ($169) I don't think the owner before me ever had this done. Do you think I need it?
Old 06-14-20, 06:55 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't fall for this rip off if the vehicle is running smoothly. That is not listed in the scheduled maintenance of any Lexus or any other vehicle I have ever owned.

I use the Toyota dealer now for maintenance that I can't do myself. I got tired of the Lexus service rip offs.
swfla (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 07:16 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by fangking
Hey guys I just took my 2017 rx 350 with 44200 miles to the dealer and they said I need fuel induction service. Its recommended every 30k miles. ($169) I don't think the owner before me ever had this done. Do you think I need it?
Should go by the schedule in the owners manual. Ignore the dealers schedule.
The following 2 users liked this post by ravenuer:
Quantum501 (06-18-20), swfla (06-14-20)
Old 06-14-20, 08:19 PM
fangking
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrobe
I wouldn't fall for this rip off if the vehicle is running smoothly. That is not listed in the scheduled maintenance of any Lexus or any other vehicle I have ever owned.

I use the Toyota dealer now for maintenance that I can't do myself. I got tired of the Lexus service rip offs.
I thought about taking it to Toyota but wasn’t sure. Is it cheaper at Toyota? Can I get all my repairs done there without any issues?
Old 06-15-20, 12:27 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
It is disappointing that Lexus dealers are trying to rob their customers on a completely unneeded service.
I'm now "bipolar."

My other vehicle is a Honda. When I bought it a few years back, my Honda dealer told me I should drink Honda coffee and breathe Honda air. Now I was told by my Lexus dealer that I should drink Lexus coffee and breathe Lexus air....
Old 06-15-20, 07:14 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Fangking: We are on our fourth Lexus. My wife drove an ES 350, which she loved dearly, but was totaled, so she replaced it with another ES. I drove an RX since 2004 and replaced it with another RX this January. For regular service and after-warranty work, we have used a Toyota dealer with whom we have developed a great relationship. Not only do we save tons of money, but the service reps also slip us many special coupons and deals. The ability to service our vehicles at a Toyota dealer is one of the big reasons I tout Lexus cars.
Old 06-18-20, 07:06 AM
TheWacoKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's your $169 fuel system cleaning.

I run it through my 4runner and previous RX every 40k - 60k miles.
BG 44K fuels system cleaner BG 44K fuels system cleaner

Is it needed? Maybe, maybe not. It gives me piece of mind, but I it could just be a $27 can of snake oil.

Do what you feel is right. BG makes good products, and they don't directly sell to everyday consumers.

Quick Reply: is there a difference between the Fuel injector service and the fuel system cleaning?