RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

is there a difference between the Fuel injector service and the fuel system cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 09:55 AM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a difference between the Fuel injector service and the fuel system cleaning?

lexus rx 350 took in for service and was asked to pick between the Fuel injector service and fuel system service, he explained but it sounded like it is the same thing to me, I call back and other service person told me is the same thing.
Pricing is very different
Old 12-07-18, 10:17 AM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should ask them to clarify. Many times a fuel system cleaning is just pouring an additive into your gas tank and thats it. Fuel injector servicing will typically involve removing the fuel injectors, putting them into an ultrasonic cleaning machine and running a detergent through to clean them out of any debris. Fuel injector servicing is typically much more expensive than fuel system servicing.
Old 12-07-18, 12:43 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 485 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by dtapatia
lexus rx 350 took in for service and was asked to pick between the Fuel injector service and fuel system service, he explained but it sounded like it is the same thing to me, I call back and other service person told me is the same thing.
Pricing is very different
Is your RX running fine? If so, don't get hu$tled by that nonsense, you don't need it unless you have maybe 175, 200 thousand miles on it. Just make sure you buy gas at a decent looking station, not an out-of-the-way, cheap place.
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 01:51 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Is your RX running fine? If so, don't get hu$tled by that nonsense, you don't need it unless you have maybe 175, 200 thousand miles on it. Just make sure you buy gas at a decent looking station, not an out-of-the-way, cheap place.
thank you. It is actually running fine, I came in just for normal oil change and was greeted with a long list including changing 2 tires. Back brakes etc etc. I only have 40,000 miles.

thank you for replying

Old 12-07-18, 02:20 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

SO a Lexus service rep told me to clean out your fuel injection and not pay for the service just floor your engine when you get on the on ramp of the freeway once a month

I've been doing that since 2010 with no issues haha
Old 12-07-18, 04:18 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

One usually is a 3 step, through the rail, air intake, and fuel additive
Not sure if the other is tank and a throttle plate cleaning

Price difference between them could be an indicator.

​​​​​​
Old 12-07-18, 08:10 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 485 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
One usually is a 3 step, through the rail, air intake, and fuel additive
Not sure if the other is tank and a throttle plate cleaning

Price difference between them could be an indicator.

​​​​​​
Neither of which is necessary on a 40k mile car.
Old 12-08-18, 02:48 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dtapatia
thank you. It is actually running fine, I came in just for normal oil change and was greeted with a long list including changing 2 tires. Back brakes etc etc. I only have 40,000 miles.

thank you for replying
Also be aware of the suggested back brake work. The front brakes usually are the first to wear out. I would try another dealer if you have one fairly close. I drive 1 1/2 hours to get honest service. You might find an honest local auto repair shop to do basic maintenance, and only use the dealer for warranty work.
Old 12-08-18, 03:39 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

It is disappointing that Lexus dealers are trying to rob their customers on a completely unneeded service.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (12-08-18)
Old 12-08-18, 08:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
SO a Lexus service rep told me to clean out your fuel injection and not pay for the service just floor your engine when you get on the on ramp of the freeway once a month

I've been doing that since 2010 with no issues haha
Another way is to use premium gas than you don't have to worry about any of that
Old 12-08-18, 03:43 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
It is disappointing that Lexus dealers are trying to rob their customers on a completely unneeded service.
Are you surprised though - I fully expect any brand dealer to do the same. Servicing is a big part of their income, Lexus are a luxury brand so generally their customers have more spare cash and they like to tap into that.
Old 12-08-18, 04:25 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Are you surprised though - I fully expect any brand dealer to do the same. Servicing is a big part of their income, Lexus are a luxury brand so generally their customers have more spare cash and they like to tap into that.
Absolutely, if one is not informed/educated one is prey for not only the dealer, but ANY mechanic shop.
Old 12-08-18, 10:48 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxtimes2

Also be aware of the suggested back brake work. The front brakes usually are the first to wear out. I would try another dealer if you have one fairly close. I drive 1 1/2 hours to get honest service. You might find an honest local auto repair shop to do basic maintenance, and only use the dealer for warranty work.
I will definitely start going to a different location I dont feel I can trust them anymore.. Thank you for responding.

Last edited by dtapatia; 12-08-18 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 10:51 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Absolutely, if one is not informed/educated one is prey for not only the dealer, but ANY mechanic shop.
I agree. Have been coming to the Van Niys dealer for may last 3 cars and I actually had a an honest service adviser but this particular time I had a different guy and oh boy was he on a mission.
Old 12-08-18, 10:54 PM
dtapatia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
Sadly true.

Quick Reply: is there a difference between the Fuel injector service and the fuel system cleaning?