RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic roof questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 05:33 PM
ranyw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There,

I have a 17 450h with the luxury package. I live in Southern California , in the summer we typically get 100+ degree weather. Even with the power shade closed you can feel the heat radiating down. Our winter’s are pretty mild so I haven’t noticed any cold.

good choice with the RX. One of the best cars I’ve driven.

Old 12-17-18, 04:21 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pany Roof

I must admit the Pany roof was at the bottom of my desired options. HUD and Triple Beams we’re higher on my list. I do take advantage of the Pany roof since it is on my RX. The rear passengers seem to enjoy it.

One no flaw you can find elsewhere on this forum is that the trim at the front of the Pany roof when open is cut very rough. The finish is not up to Lexus standards. My dealer told me to live with it. I think others have been told the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...c-sunroof.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rkmanship.html

Old 12-18-18, 05:06 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
I must admit the Pany roof was at the bottom of my desired options. HUD and Triple Beams we’re higher on my list. I do take advantage of the Pany roof since it is on my RX. The rear passengers seem to enjoy it.

One no flaw you can find elsewhere on this forum is that the trim at the front of the Pany roof when open is cut very rough. The finish is not up to Lexus standards. My dealer told me to live with it. I think others have been told the same.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...c-sunroof.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rkmanship.html

Yeah that is slack the way they've done that, mine's a Jap built one, nicely tucked in as it should be.
Old 10-26-19, 02:24 PM
skibum1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2020 RX Panoramic Roof

On the 2020 Rx's the pano moonroof, being told it not worth it? Says it opens up across the top of the roof and the actual opening if your driving isn't as large as a standard moonroof. Also causes more wind noise? Is this accurate or worth the extra $$$? My X5 has a massive pano roof and really lightens up the inside/transforms the interior look of the car compared to a standard moonroof. Any feedback appreciated. About to buy this car next week. Thanks
Old 10-26-19, 03:58 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

There have been problems with pano roofs cracking in all makes of vehicles and most of them have been denied as warranty claims by the manufacturers (don't know the details)
so to me, unless maybe if you are leasing, the pano would not be something I'd want.
Old 10-26-19, 05:44 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum1
On the 2020 Rx's the pano moonroof, being told it not worth it? Says it opens up across the top of the roof and the actual opening if your driving isn't as large as a standard moonroof. Also causes more wind noise? Is this accurate or worth the extra $$$? My X5 has a massive pano roof and really lightens up the inside/transforms the interior look of the car compared to a standard moonroof. Any feedback appreciated. About to buy this car next week. Thanks
Yes, if all you care about is the size of the opening, then the pano roof is a bit disappointing. The actual gap to the exterior is around 60-70% of the front glass portion. When fully open, wind buffeting is pretty bad in the cabin unless you open the rear windows a little. When closed or in the tilt position, I don't notice any wind noise.

Given all that though; I would never go back to the regular sunroof compared to my pano. Here in the Vancouver area, I can have my shades open 95% of the time, and like you said with your X5, it really makes the interior a lot more airy. Most of the time I would be driving with the roof in tilt mode, so the limited slide opening is not as big a deal; although I do wish that it could be bigger. Definitely not as well designed as the Germans - I recall my old 3-series barely had any buffeting with the moonroof fully open.
Old 10-27-19, 03:21 AM
skibum1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. Car is for my wife. Looking tomorrow at it. Salesman over the phone mentioned some of the negatives about it but not sure yet haven't actually been in the car yet to see it. Appreciate feedback. I simply can't imagine having it over going with standard sunroof is negative. transforms interior look of the car for sure. Q5 also comes with pano roof.
Old 10-27-19, 04:30 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We have a 2017 450h with the pano roof and love it. Just got it a bit more tinted a month ago. Haven't noticed any noise when it's closed.
Old 10-27-19, 05:47 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

no problems with ours, but never use it. I like because its much easier to keep the exterior top of car clean without worrying about scratching paint.
Old 10-28-19, 10:05 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Everybody probably has slightly different reasons and micro-reasons for wanting a pano roof, but all the noise/technical considerations aside, for me its the following. When on a trip, being able to look up and slightly back through the roof is AWESOME!! (Yes even as the driver i, more than occasionally, look back and up on this kind of trip). Its a different driving/traveling experience than with a solid roof. When traveling through scenic mountainous area there is is no comparison. I'm not just trying to get from point A to B as fast as i can. Now if you are just driving the kids back and forth to soccer games its probably completely irrelevant.
Old 10-28-19, 10:43 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by skibum1
Car is for my wife.
Well, if she is like my wife, then she'll love it. Me, I only like it at night. Also, you cannot open the pano if you are using the roof racks and rails to carry stuff.
Old 10-30-19, 05:21 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
We have a 2017 450h with the pano roof and love it. Just got it a bit more tinted a month ago. Haven't noticed any noise when it's closed.
mines started making noise when closing, look like it was hitting on the side trim and one of the sunroof trim came off
Old 11-06-19, 05:44 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a 2016 RX350 with the moon roof. I surf longboards and carrying them on my car roof is a must. I found an eBay seller that has what appear to be clones of the Lexus OEM crossbars for $120.
I have installed the front one... not easy and I'm pretty handy with a lot of tools and projects. The rear one is too long by about 2" and needs to be cut on each end to fit. Wind noise is an issue so I may move the front bar rearward or test with the nylon pads installed over the crossbars.
Old 11-06-19, 06:09 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
I just bought a 2016 RX350 with the moon roof. I surf longboards and carrying them on my car roof is a must. I found an eBay seller that has what appear to be clones of the Lexus OEM crossbars for $120.
I have installed the front one... not easy and I'm pretty handy with a lot of tools and projects. The rear one is too long by about 2" and needs to be cut on each end to fit. Wind noise is an issue so I may move the front bar rearward or test with the nylon pads installed over the crossbars.
Hence the word "clones".
Old 11-06-19, 06:35 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Hence the word "clones".
Perhaps. But very good quality. A hacksaw or sawzall to remove about 1" from each end will fix the issue. Moving the front crossbar rearward to the next set of predrilled holes will likely reduce wind noise but not so sure it will be ideal for carrying 9'6" surfboards. There are plenty of aftermarket cross bars that would work but they're generally pretty ugly.

Quick Reply: Panoramic roof questions