RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic roof questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-22 | 05:06 PM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Default Panoramic Moonroof Opinions

I have the option to get a 2022 RX with either a standard moonroof or the panoramic roof. It will take longer to get one with standard roof. I tend to lean towards the standard roof, but I have never owned a vehicle with a panoramic roof. My current 2019 has standard the moonroof.

I have seen the thread where the panoramic roof problems are discussed. What is your overall feelings about the pano roof? Do you like it a lot better than standard roof? Would you prefer the standard roof over the panoramic roof? Is it hotter than the standard moonroof. Is it likely to have more mechanical problems?

I will appreciate any insight/opinions of the panoramic roof.
Old 04-13-22 | 06:01 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Although I have no RX panoramic roof experience, I've had vehicles with pano roofs as daily drivers and my wife has one now. I'm not a big fan, as the support structure for one of mine became noisy after just a year and it never got fixed.. Granted, it's a sample of one, but 25%-33% of my total experience. My view is they make the most sense in 3-row vehicles (the RXL does not count) and that have black or very dark interiors. My RX has the standard moonroof and I'm perfectly happy with it.
Old 04-13-22 | 06:22 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

The Pano roofs look really nice if you like sunroofs. You will find a few complaints about them and if not covered under warranty can be in the thousands to repair.

My advice is to go for the moonroof. Haven't seen many complaints about those. Both of my RX's had moonroofs with zero problem, but I didn't use them much.

​​​​​​​2cents....
Old 04-13-22 | 09:14 PM
DallasStar
Driver School Candidate

Had the '16 RX for 6 plus years w/ pano. Use it all the time, no issues no noises.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (04-18-22)
Old 04-14-22 | 03:42 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

My wife has the pano and quite honestly she would be happier with none at all. She never uses it. I occasionally pop it open just to make sure it’s working properly. I also have the pano in my Camry. But, I actually use mine. Weather in NC just makes them useless during the summer due to the heat and humidity. Spring is also kind of tough because of all the pollen. But, fall and winter are usually great since we get very little snow.
Old 04-14-22 | 06:57 AM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VTHiker
Interesting question. Out of pure curiosity I'm looking forward to hearing the thoughts of those with the panoramic roof. I have this feeling it comes down to pure subjectivity. Some want a big sky view and opening, and some don't. I definitely fall into the group that would prefer no sunroof at all. I've had many and simply don't use them and would rather not pay for a feature that I never use.
Old 04-14-22 | 07:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely subjective - the pano roof offers great daylight but more risk for problems. I've had them and loved them on other cars but I'll avoid them for now. In warm climates, you'll keep the shade closed anyway.
Old 04-14-22 | 09:43 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

I think the time of day when you do most of your driving will play a role too.

I've had the pano roof since 2016, and it is pretty much a must-have for me, especially one that actually opens. The only time the pano roof bothers me is when I drive in the middle of the day in the summer when the sun is directly overhead. That's when the shade comes into play.

Every other time of the year, I would have the shade wide open, (and the roof vented open if weather permits) and the added airiness and brightness inside the cabin is something I could never live without.

For the RX, the first year of the pano roof availability (2016) was when they had the most issues - mostly due to the rubber trim that would keep falling out. They fixed that in subsequent years; and my 2018 has been rock solid. All sunroofs share essentially the same mechanisms, so long-term reliability would likely be the same.
Old 04-14-22 | 11:54 AM
ravenuer
Racer

This may not help you, but we had a 17 RX with a moon/sunroof. It was opened once in the 3 year lease and that was the salesman demonstrating it when we took delivery. This was the only car on the lot that checked all the other boxes, color, no nav etc. only it had the roof.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (04-14-22)
Old 04-14-22 | 01:30 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
This may not help you, but we had a 17 RX with a moon/sunroof. It was opened once in the 3 year lease and that was the salesman demonstrating it when we took delivery. This was the only car on the lot that checked all the other boxes, color, no nav etc. only it had the roof.
Same here, same year, however I had a dark tint on my pano roof so I keep the shade back all year long. I'm happy with the somewhat brighter more open feeling inside.
Old 04-15-22 | 11:46 PM
Saranhai
Driver

Originally Posted by Nail34
Same here, same year, however I had a dark tint on my pano roof so I keep the shade back all year long. I'm happy with the somewhat brighter more open feeling inside.
Curious, how much did you pay for the dark tint on your pano roof? I've been considering getting it done for my RX but not sure if worth it.
FWIW I personally love my pano roof, coming from Toyota, the roof was a big part of what made me feel like my RX was a "luxury car". I also love driving through the city or open country roads and watching the buildings/trees fly by. Definitely helps to make the car feel more open and airy inside!
Old 04-16-22 | 01:06 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Saranhai
Curious, how much did you pay for the dark tint on your pano roof? I've been considering getting it done for my RX but not sure if worth it.
FWIW I personally love my pano roof, coming from Toyota, the roof was a big part of what made me feel like my RX was a "luxury car". I also love driving through the city or open country roads and watching the buildings/trees fly by. Definitely helps to make the car feel more open and airy inside!
Small shop, maybe 2 workers. My son had his windows tinted there and he was very satisfied and so am I, it still looks perfect. I do like the look of the Pano, I have a '17 fsport.
Let's see, that was 4 years ago and I would say the job cost around $180-$200, I'd do it again in a heart beat.
I don't open the roof because I am never quite satisfied with the airflow, got sensitive ears I guess, but my wife would strongly disagree with that. 😊
Old 04-16-22 | 10:33 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

I have the pano roof and love it. The extra light helps offset the black leather interior.

Yeah it may break, the engine could die too, or maybe the tranny. I don't worry about what might happen. Overall the roofs are incredibly reliable across all vehicle brands. If they weren't, they would not offer them.
Old 04-16-22 | 03:01 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nail34
I don't open the roof because I am never quite satisfied with the airflow, got sensitive ears I guess, but my wife would strongly disagree with that. 😊
I don't have a problem with the noise/air pressure when the roof is in the vent/tilt position, but if you are talking about when the roof is slid fully open, then yes, the wind buffeting gets pretty bad. However, that's when I would roll down the *rear* windows about a couple of inches, and it reduces the noise and I find it acceptable up to 80km/h (50 mph) or so.
Old 04-18-22 | 12:56 PM
VTHiker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VTHiker
I have the option to get a 2022 RX with either a standard moonroof or the panoramic roof. It will take longer to get one with standard roof. I tend to lean towards the standard roof, but I have never owned a vehicle with a panoramic roof. My current 2019 has standard the moonroof.

I have seen the thread where the panoramic roof problems are discussed. What is your overall feelings about the pano roof? Do you like it a lot better than standard roof? Would you prefer the standard roof over the panoramic roof? Is it hotter than the standard moonroof. Is it likely to have more mechanical problems?

Thanks to all those who replied to my post. I appreciate your replies. You have given me a little food for thought. . VTHiker

Quick Reply: Panoramic roof questions