RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

AGM Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18 | 02:35 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Default AGM Battery?

Hey guys, can you recommend an AGM battery for my 2017 RX350 F-Sport? My car died twice this week and needed a boost. Went to Lexus and said they charged it and everything is find but I dont want to take the rick of being stuck again. Thank you
Old 12-15-18 | 09:17 PM
richard203
Racer

you can try interstate battery or optima battery.
Old 12-15-18 | 09:34 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by richard203
you can try interstate battery or optima battery.
There is no Optima battery that will fit out car. I will try Interstate. Thank tou
Old 12-16-18 | 04:04 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

I’ve had good luck with Bosch AGM batteries in 2 other cars, Porsche and Saab. Our RX is too new.
try Pep Boys for good deals on Bosch.
Old 12-16-18 | 09:22 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

I'm a fan of Odyssey batteries, but they too do not make one for the RX. Also, if I recall correctly while looking at the battery compartment, I believe our battery is connected to an outside vent tube.
Old 12-16-18 | 10:31 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Hey guys, can you recommend an AGM battery for my 2017 RX350 F-Sport? My car died twice this week and needed a boost. Went to Lexus and said they charged it and everything is find but I dont want to take the rick of being stuck again. Thank you
Find out exactly what the dealer did. If they just charged it, I'd take the car somewhere and have the battery load-tested. That's the only way to know the health of it. Your battery is still pretty new.
If it happens again, I'd have a parasitic load test done to see if a defective electrical part is draining the battery.
Old 12-16-18 | 11:03 AM
Usual
Driver

I have absolutely no patience for a car that won't start on a cold morning. For the past 15-20 years I've just replaced the battery every 2 or 3 years - at the first sign of it not starting immediately.
Old 12-16-18 | 12:01 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
I'm a fan of Odyssey batteries, but they too do not make one for the RX. Also, if I recall correctly while looking at the battery compartment, I believe our battery is connected to an outside vent tube.
I'm with you! Odyssey doesn't make one for the RX (group 24F) but NorthStar does and it's the same battery as the company is owned by odyssey. My Battery dealer said that odyssey is concentrating on marine batteries and NorthStar will supply the automotive market here in Canada.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (12-17-18)
Old 12-16-18 | 12:02 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Usual
I have absolutely no patience for a car that won't start on a cold morning. For the past 15-20 years I've just replaced the battery every 2 or 3 years - at the first sign of it not starting immediately.
Good Practice, with our weather you don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old 12-16-18 | 01:58 PM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Find out exactly what the dealer did. If they just charged it, I'd take the car somewhere and have the battery load-tested. That's the only way to know the health of it. Your battery is still pretty new.
If it happens again, I'd have a parasitic load test done to see if a defective electrical part is draining the battery.
Yes, all they did was charged it and and said it was find.. Told them I had to get my wife to come give me a boost twice in 1 week but they won’t budge on giving me a new battery. I heard they OEM battery is crap anyways so am just going to look for a better one.. didn’t know it was this hard though to find one that fits lol
Old 12-16-18 | 02:17 PM
raysmd
Driver

^ OEM battery is a Panasonic battery, which is pretty good. All of my Toyotas and Lexus have gone 6-7 years. They have all pretty much failed near that time period.
Old 12-16-18 | 03:42 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by BensonTT
Yes, all they did was charged it and and said it was find.. Told them I had to get my wife to come give me a boost twice in 1 week but they won’t budge on giving me a new battery. I heard they OEM battery is crap anyways so am just going to look for a better one.. didn’t know it was this hard though to find one that fits lol
The batteries of Lex/Toyo are good batteries and normally last 6-7 yrs. Don't buy a new battery till you've diagnosed the problem it's going to be a waste of money.

You have a charging problem or a parasitic draw and your dealer doesn't want to go through the sequence to find out what. Go to another dealer and see what they say, failing that I'd try an independent mechanic, before you pay for a new battery.
The following users liked this post:
BensonTT (12-17-18)
Old 12-16-18 | 04:00 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ravenuer
It's too early for the battery to fail. Did they test the charging system and load tested the battery? AGM structure is more sturdy than
conventional batteries. Their charging characteristic is little different too.
Old 12-16-18 | 04:02 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Usual
Often times battery is fall guy in many cases, LOL! Specially when we had carb. engines in olden days.
Old 12-16-18 | 05:10 PM
Usual
Driver

I carry one of these jumpstart batteries in my Sienna. I've not needed it myself (since I change the battery every 3 years) but I've jumped 3 other people and it was super easy.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...5353p.html#srp

I should add that I live very close to work, so I often walk and when I do drive it's too short a distance to fully recharge the battery. Over the past 15-20 years I would guess that changing the battery early has cost me less than $500 in total (obviously I'm changing them myself, not paying the dealer).

Last edited by Usual; 12-17-18 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply: AGM Battery?