RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Does The Battery-Saving Function Save The Car's 12v Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 08:37 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Does The Battery-Saving Function Save The Car's 12v Battery?

I can understand how using the "Battery-Saver" mode on the remote will prevent drain on the remote's battery during extended non-use, but would this have any impact on lowering (or eliminating) the drain on the car's 12v. battery? This is not clear in the manual.
Old 12-20-18, 10:02 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

no, no effect i would think.
Old 12-20-18, 10:18 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Agree with JS, can't see it having any effect on the car battery.
Old 12-20-18, 10:26 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I can understand how using the "Battery-Saver" mode on the remote will prevent drain on the remote's battery during extended non-use, but would this have any impact on lowering (or eliminating) the drain on the car's 12v. battery? This is not clear in the manual.
no. It only stop the car key from emitting signal. It has no effect on the car’s battery since you can disable one key fob and the other key fob still work.

Your car battery get recharge as you drive. Not an issue. Unplug it if you’re gonna store it for a year.
Old 12-20-18, 01:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by qvtruong

no. It only stop the car key from emitting signal. It has no effect on the car’s battery since you can disable one key fob and the other key fob still work.

Your car battery get recharge as you drive. Not an issue. Unplug it if you’re gonna store it for a year.
It is an issue. In another post I mentioned that after a 3.5 week vacation, both my 2014 ES350 (with a 1.5 year old battery) and my 2017 RX350 both just barely started. Both vehicles were stored in a cool garage. Others are also seeing these large parastic drains after relatively short "storages".
Old 12-20-18, 01:39 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Agree with JS, can't see it having any effect on the car battery.
I'm not so sure. In my 2014 ES350 manual is says:
■Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key
battery and the vehicle battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in
operation for a long time.

In my 2017 RX350 manual it says:
■ Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key battery
and the battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in operation for a long
time.

But I'm skeptical about whether this fully shuts off the large parasitic drain or just reduces it to a minimum. As I said in an earlier post, I saw significant drain in both cars after sitting just 3.5 weeks with the remotes quite a distance from the vehicles. So, I wonder how the vehicles would cut their battery drain if from a distance away I put the remote in battery-saving mode. Meaning, how does the vehicle know I did this if I am out of range?

I'm hoping to hear from a techie intimately knowledgeable about this.

Last edited by sderman; 12-20-18 at 01:49 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-20-18, 01:46 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not so sure. In my 2014 ES350 manual is says:
■Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key
battery and the vehicle battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in
operation for a long time.

In my 2017 RX350 manual it says:
■ Battery-saving function
The battery-saving function will be activated in order to prevent the electronic key battery
and the battery from being discharged while the vehicle is not in operation for a long
time.

But I'm skeptical about whether this fully shuts off the large parasitic drain or just reduces it to a minimum. As I said in an earlier post, I saw significant drain in both cars after sitting just 3.5 weeks with the remotes quite a distance from the vehicles. So, I wonder how the vehicles would cut their battery drain if from a distance away I put the remote in battery-saving mode.

I'm hoping to hear from a techie intimately knowledgeable about this.
i parked my lexus outside (under the sun) for 4 weeks and had no issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the battery.
Old 12-20-18, 03:46 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by qvtruong

i parked my lexus outside (under the sun) for 4 weeks and had no issue. Maybe there is something wrong with the battery.
On some 2014 ES350s there was a defective Gateway computer and a service bulletin on it. My VIN was included but the dealer checked my ES and said I was OK.
Old 12-22-18, 07:40 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

Fob is continuously "talking" to the vehicle. Much power it does not take, but it does. And, if THEY actually brought this up in user manual, then, likely, it IS taking enough draw to drain battery.
OP, I'd start with cleaning battery terminals/cables. Those are known to adversely affect battery life.
2dly, you may have parasitic drain. That needs to be resolved too.
3dly, put a battery minder onto your battery. Small expense, saves lots of headaches. You can also find them in solar version, in case AC is not available.
As a goofy fix, wrap your fobs into tinfoil, several layers. So it does not communicate with car. I am not sure, what will happen, if battery is pulled out for long time. It may require fob relearning. Easier is to put it into Faraday cage, or tinfoil wrap.
Old 12-22-18, 08:27 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In another post I mentioned that after a 3.5 week vacation, both my 2014 ES350 (with a 1.5 year old battery) and my 2017 RX350 both just barely started.
If you maintain a Lexus Enform Remote subscription then you can remotely start the car from your smartphone and let it run for like 10 minutes every week or so to maintain battery charge.
Old 12-22-18, 02:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 873 Likes on 658 Posts

Unfortunately the Lexus Enform Remote will only start the vehicle two (2) times and will then need to be
started conventionally with the key inside and the brake pedal pressed. Max runtime is ten (10) minutes
each for a total of twenty (20) minutes. If you shut it off early than 10 minutes by pressing and holding
the fob lock button or resending a phone app signal you might get a third start but not more than 20 minutes
total run time.
Old 12-22-18, 02:45 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Machine13

If you maintain a Lexus Enform Remote subscription then you can remotely start the car from your smartphone and let it run for like 10 minutes every week or so to maintain battery charge.
It would be cheaper to buy a new battery every year. And remotely starting the car in a closed garage isn't an option. Thanks anyway.
Old 10-13-20, 06:51 PM
Jlandau3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob sporadically doesn't work even after changing the battery

I'm wondering if it got put into saver mode, which I never knew existed, and that's manning my remote wonky. How do I turn off the saver mode if I even have that feature?
Old 10-13-20, 07:28 PM
Jlandau3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If the power save got accidentally turned on

How do I turn it off? I think it's messing with the fob n hence my fib just doesn't work sometimes.
Old 10-14-20, 06:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlandau3
I'm wondering if it got put into saver mode, which I never knew existed, and that's manning my remote wonky. How do I turn off the saver mode if I even have that feature?
Everyone has it! Hold Down the lock button while pressing twice on the unlock button, you'll see the light flash 4 times, now the FOB is disabled, press any button to enable.
This also works for eliminating signal thieves if your FOB is close to the car.
It does zilch for the car battery, but makes the one on the FOB last a lot longer.

Quick Reply: Does The Battery-Saving Function Save The Car's 12v Battery?