RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Possible to switch from V to H rating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 11:53 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have switched from V to H rated Ecopias! I got my set from Costco. The Bridgestone V-Rated Ecopia tires have no mileage warranty while the H-Rated had a 70k mileage warranty.
My original tires had an awesome ride so I kept it with the same brand. And these have the same awesome ride as before!
Old 06-28-19, 04:33 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

I switched from ecopias to michelin h-rated a few weeks ago and they are lightyears better is ride, comfort, and noise level. Not sure how much of it was the rating or the brand.
Old 06-28-19, 05:11 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I switched from ecopias to michelin h-rated a few weeks ago and they are lightyears better is ride, comfort, and noise level. Not sure how much of it was the rating or the brand.
Its the brand all the way. Michelins are always better. The bridgestones always have such negative feedback, I’m surprised Lexus even still uses them.
Old 06-29-19, 10:05 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Yup same. Just changed to the Michelin’s because I couldn’t stand the stiff and noisy ride on the Bridgestone’s. It’s amazing how the tires completely transformed the car. Smooth and quiet now like it should have been

Originally Posted by Fairhope
My 20 inch OE Bridgestone tires will need to be replaced at about 35,000 miles. I plant to switch to Michelin but unsure about speed rating. H vs V. Any thoughts or comments?
GET THE MICHELIN PREMIER LTX V RATED. There is no need to go to H rated, it’s the Bridgestone tires that are giving you the harsh ride. It feels like riding on rocks in comparison to Michelin
Old 04-22-21, 09:38 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Going from V to H Speed Rating

Has anyone gone from V to H speed rating on their 20 inch Tires? Besides speed diff which is meaningless to me, will there be control and handy issues? Stopping issues. My friend said he switched with no issues and tires last a lot longer. Thanks
Old 04-22-21, 10:25 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dotbowels
Has anyone gone from V to H speed rating on their 20 inch Tires? Besides speed diff which is meaningless to me, will there be control and handy issues? Stopping issues. My friend said he switched with no issues and tires last a lot longer. Thanks
Not a problem, you're not likely to reach the limit of H ratings which is 130 mph (V is 149mph)
Old 04-22-21, 10:53 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cocal
Not a problem, you're not likely to reach the limit of H ratings which is 130 mph (V is 149mph)
i read this at other sites and it seems it’s more than speed.....

I did a lot of research and called several tire shops… I was told by Costco and others that even if you don’t ever drive as fast as the speed rating (H is 130mph and V is 149mph), the safety (esp. braking grip and resistance to heat), performance (handling as well as traction), and tire constructions (quality of compound, number of nylon spiral layers, and sidewall-tread joint, among others) are distinctly different.

also.
Tires with higher speed ratings offer handling benefits that thrill some drivers, but there are tradeoffs. Since they’re usually made with softer rubber compounds and stiffer construction they offer better cornering, stopping power and steering response. But expect a little less ride comfort, lower performance in cold conditions and shorter tread life
Old 04-22-21, 10:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

i read this at other sites and it seems it’s more than speed.....

I did a lot of research and called several tire shops… I was told by Costco and others that even if you don’t ever drive as fast as the speed rating (H is 130mph and V is 149mph), the safety (esp. braking grip and resistance to heat), performance (handling as well as traction), and tire constructions (quality of compound, number of nylon spiral layers, and sidewall-tread joint, among others) are distinctly different.

also.
Tires with higher speed ratings offer handling benefits that thrill some drivers, but there are tradeoffs. Since they’re usually made with softer rubber compounds and stiffer construction they offer better cornering, stopping power and steering response. But expect a little less ride comfort, lower performance in cold conditions and shorter tread life
The only "other" thing is that as you go faster the tire heats more and so this must be taken into account when building it.
What's YOUR worry?
Old 04-22-21, 02:44 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cocal
The only "other" thing is that as you go faster the tire heats more and so this must be taken into account when building it.
What's YOUR worry?
will it void the warranty on the suv?
Old 04-22-21, 04:15 PM
Cocal
Racer

Not at all, and the warranty on the vehicle has nothing to do with the tires.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (04-22-21)
Old 04-22-21, 05:32 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry, I forgot to mention tyre life, mine have done 50,000 kms now, still ample tread left, well away from the indicators still.

Unless you plan on going above 130, for long periods in high heat areas it's not going to be even close to a problem. Lexus probably put V rated on because the car can go to around 140 mph.
The Speed Rating would be my last consideration on tyre choice, look for ride, noise, handling, roadholding, wear in the order YOU want and pick a tyre that best fits with your needs and has a H rating at least. You pay a lot more for that V, and a tyre shop most likely will try to upsell you because there's more it in for them.

I know you're concerned but just read up on it on the net, so much info out there.
Old 04-22-21, 05:35 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

I'll add too that here in Australia we have very stringent requirements with how our cars maintained, modifications are frowned upon and insurance is very hard to get or very expensive on anything that's not stock. Speed ratings ARE NOT one of the things insurance companies worry about as long as it's rated for our highest limit which is 130 km/h which suggests it's not a safety concern for them.
Old 04-22-21, 07:16 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

also.Tires with higher speed ratings offer handling benefits that thrill some drivers, but there are tradeoffs. Since they’re usually made with softer rubber compounds and stiffer construction they offer better cornering, stopping power and steering response. But expect a little less ride comfort, lower performance in cold conditions and shorter tread life
Better cornering with an RX, no one in their right mind could or would push an RX around a corner fast enough to evaluate better cornering, it's definitely not a sports car.
Stopping power, by how much??
Steering response, when driving your car could you tell whether you were on an H rated or a V rated tire?? Could you tell the difference in riding comfort or lower performance in cold conditions (just adjust the psi)??
How much shorter is the tread life?? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Bridgestone tires V rated?? How was the tread life??
If it's not a safety issue drive an H or V and enjoy it, you'll never know the difference.

The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (04-23-21)
Old 04-22-21, 08:48 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nail34
Better cornering with an RX, no one in their right mind could or would push an RX around a corner fast enough to evaluate better cornering, it's definitely not a sports car.
Stopping power, by how much??
Steering response, when driving your car could you tell whether you were on an H rated or a V rated tire?? Could you tell the difference in riding comfort or lower performance in cold conditions (just adjust the psi)??
How much shorter is the tread life?? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Bridgestone tires V rated?? How was the tread life??
If it's not a safety issue drive an H or V and enjoy it, you'll never know the difference.
Very true, my original tyres were Bridgestone V rated, changed to Kumho's which were half the price and felt much better overall and are H rated. No hesitation in using H rated tyres on this car.