RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Oil Filter Cap Assembly/Cartridge

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-23, 04:37 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 457 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Interesting. It's twice the cost of the Toyota filter I buy from the local Lexus parts desk. It seems very high end, so if it's free/bundled, there's likely no harm in using it. I wouldn't pay a premium for it over the Toyota filter, though. One last thought; it claims a 20K mile duty cycle. I think there is such a thing as a filter being too, good, ain that it might cause oil pressure to activate the bypass valve in the filter housing. There's no way I'd use a filter like that more than 5K-10K miles.

I use the same Ultra Platinum oil (we probably both watched the Project Farm vids... ), but never find it in stock in auto parts stores. Amazon and Walmart.com are the only places I've found it.
Ditto....and I also watch Project Farm...that guy is awesome! Use the same oil but a stock Lexus/Toyota filter. 5000 miles.
Old 02-08-23, 04:10 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Fram titanium looks to be a synthetic, advanced auto sold filter. not sure the differences between that and the Fram Ultra Synthetic that is also synthetic and widely available.
the Fram Ultra Syntheticis a nice filter in construction and materials
Old 02-08-23, 06:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
Fram titanium looks to be a synthetic, advanced auto sold filter. not sure the differences between that and the Fram Ultra Synthetic that is also synthetic and widely available.
the Fram Ultra Syntheticis a nice filter in construction and materials
Sorry, I don't understand.....what's synthetic about an oil filter?
Old 02-08-23, 01:48 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

The media material is synthetic.

Over on Bob Oil Guy, someone compared and cut open spin-on Titanium and Ultra filters. The Titanium has a base plate with larger holes and appears to have a thicker plate. The outside is coated all-black textured material. Everything else looked identical, including the media. On cartridge style filters, I don't see a justification for such a mark-up.

Last edited by chuyrobles; 02-08-23 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Info
Old 06-22-24, 07:34 AM
GoBose
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacing Plastic Oil Filter Housing with Aluminum

I replaced the plastic cap with an aluminum one. I noticed my plastic one had a broken tab on it.

This video explains how to make the swap:

I use a Motiv Tools filter socket for removal: https://www.motivxtools.com/products...-filter-wrench

I recommend this kit as the funnel is excellent, it can pour 5 Gal of oil very fast as the funnel opening at the base is very wide: https://www.motivxtools.com/products...pr_seq=uniform

I also installed a magnetic drain plug: https://votex-us.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...xoC6oQQAvD_BwE
Old 06-22-24, 10:49 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

The Car Care Nut had mention the plastic housings are high quality. They only crack when overtightened. All you really need to do is tighten it by hand and use the correct tool to turn gently until it barely stops. Keep in mind the torque specs is only 18 ft lbs. It is even less than the drain plug.
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (06-24-24)
Old 06-22-24, 02:28 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

My sister’s 15 NX200t has the composite housing. I do her oil changes and it is holding up well. But, if it were my car, I would still replace with the alum housing. It has been the only mod I’ve done on wife’s 18 RX350. But, I kept the composite housing as a backup to both cars.
Old 06-24-24, 06:34 PM
Misteracng
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
The Car Care Nut had mention the plastic housings are high quality. They only crack when overtightened. All you really need to do is tighten it by hand and use the correct tool to turn gently until it barely stops. Keep in mind the torque specs is only 18 ft lbs. It is even less than the drain plug.
This is really the key to the toyota plastic filter housings. I do my own oil changes, but picking up a used car serviced at the dealer, they just crank on the plastic cap and the the smaller metal plug. If you just tighten it to 18ft lbs, there will be no issue. You won't need breaker bars and impacts destroying it on removal. Also the motive filter tool has the best tolerance, perfect fit with no play, which helps prevent stripping. The ones that grab on tot he plastic ears are not as good. Even toyotas OEM filter tool does not engage the ears, its shaped like the Motiv. I feel an aluminum cap might just encourage the next guy to tighten it even harder.
The following 2 users liked this post by Misteracng:
bamalam (06-25-24), jcg0324 (06-25-24)
Old 06-25-24, 01:41 PM
GoBose
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my RX with 31K miles on it.

It had a broken tab.

When I went to change the oil, I needed a breaker bar as some 800lb Gorilla torqued it to the max.

Fortunately, I have the Motiv Oil Filter Cap socket and it broke it loose.

But I realized, this plastic cap is fine if a Gorilla doesn't torque it down.

My 2018 ES350 uses an aluminum cap. No breakage on it.

Although, after the Lexus dealer changed the oil under warranty, I needed the breaker bar.

IF you will ALWAYS change your own oil, the plastic one should be fine.

But if you bring it to a any Oil Change place, they will NOT torque to specs.

Old 07-14-24, 06:35 AM
ronkberg
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can the oil filter be changed w/o changing motor oil

I just had my motor oil changed by a quick oil change business and then realized that they did not change the oil filter. Now I want to change the filter myself but without draining the motor oil.
Old 07-14-24, 07:07 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkberg
I just had my motor oil changed by a quick oil change business and then realized that they did not change the oil filter. Now I want to change the filter myself but without draining the motor oil.
Never changed the oil in my Lexus, but I'm pretty sure that can be done. The main thing is, don't go to any of those quick-change places ever again. There's a reason they're cheaper than a regular shop.
Old 07-14-24, 07:32 AM
ronkberg
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay ravenuer and I will follow your suggestion.
The filter is under the car but I assume only a small amount of oil will escape and just wanted other's thoughts.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (07-14-24)
Old 07-14-24, 12:23 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronkberg
On what kind of car? If a canister style oil filter, the filter sits inside the housing - how do you know it wasn't replaced? And there will be almost a quart of oil in the housing.
If a spin-on oil filter, you will need about half a quart. That will be easier to tell if it was replaced if you saw how dirty the original filter was or thete is a change in brand names.