RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New or used

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 06:29 AM
KP33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New or used

I know I want another RX. Can’t decide to buy new or certified used. My 2003 rx300 transmission just died at 128k miles. So you see I keep my cars for a long time and don’t put on many miles. I’ve been looking at 2017s, with prices between 38k-41k with miles under 25k. But my biggest obstacle has been color combinations. First, which color combo Will I never regret, and can I get that in a used car. Or do I just figure that out and buy a 2018 leftover or 2019 and get exactly what I decide I want??? secondly, what color combo would you suggest? Right now I found a Cashmere with parchment, not bad I guess. The price is right for a 2017, 38k with 24k miles, with lots of options. Please give me your options on color combos and to buy new or used! I’m so bad at making decisions!
Old 01-25-19, 06:44 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Atomic/ black interior, lux package. no regrets at all.
other family cars have a lighter parchment type color or 2 tone grey.

as far as colors you won't regret, if your looking at Cashmere, can't help you there. Not sure anyone can.
new or used, depends on what you want, options, budget, keep in mind, options can add up to 15k or more on these RX vehicles. Used will be less expensive, but we all know that.

have you looked at the rx450 ?? very smooth driving, no shifting, very sturdy cvt, ..............just a thought.
i looked at the rx350, 450 F and lux, was an easy decision for us, after driving them.
Old 01-25-19, 07:07 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by KP33
I know I want another RX. Can’t decide to buy new or certified used. My 2003 rx300 transmission just died at 128k miles. So you see I keep my cars for a long time and don’t put on many miles. I’ve been looking at 2017s, with prices between 38k-41k with miles under 25k. But my biggest obstacle has been color combinations. First, which color combo Will I never regret, and can I get that in a used car. Or do I just figure that out and buy a 2018 leftover or 2019 and get exactly what I decide I want??? secondly, what color combo would you suggest? Right now I found a Cashmere with parchment, not bad I guess. The price is right for a 2017, 38k with 24k miles, with lots of options. Please give me your options on color combos and to buy new or used! I’m so bad at making decisions!
I'm just curious, what happened to the transmission? 128k is not a lot of miles on a car anymore. Did you ever service the transmission?

Old 01-25-19, 09:35 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I recommend black interior, no color drama there. If you live in a warmer area, white or off-white exterior is the best as the car paint doesn't get heat up by the sun. If you live in other area, any color that please your eyes will do. Good luck
Old 01-25-19, 01:15 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I have the cashmere w/parchment and like it, especially because it doesn't show the dust that other colours do and therefore doen't have to wash it as often.
The following users liked this post:
RGSW (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 05:50 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2017 RX in Cashmere and parchment with bamboo interior. It’s a beautiful combo. Inside, it’s chocolate on top, parchment on seats, and bamboo accents.. I just love it. At first I thought it would show a lot of dirt inside especially in the parchment, but in 15,000 miles that I’ve put on the car so far I have yet to find one speck of dirt.. I am a woman so I do take care of the inside of my car but but I have eaten full lunch inside more than 10 times and I’m not a constant “Wiper“. I also munch on cookies and ice cream in the summer so you get the idea.

Also exterior does not show any dirt. I am in New Jersey and we have a ton of salt on the road and the car just stays neutral throughout the whole year, clean or dirty. I’m not sure you need the full luxury package honestly but do get the comfort package.
Old 01-26-19, 09:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Color is a personal choice PERIOD. For me its white with black interior but I get others like different choices.
Old 01-26-19, 11:03 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Color is a personal choice PERIOD. For me its white with black interior but I get others like different choices.
Color of course is personal preference and everyone has their own, but there are some that are easier to maintain than others. There is a reason that white used cars demand a higher value than black ones. For exterior, the darker the color, the more it will show dirt and scratches/ swirls. So a lighter color is easier to maintain and keep looking nice. For interior, it's the opposite. The darker the color, the easier it is to keep it looking nice.
So you have to decide what you want and are willing to deal with. I park my car outside and was done struggling to keep my car looking good, so I went all the way to white, the easiest to maintain. As far as the interior, I just went with what I wanted as I never had much trouble there. I got parchment, but have found that blue jeans transfer dye to them, so obviously black would have been an easier choice as far as maintenance. I just don't like black interior, so I deal with the problems of a lighter one.
The most common lexus's you will see are white exterior and black interior, probably because they know they will receive the least amount of complaints from them.