RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 RX450h camber & alignment warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 11:01 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2017 RX450h camber & alignment warranty

So my 2017 RX450h F-sport's 20" Michelin tires( $250 a piece) worn out at 15k miles and I ask Longo Lexus to request Michelin for tire warranty (some 60k for OEM tires). The dealer got a good deal for me and I only had to pay 25% for 4 new tires from Michelin. I also went to local shop for alignment check, it got bad front camber and need toe alignment, that's probably why the tires were worn out so early. So if any of your RX is still under 12k or 1 year, you better go to the dealer and go for camber & alignment check. Alignment toe adjustment is covered for 12k or 1 year. Mine is past the 12k so I have to pay for the toe alignment but the dealer fixed the front camber under warranty.

So if your tires had unusual early worn out, even if the car is driving perfectly like mine, go to get alignment & camber check before 12k warranty expired. It will save you $169 for alignment at the dealer. This is the first car that need alignment in 1 year, it could be the lexus RX problem. Even if you don't feel any problem, just complain that you feel there is an alignment problem as camber is expensive to fix. The outside shop wanted $500 to fix the camber but he recommended me to go to the dealer and try to get it fixed under warranty. Camber is not part of the alignment toe 12k warranty but could fall under bumper to bumper warranty if you complain hard enough.

Last edited by yardbird88; 01-25-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 11:58 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Here is the print out of the local shop before fix.
Old 01-25-19, 04:06 PM
RX350fun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had good luck at my local Firestone dealer. $180 for lifetime wheel alignment. I have mine checked every 6 months and have done this for many years. Keeps my tread wear nice and even.
Old 01-25-19, 04:14 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Here is the dealer after fix print out.

Old 01-25-19, 06:09 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by yardbird88
So my 2017 RX450h F-sport's 20" Michelin tires( $250 a piece) worn out at 15k miles and I ask Longo Lexus to request Michelin for tire warranty (some 60k for OEM tires). The dealer got a good deal for me and I only had to pay 25% for 4 new tires from Michelin. I also went to local shop for alignment check, it got bad front camber and need toe alignment, that's probably why the tires were worn out so early. So if any of your RX is still under 12k or 1 year, you better go to the dealer and go for camber & alignment check. Alignment toe adjustment is covered for 12k or 1 year. Mine is past the 12k so I have to pay for the toe alignment but the dealer fixed the front camber under warranty.

So if your tires had unusual early worn out, even if the car is driving perfectly like mine, go to get alignment & camber check before 12k warranty expired. It will save you $169 for alignment at the dealer. This is the first car that need alignment in 1 year, it could be the lexus RX problem. Even if you don't feel any problem, just complain that you feel there is an alignment problem as camber is expensive to fix. The outside shop wanted $500 to fix the camber but he recommended me to go to the dealer and try to get it fixed under warranty. Camber is not part of the alignment toe 12k warranty but could fall under bumper to bumper warranty if you complain hard enough.
Those results are pretty close to okay, not much change when adjusted, hardly think tyre wear would be impacted. Also those results "before" in colour don't agree totally with the "after" results (I mean the before figures in the "after" screenshot.
Old 01-25-19, 10:16 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Those results are pretty close to okay, not much change when adjusted, hardly think tyre wear would be impacted. Also those results "before" in colour don't agree totally with the "after" results (I mean the before figures in the "after" screenshot.
Look at the color print out first, you will see that the front cambers were out of spec, -1.5, the dealer replaced some flange bolts at the front and the print out went back to -0.5 for front camber. So they were not okay before the dealer fixed it. The "before" data from the dealer changed because they changed some parts to fix the camber before taking the reading again so they can then adjust the toes. There was another print out from the dealer matching pretty much the local store's alignment print out before fixing the camber. The dealer's print out was for toe adjustment alignment. Both local shop & dealer agreed that the cambers were causing the tire premature wear. That's why the dealer replaced the tires & fixed the camber. I paid 25% for the tires and $159 for the toe alignment only. They gave me a loaner car for 4 days including the weekend because they had to order the parts. The dealer claimed some $750 from Michelin and charge Lexus for the camber fix. They don't do it if it's not necessary.

Last edited by yardbird88; 01-25-19 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 07:33 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I had two alignments done (both were very minor) & my Ecopias wore out at 22,000 miles. I’m not convinced alignment had anything to do with the tires wearing down to the tread bars. Lexus has filled this top seller with a lot of junk in order to maximize their profits.
Old 01-28-19, 10:43 AM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I had two alignments done (both were very minor) & my Ecopias wore out at 22,000 miles. I’m not convinced alignment had anything to do with the tires wearing down to the tread bars. Lexus has filled this top seller with a lot of junk in order to maximize their profits.
It's the camber not toe alignment that worn out my tires. Camber create uneven wears at the edge of the tires.
Old 01-28-19, 12:22 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's the camber not toe alignment that worn out my tires. Camber create uneven wears at the edge of the tires.
its actually the opposite - camber isnt what causes the tire wear, unless we are talking about EXTREME amounts.

its actually the toe adjustment being off that can cause rapid tire wear - i think the term is tire scrubbing.

i did a quick search and here is some more info:

https://www.souzastireservice.com/ti...icle-pull.aspx
http://collision.alldata.com/online2..._tire_wear.htm

Old 01-28-19, 03:11 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by chunktwo
its actually the opposite - camber isnt what causes the tire wear, unless we are talking about EXTREME amounts.

its actually the toe adjustment being off that can cause rapid tire wear - i think the term is tire scrubbing.

i did a quick search and here is some more info:

https://www.souzastireservice.com/ti...icle-pull.aspx
http://collision.alldata.com/online2..._tire_wear.htm
Look at the first color print out, the camber was 1.5 degree off center, causing more pressure & rubbing at one side of the tire. that's why the tire was worn out at the outside more than the inside.
Old 01-29-19, 05:21 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Look at the first color print out, the camber was 1.5 degree off center, causing more pressure & rubbing at one side of the tire. that's why the tire was worn out at the outside more than the inside.
psst.............. negative camber will wear out the inside,
Old 01-29-19, 07:10 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I see that.. but as someone else mentioned its only slightly out of spec.
Extreme amounts of negative camber will be an issue - like this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/****ty_Car_...gative_camber/

Originally Posted by JSracer
yup - agreed if the camber is extreme.

too much toe-in will cause the inner edge to wear faster
too much toe-out will cause the outer edge to wear faster
Old 01-29-19, 02:44 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
The tires were cross rotated every 5k.. twice in 10k .inside become outside wear or vice versa.
Old 01-29-19, 04:28 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

The tires were cross rotated every 5k.. twice in 10k .inside become outside wear or vice versa.
The rotational direction changes, but the inside is still the inside. You dont dismount the tires, or bolt the outside of the wheel to the inside. The outside is always the outside. Put a mark, or piece of tape on the outside of the front tire, and then move it to the opposite side in the rear, is your tape or mark now on the inside?? Nope!!
I spent 25 years working on an alignment rack, as well as other things being an ase certified master mechanic.

Yes, i cross rotate my tires as well that are able to be. Not all vehickes have the same size wheels in all 4 corners, or asymmetric tires,

I was going easy with my post you wanted to quote, hope this and google clears up your confusion. If not feel free to believe your alternative facts.
Old 01-29-19, 04:33 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

The tyres were rotated? usually means the wheels/tyres are just moved around the vehicle, you're saying the tyres were removed from the wheels and turned around and refitted?.

Sorry I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand what's happened with your car/tyres. Like I suggested earlier the alignment was not far out of spec, from memory one was 1.5 (spec has up to 1.4) and the others were similar. It's just not too far out and very surprised it caused premature wear.

Anyway I guess you'll find out down the road if it's helped much.

Quick Reply: 2017 RX450h camber & alignment warranty