RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Add heated backseat after purchase? Is the car prewired for them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 08:02 AM
mjnoles1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add heated backseat after purchase? Is the car prewired for them?

My Mom just purchased a 2017 RX350 with all options, other than the rear power/heated backseat. Is there a way to add the heated backseat afterwards?

I ask as I remember on my old 2004 Lexus IS300 that the car was prewired for the heated front seats, the only thing missing was the heated seat buttons and the actual seats with the heat pads inside
Old 02-04-19, 08:38 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question. I would like to know as well.
Old 02-04-19, 08:46 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

I think there is another thread that mentions people adding it at the dealership after purchase, so it makes sense that the wires would already be there.
Old 02-05-19, 03:45 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

the back seat is also power recline, as well as power folding.
switches on the side of each seat, and the right rear cargo area,

adding heat might not be a difficult option, going aftermarket, or what might be called a dealer installed option. replacing the complete rear seat assembly might get interesting. Certainly worth a call if thats what you want.

my RX was the first one my dealer had seen come in, with the power rear option, very rare option in my district

Last edited by JSracer; 02-05-19 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 12:00 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

The car is prewired for the WHOLE seat, not for adding a pad to it. Some people have done it I don't know the cost but if I vaguely remember it was substantial, others have followed a cheaper and IMO very nice alternative by covering the seat with real sheepskin.

P.S Please disregard this post I didn't realize you were talking about the back seats.

Last edited by Cocal; 02-06-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-08-19, 01:23 PM
Googs
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did anyone figure this out, if the rear seats were pre-wired for heat?
Old 07-09-19, 04:47 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
well, the heat switches are in the back of the center council area, someone could check if there is wiring there, the power switches are on the right rear cargo area, could see if there is wiring there.

if rear heat is desired, aftermarket, high low that many vehicles have across different brands might be a good option.
switches like this or similar are aftermarket heaters.

Old 07-09-19, 01:59 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Googs
Looking at the parts diagrams for the 2017 RX, I counted ten different floor wiring harnesses depending on a variety of factors including whether there are only front seat heaters or both front and rear seat heaters. That would seem to indicate that there is no rear seat heater support in the floor wiring harness for an RX that didn't come with rear seat heaters.

The attached diagram shows the 2017 RX rear seat heater elements.

The following users liked this post:
CHIKIRXL22 (03-26-22)
Old 09-18-19, 05:30 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Adding Factory Rear Heated Seats

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has successfully added factory rear heated seats to their 4th gen RX 350?

I have been looking into it and getting pushback from my dealership. Only reason I've been pursuing the factory vs aftermarket ones is that I have personally found that my RX appears to be partially prewired for the rear heated seats. In the back part of the main center console where the cigarette lighter is - that whole piece pops off. When you take it off - right there in front of you is the wire in its little holder that plugs directly into the rear heated seat switch. So next I go and look in the engine bay fuse box and - low - and - behold there is a 20 amp fuse for the rear heated seats. It is sitting right above the 2 fuses for the front left and right heated seats... Parts guy at the dealership said that it is a dummy fuse and can't tell if it is live unless you disassemble the entire fuse box. He also told me that there is different foam and leather for the heated seats vs non heated seats... I'm calling you know what on that. I've never heard that in 45 years of me and my friends working on or modding cars. I do know that there is NuLuxe, Analine and one other type of leather as seat material options on the RX. I've already added the lighted sill plates (also prewired) and the JSpec sequential taillights. It is a global platform so I'm thinking most of this stuff is prewired to save them cost for carrying multiple wiring harness sku's. Oh. It's also prewired for the rear trailer hitch. I got up under the rear bumper and found the harness & plug just tucked away up there nice and neat.

Relevant info is appreciated. Debating as to why I'm wanting to look into this is not. I think of it as a challenge to make it factory spec. I've done this for years on all of my other Toyotas so I know a lot of the times it is doable.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Emaniat; 09-18-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 07:35 PM
ZitoMD
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this thread is two years old but was wondering if anyone was able to succeed in adding the rear heated seats?
Old 02-06-22, 02:15 AM
Emaniat
Driver

Originally Posted by ZitoMD
I know this thread is two years old but was wondering if anyone was able to succeed in adding the rear heated seats?
No I did not. Life got in the way. Mine is prewired for the switch. I wasn’t able to get time to unbolt the rear seats to check for the wiring harness in the floor. If the harness is in the floor then it should be doable. Expensive for new seats but can probably find some in a junk yard.
Old 02-13-22, 11:02 AM
feakara1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Some pics from a 2017 RX f sport

Pics are from 2017 RX 350 f sport. I have the wire connection for heated seats in the rear center console . Here are the wires underneath the jacking tools behind the seats. There is a connector in the middle behind the brown plastic part. I am wondering if that has anything to do with rear heated seats. Not sure if my car has the heated seat pads.

Here is the connector that is taped up it has a pink red black wire.

Is this a connection for rear heated seats?

This is under the rear driver side passenger seat

Old 02-13-22, 01:05 PM
Emaniat
Driver

Ok. Picture 8 and 9. Looks like there should be a wiring harness where the blank white plug is. Not sure what all you would need. Definitely upper and lower pad and then maybe a harness that would connect the two and then go to either another harness or to another main harness. Parts numbers should help. Then maybe call the parts department and see what other harness they have. They’ll give you crap. Tell them a mouse ate the harness or something messed it up vs you telling them you’re trying to retrofit them.
Old 02-13-22, 07:53 PM
ZitoMD
10th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems promising if all we need is to get some heating pads and a wiring harness.

Will have to study some parts diagrams online to see if it can be figured out.
Old 02-14-22, 01:19 AM
Emaniat
Driver

👍. Cool. Hope it works out. I love it when we can figure out things that the parts department can’t.
The following users liked this post:
Buck6197 (08-30-22)

Quick Reply: Add heated backseat after purchase? Is the car prewired for them?