RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus’s First Two Complimentary Services

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 10:03 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus’s First Two Complimentary Services

Does anyone know if Lexus’s first two complimentary maintenance services ever expire? The Warranty and Service guide does mention 6 months or 5K miles and 12 months and 10K miles whichever comes first. The reason I am asking is that I just got a call from the dealer urging me to schedule my second complimentary service soon since in March it’s going to be 12 months since I got the car. The customer service rep mentioned that the second complimentary service expires in 12 months. I will only be at around 8K miles in March and thinking to delay the service by a month or so. In fact, I didn’t even realize that I drive less with my current car so I went for my first complimentary service after 8 months at 5.5K miles. The dealer I used (not the same that called me today) didn’t mention anything about having to do my first service within 6 months for it to be free. I do realize that the first service is pretty much a tire rotation which is more sensitive to mileage than time. The second one involves changing the oil which does get older with time even if you don’t drive a lot. Is delaying the oil change by a month over 12 when my mileage will only be around 9K a big deal?

Last edited by javapro; 02-25-19 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 10:58 AM
17RX350F
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes they do expire but if you call them and explain and schedule awhile they should let you keep it. I had a similar experience and that is what I did.
Old 02-06-19, 11:00 AM
NguyenAT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they recommended change your oil once a year if you don’t drive it that much. I haven’t do my 1st service yet. Its 8 months old and only has 2.5k miles.

Originally Posted by javapro
Does anyone know if Lexus’s first two complimentary maintenance services ever expire? The Warranty and Service guide does mention 6 months or 5K miles and 12 months and 10K miles whichever comes first. The reason I am asking is that I just got a call from the dealer urging me to schedule my second complimentary service soon since in March it’s going to be 12 months since I got the car. The customer service rep mentioned that the second complimentary service expires in 12 months. I will only be at around 8K miles in March and thinking to delay the service by a month or so. In fact, I didn’t even realize that I drive less with my current car so I went for my first complimentary service after 8 months at 5.5K miles. The dealer I used (not the same that called me today) didn’t mention anything about having to do my first service within 6 months for it to be free. I do realize that the first service is pretty much a tire rotation which is more sensitive to mileage than time. The second one involves changing the oil which does get older with time even if you don’t drive a lot. Is delaying the oil change by a month over 6 when my mileage will only be around 9K a big deal?
Old 02-06-19, 11:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Things may be different here in Canada, but on mine 1st Service was at 1,500 Km 2nd at 8,000 Km (both free of charge) no time limiting factor and 1st FUL service at 16,000 or 12 months.

If you do not drive much I don't see why they can't be postponed, but I'd have done already the 1st oil & filter change as recommended, the 2nd oil & filter at 16,000Km, This is what should worry you if you have not changed the oil when recommended as it gives the company an out in case of a warranty claim. I'm sure that everything will be OK. IMO the dealer that told you about the time limit is trying to pressure you into bringing the car in s that hey may sell you more services.
Old 02-06-19, 10:29 PM
PredatorRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked the same question to my service advisor. The dealership provides a six month grace period from the time the car hits the 1 year anniversary. For example my car's 1 year anniversary is April, I have until October to bring it in for the 10K service. Every dealership maybe different. If the dealership you went to doesn't do that, try calling another dealership to find out.
Old 02-07-19, 06:47 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by PredatorRx
I asked the same question to my service advisor. The dealership provides a six month grace period from the time the car hits the 1 year anniversary. For example my car's 1 year anniversary is April, I have until October to bring it in for the 10K service. Every dealership maybe different. If the dealership you went to doesn't do that, try calling another dealership to find out.
I too would take it it to another dealer!
One word of caution, your dealer's extension applies only to the service and not the oil & filter change which must be performed according to the manual or else you may invalidate the warranty.
Old 02-07-19, 08:16 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by PredatorRx
So 18 months before an oil change? Probably pushing the envelope there.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (02-07-19)
Old 02-08-19, 04:41 AM
javapro
Driver

Thanks for all your replies. I will most likely do my second service around my first year anniversary.
Old 02-25-19, 06:10 PM
javapro
Driver

Quick update: I called the dealership where I usually service my car and was told that I have until the end of March (my 12 months anniversary is on March 3rd) to do my 2nd complimentary service, otherwise I would have to pay for it.
Old 02-26-19, 07:10 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Typically synthetic oil is viewed as safely making it to 1 year out, but the heat/cool cycles and usage makes it break down as opposed to being stored in it's bottle unused. Since the initial 5,000 mile service is not an oil change this 12 month one is viewed as the more important one as it's the first. Remember the days when break-in oil was a significantly shorter interval?!?
Old 02-26-19, 10:02 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The six month grace extension regards the time period within which Lexus Corporate will pay for
the 10K/1 year service under warrantee. Dealers would have to eat the parts and labor if submitted
18 month after Date of First Use.
Old 03-02-19, 09:08 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Last week my wife and I picked up a non CPO 2017 RX with only 7350 miles and was curious myself so I called my Lexus dealer on this exact topic. Here what our SA Manager told me. Every Lexus comes with complimentary first and second scheduled maintenance services. These services are provided at 6 months/5,000 miles and 12 months/10,000 miles. But he also indicated most dealers will extend to 18 months from your "First date of use" in our case it was 12/2017 so he said we have until end of June 2019 to get in our 10k maintenance service for free. Also seems there was a recall for our vehicle (I believe he said it was a brake assist vacuum) that hasn't being performed yet so will schedule that soon to get that fixed.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 03-03-19 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-02-19, 09:12 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Also seems there was a recall for our vehicle (I believe he said it was a brake assist vacuum) that hasn't being performed yet so will schedule that soon to get that fixed
I have the same vehicle and no recall was ever issued for that. There was a recall fro the radar activating the brakes under certain circumstance in an automated car wash.
Old 03-04-19, 10:17 AM
PotOdds
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Can the complimentary service be done at any Lexus dealer? I have some closer dealerships than where I bought the vehicle.
Old 03-04-19, 11:05 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
I have the same vehicle and no recall was ever issued for that. There was a recall fro the radar activating the brakes under certain circumstance in an automated car wash.
I did a search and There is a recall in Canada # SRC R59 / SRX R60 only 220 units are affected for the RX350 2017 MY only.
I have not been notified so I assume my VIN is not part of the recall, but will check when I next go to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Lexus’s First Two Complimentary Services