RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear fog lights & navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19 | 10:06 AM
EUTRAVELER
Driver School Candidate

Question Rear fog lights & navigation system

picture showing the hitch receiver

LEFT REAR (TAIL LIGHT)

Hello guys!

I own an RX450h FSport from 2018. I am thinking on moving to Europe and heard that REAR FOG lights are mandatory while they are not in US. Does anybody know if Lexus US can do something about that? I don't want to move there and ending up puting an aftermarket fog lamp on my bumper.
On the other hand, i also heard about the Navigation, meaning that it does not work in Europe. Is that true? cannot be updated with maps from there?

I feel very frustrated about NO SINGLE ANSWER from Lexus so that's why I am trying to find out some help from the 'real experts'.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EUTRAVELER; 02-07-19 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-07-19 | 01:13 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Compliance requirements vary from country to country and exemptions are sometimes granted.

If you need a rear fog light, it's far easier and less expensive to add one below the rear bumper and put a switch for it on the dashboard since your U.S. spec Lexus doesn't have the infrastructure to support one. The attached photo shows ECE compliant rear fog lights on two current vehicles - purchased on eBay Germany from seller Lights for Bikes ... very high quality ... barely noticeable ... approval authority is Netherlands.

It's doubtful that your navigation system and radio can be made to work in Europe. If anyone could, it would be Navilex and they don't show anything for the U.S. spec gen 4 RX: http://www.navilex.hu/lexus_us.html

Old 02-07-19 | 01:34 PM
EUTRAVELER
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Kansas....

i do not have many hope for that. i will be sad if I have to sell this car for that reason.

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-19 | 12:01 AM
Onion
Driver

Can you just remove that light after it lands in Europe? I doubt police will stop your car and check if you have a rear fog lamp.
Old 03-03-19 | 03:14 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Onion
Can you just remove that light after it lands in Europe? I doubt police will stop your car and check if you have a rear fog lamp.
They have annual inspections in Europe. Would be caught on the inspection and failed.

Give them a call:

https://www.lexus.de/haendler/forum-frankfurt/#

You won't be the first non Euro vehicle imported and converted to run over there.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 03-03-19 at 03:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EUTRAVELER (03-12-19)
Old 03-04-19 | 11:23 AM
Cocal
Racer

How long will you be staying in Europe? If not above a certain period of time I don't think you need to comply, IDK what the length is. Either that or there must be a kit or else no non euro travelers could bring their car.
As for navigation you need a european update, once there go to a Lexus dealer and have them do it, it will cost probably the same as an update here.
It's only money, the great problem solver!
EUTRAVELER (03-12-19)
Old 03-04-19 | 12:52 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

You'd be better selling it here and buy or lease over there.
It will cost you a lot just to transport the vehicle and convert it to their regulations.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeeVee:
EUTRAVELER (03-12-19), mcomer (03-04-19)
Old 03-12-19 | 01:26 PM
EUTRAVELER
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your answer, Randy B. I have contacted Lexus dealer in Beligum, and they are not being very clear on their answers, but i am researching other ways to see if it is feasible. Whatever i can go from here, will be posting for others to have the guidance.

Regards,
Jordi.
Old 03-12-19 | 02:30 PM
EUTRAVELER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
How long will you be staying in Europe? If not above a certain period of time I don't think you need to comply, IDK what the length is. Either that or there must be a kit or else no non euro travelers could bring their car.
As for navigation you need a european update, once there go to a Lexus dealer and have them do it, it will cost probably the same as an update here.
It's only money, the great problem solver!
I will probably stay for 2-4 years. The navigation i think will be an issue as well. at least is what everybody is telling me.It seems GPS system in Europe VS USA is different so hardware and software is different as well.

i am not sure about that yet.
Old 03-12-19 | 04:49 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Originally Posted by EUTRAVELER
I will probably stay for 2-4 years. The navigation i think will be an issue as well. at least is what everybody is telling me.It seems GPS system in Europe VS USA is different so hardware and software is different as well.

i am not sure about that yet.
Likely that Europe use the Russian satellites GLONASS instead of the US ones NAVSTAR (now know as GPS I think)
EUTRAVELER (03-13-19)