RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Clicking sounds from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-19, 02:07 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are happy in your life and your car rattles, God's grace.

And please do not engage in conversation, unless you have some solutions to offer!
Old 03-24-19, 05:52 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
Sad to say my RX has more than fair share of random rattles and creaks from various parts. Not acceptable for such a luxury vehicle. I have pursued them with the dealership a few times but with all the fuss the service techs put up, I decided to live with these issues.

That being said, my latest issue was caused by a loose license plate (and rusty screws holding the license plate) on the hatch door. I invested in a silicone bracket and stainless steel screws; rattles no more.
Where was your RX made?
Old 03-28-19, 07:59 PM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the car back today. It was a sunroof issue. They had the car for 13 days. The noise is gone. They also applied the hesitation fix which improved the way the car accelerates.

All n all, I am happy now!
Old 03-28-19, 09:55 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by asheville
I got the car back today. It was a sunroof issue. They had the car for 13 days. The noise is gone. They also applied the hesitation fix which improved the way the car accelerates.

Congrats!!! I know how that feels. I had a rattle that was fixed by Lexus, and it was such a relief after it was gone. It is great that Lexus fixed the issue for you at the end of your warranty period.
Old 03-28-19, 09:58 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
My logic is simple. A "Luxury" brand car with MSRP > $50K should not have issues like random rattles. My previous luxury car didn't.

The issue of random rattles and squeaks in a "Luxury" car only a few years old, signifies poor craftsmanship. And the company should stand behind their product and try to deliver what the customer expects from such a price tag. If not, then they must stand up and say "We have an inferior product, and our cars will never be as good as the Germans"; rather than make up statements to pass the buck.

Now I know i will receive a lot of hate for saying what I just said. Honestly if you have owned a Luxury vehicle prior to Lexus and did not experience quality issues before, comparisons are inevitable.

If someone is happy by spending > $50K on a car that squeaks and rattles at random within a year of ownership; Kudos to you! You just bought a very expensive rattle-toy. I am not that person. I think my hard earned money deserves better. Thats why I do not recommend anyone to buy a Lexus product. (Cue the hate-mail now)
I think your feeling is fair. I would feel the same if I have rattles. I did, and it was frustrating. Lucky for me my issue was fixed.
Old 03-29-19, 04:42 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by asheville

was yours the pano roof, or regular size sunroof ??
Glad it was fixed, noises can be a pain for sure.
Old 03-29-19, 04:53 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Just throwing another "click" out here that I recently had fixed. My rear hatch lock kept trying to auto-lock every 30 seconds (it was malfunctioning) so I'd hear this click, click, click but when the car went off the click also went away. The dealer spent 4 hours tracing it down yesterday so finally no more clicking. Luckily, the malfunction did not interfere with the hatch unlocking so I was able to use it as normal which made it harder to figure out. Now, if I could just figure out what is "rattling" around my drivers door I'd be happy. So far, it seems my car is shy and I only hear it when I'm in the car. It seems the last 2 times when I took a lexus tech on a drive, the sound wasn't there. Very frustrating.
Old 09-29-19, 07:32 PM
YassB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is your RX? Mine is 2017 and the clicking sounds like its coming from the rear window area. What kind of click was yours?
Old 10-07-19, 05:44 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by YassB
What year is your RX? Mine is 2017 and the clicking sounds like its coming from the rear window area. What kind of click was yours?

(2016) Mine too but I thought it was coming from where the security belt wheel is located. They said it is the rear door arm assembly (and shows some signs of rust too) that shakes. The parts are order and waiting for an appointment to change them. Still 4 months of warranty left...
Old 10-25-19, 07:55 AM
solnicjo
Driver School Candidate

Default Ticking/clicking noise from backseat passenger side

Hello everyone .... Its been a while since I've been on this site. My 2018 RX350 F Sport has a ticking or clicking sound coming from the 40% passenger backseat. When someone is sitting in the seat or the seat is moved forward or when the backrest is completely down the noise disappears. The dealer has told me that there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had this issue and was it resolved.

Thanks for your support.
Old 10-25-19, 09:12 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by solnicjo
Hello everyone .... Its been a while since I've been on this site. My 2018 RX350 F Sport has a ticking or clicking sound coming from the 40% passenger backseat. When someone is sitting in the seat or the seat is moved forward or when the backrest is completely down the noise disappears. The dealer has told me that there is nothing they can do. Has anyone had this issue and was it resolved.
Thanks for your support.
Is this a consistent, constant clicking? Or is it occasional, like when going over a bump? If it's a constant, regular clicking, then it sounds like an electric relay or motor and it should be pretty easy to identify by tracing the sound.
An irregular noise could be like a rattle and much harder to find.
Old 06-11-20, 09:54 AM
solnicjo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Is this a consistent, constant clicking? Or is it occasional, like when going over a bump? If it's a constant, regular clicking, then it sounds like an electric relay or motor and it should be pretty easy to identify by tracing the sound.
An irregular noise could be like a rattle and much harder to find.
Hi Guys .... I apologize for not seeing this reply earlier. I have been trying to isolate that clicking/ticking sound. It sounds like two pieces of metal clicking. This happens occasionally on bumps but not all bumps. It also sounds like it is coming from the passenger exhaust system.
Love the RX but frustrated with the noise.
Please help.
John
Old 12-30-20, 03:19 PM
Krishh
Rookie

Default 2021 RX fsport trunk area clicking sound

Hello,

I recently bought a 2021 rx fsport. Sometimes I notice clicking sound coming from the back (Feel like its from the trunk area). It does not sound always and sometimes the sound comes even when the car is stopped. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks
Old 12-30-20, 04:53 PM
NCRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krishh
Hello,

I recently bought a 2021 rx fsport. Sometimes I notice clicking sound coming from the back (Feel like its from the trunk area). It does not sound always and sometimes the sound comes even when the car is stopped. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks
Usually happens right after a gas fill up but have heard it at other times. I believe this TSB has been updated to include the 2021. L-SB-0046-18 REV

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...53199-9999.pdf
Knocking Noise From Fuel Tank Area L-SB-0046-18

Last edited by NCRX350; 12-30-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-20, 08:55 PM
Krishh
Rookie

Default 2021 rx350 fsport clicking sound

Hello,

I recently got a 2021 rx fsport. I notice some clicking sound coming from the rear end(feel its from the trunk area). It does not occur while going over the bumps or something. Sometimes i hear whenever the car is idling or stationary...

Has anyone noticed this?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Clicking sounds from rear end