RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Infotainment system froze

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19 | 01:38 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

I can't agree more on the benefits of leasing (unfortunately our tax authorities made it less attractive driving company cars privately here in Europe). Private leasing is gaining weight, but slowly. Unless you're building a house, transporting large dogs or scuba diving equipment etc. it's worth considering for sure.

Personally, I like driving high tech cars, albeit last week I learnt the hard way Lexus doesn't feel the slightest commitment to contribute on a goodwill basis to repair items which shouldn't fail after 4.5 years. On other Premium brands, this was quite different...

Last edited by CareAllend; 06-28-19 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-28-19 | 02:00 PM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Based on my experience and that of others, Infotainment lockups and other glitches are normal. Lexus doesn't care about the system or they would upgraded it to current technology years ago.

Last edited by kitlz; 06-28-19 at 02:17 PM. Reason: remove language workaround
Old 06-28-19 | 04:37 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by CareAllend
I can't agree more on the benefits of leasing (unfortunately our tax authorities made it less attractive driving company cars privately here in Europe). Private leasing is gaining weight, but slowly. Unless you're building a house, transporting large dogs or scuba diving equipment etc. it's worth considering for sure.

Personally, I like driving high tech cars, albeit last week I learnt the hard way Lexus doesn't feel the slightest commitment to contribute on a goodwill basis to repair items which shouldn't fail after 4.5 years. On other Premium brands, this was quite different...
I had a 2008 E350 and the electronics were pitiful, they've improved them on a friend's 2019 GLE 450, but not by much. One of the reasons why I bought a Lexus is that they have a reputation to live up to and would not have sourced out inferior products, but perhaps all electronics may be called inferior in terms of durability and trouble free operation,
maybe we should get used to it.
Old 06-29-19 | 12:37 AM
CareAllend
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cocal
I had a 2008 E350 and the electronics were pitiful, they've improved them on a friend's 2019 GLE 450, but not by much. One of the reasons why I bought a Lexus is that they have a reputation to live up to and would not have sourced out inferior products, but perhaps all electronics may be called inferior in terms of durability and trouble free operation,
maybe we should get used to it.
This also meets my experience: the overall reliability of my previous three MBs was less good than my Lexus NX, which was flawless during 4.5 years: that's why the sudden ECU failure, brutal and unexpected, was such of a shock! Add to this the emotionless claim of my repair shop to fix the electronics: "5000 euros, at least" (about 7470 CAD, 5700 US$)…

Last edited by CareAllend; 06-29-19 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-29-19 | 10:36 AM
Cocal
Racer

This also meets my experience: the overall reliability of my previous three MBs was less good than my Lexus NX, which was flawless during 4.5 years: that's why the sudden ECU failure, brutal and unexpected, was such of a shock! Add to this the emotionless claim of my repair shop to fix the electronics: "5000 euros, at least" (about 7470 CAD, 5700 US$)…
For whatever it's worth and it may not apply to Lux, the biggest problem is the connectors on these electronics which oxidate over time.
So every year I get the underside & engine bay sprayed by Krone, it's a rustproofing system which now is also available in Europe, this creates a mist which permeates every nook and cranny and get absorbed by the metal (due to its chemical composition). Best time to do this is late spring early summer to allow the heat to make the mist travel, there is a bit of dripping for 1 day, maybe 2. My cost for that is ca$80, I don't know if it really works or not, but had it done on my MB and had no electronic problem in 8yrs of ownership, so maybe I'm buying peace of mind
The following users liked this post:
CareAllend (06-29-19)
Old 06-29-19 | 12:23 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

For whatever it's worth and it may not apply to Lux, the biggest problem is the connectors on these electronics which oxidate over time.
So every year I get the underside & engine bay sprayed by Krone, it's a rustproofing system which now is also available in Europe, this creates a mist which permeates every nook and cranny and get absorbed by the metal (due to its chemical composition). Best time to do this is late spring early summer to allow the heat to make the mist travel, there is a bit of dripping for 1 day, maybe 2. My cost for that is ca$80, I don't know if it really works or not, but had it done on my MB and had no electronic problem in 8yrs of ownership, so maybe I'm buying peace of mind
Thanks so much for the tip: this will get my standard "yearly" procedure. Albeit we aren't close to seawater in Luxembourg, it's raining a lot … and my favorite sport is scuba diving, bringing my car frequently to the sea . So yes, corrosion is a potential issue.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (06-29-19)
Old 06-29-19 | 02:08 PM
Cocal
Racer

Thanks so much for the tip: this will get my standard "yearly" procedure. Albeit we aren't close to seawater in Luxembourg, it's raining a lot … and my favorite sport is scuba diving, bringing my car frequently to the sea . So yes, corrosion is a potential issue.
Let me know if you can find a Krown (not Krone, I must have been thinking in german ) Rust Control place, if you have problems I'll get in touch with Krown head office here in Ontario and let you know your closest location.
Old 06-29-19 | 06:45 PM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Default 2017 System LOCKED UP

0It happened to my 2017 RX. FORTUNATELY I knew where I was and did not panic that nav and everything else was frozen. I could not stop and start the RX. I will try the on/off of the radio, held for several seconds, next time to see if it reboots. Mine stayed frozen for 10 to 15 minutes.

Last edited by SCRXOwner; 06-30-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-29-19 | 06:56 PM
shq
Rookie

Had the same problem (kind of) with our Canadian 2016. Screen would be black when the vehicle started, then turn purple and eventually work. Updated the software, which I downloaded from https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads website. But it seemed things got worse. Took a video of it, then showed it to shop foreman. They've replaced the screen and it was resolved. Now the "fun" part, after they replaced the screen, occasionally, when I'd lock the vehicle, my hazard warning lights would come on and stay on till were manually turned off. Again took a video, and showed shop foreman. The vehicle is at a dealer for like 3 weeks now. They've ordered new ecu, which is supposedly coming from Japan, and is taking long time.
Old 06-29-19 | 11:27 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

Let me know if you can find a Krown (not Krone, I must have been thinking in german ) Rust Control place, if you have problems I'll get in touch with Krown head office here in Ontario and let you know your closest location.
Indeed I found many good comments on the web. In Europe, there is only one dealer in Slovenia, but Krown runs a good E-Shop in Ontario, where I can order directly. How many 400g cans are needed for one good seasonal treatment?
Old 06-29-19 | 11:34 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

Default ECU failure ...

Originally Posted by shq
Had the same problem (kind of) with our Canadian 2016. Screen would be black when the vehicle started, then turn purple and eventually work. Updated the software, which I downloaded from https://securedp.lexus.com/download-app/downloads website. But it seemed things got worse. Took a video of it, then showed it to shop foreman. They've replaced the screen and it was resolved. Now the "fun" part, after they replaced the screen, occasionally, when I'd lock the vehicle, my hazard warning lights would come on and stay on till were manually turned off. Again took a video, and showed shop foreman. The vehicle is at a dealer for like 3 weeks now. They've ordered new ecu, which is supposedly coming from Japan, and is taking long time.
You seem to experience EXACTLY what I did recently on my NX300h: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...aw-in-ecu.html

What cost estimate did they give you for replacing the ECU? Mine was 5000 Euros (7470 CAD, 5700 US$) …
Old 06-30-19 | 06:46 AM
shq
Rookie

You seem to experience EXACTLY what I did recently on my NX300h: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...aw-in-ecu.html

What cost estimate did they give you for replacing the ECU? Mine was 5000 Euros (7470 CAD, 5700 US$) …
Oh wow 5000 euros, crazy. it's being replaced under warranty. Though at first they tried to blame it on aftermarket remote starter (which i had to get unplugged by installer, just to prove it had nothing to do with it), then saying it could be because of the shashcam (are you kidding me?).
Old 06-30-19 | 07:19 AM
CareAllend
Rookie

Originally Posted by shq
Oh wow 5000 euros, crazy. it's being replaced under warranty. Though at first they tried to blame it on aftermarket remote starter (which i had to get unplugged by installer, just to prove it had nothing to do with it), then saying it could be because of the shashcam (are you kidding me?).
Remote starter, shashcam … killing the ECU … LOL Mine was blamed on the jump-start done by the mechanic called in by Lexus Assistance 24h/24, when the 12V battery was mysteriously depleted in the morning after the infotainment system had trouble to shut off the evening before. They blamed him having connected the jump-pack by reversing polarity.

I sincerely believe Lexus cars are extremely reliable with respect to what I've experienced previously on many other Premium brands&cars. This being said, I can't understand why they are so reluctant to admit failures might happen out of the blue and put blame on ridiculous external events. It seems financial pressure by the groups owning the dealers is huge ...

In older ECUs, failures were more common after 8-10 years, when capacitors started to leak; now you won't find any capacitors in the ECUs.
Old 06-30-19 | 07:56 AM
Cocal
Racer

Indeed I found many good comments on the web. In Europe, there is only one dealer in Slovenia, but Krown runs a good E-Shop in Ontario, where I can order directly. How many 400g cans are needed for one good seasonal treatment?
Truly I don't exactly know, but I'd think that 3 or 4 ought to be enough to spray the electronic boxes, I'd over buy if unsure as you can always keep the overage for the following year. If you go to their places they have a want they spray with and the fluid comes from a big tank.
Old 06-30-19 | 07:59 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by shq
I think you have a lousy & incompetent dealer, is there another dealer that you could go to ?

Quick Reply: Infotainment system froze