RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reliability VS GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 12:14 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Whats going on CL! Havent been in the RX section before, I have a GS and was debating upgrading to a 2013 GS or 2016 RX. The wife is driving me crazy for a bigger car since we have a 2 year old. I keep telling her the GS is good enough but lately I’ve been considering the RX more and more. Obviously the RX would be a bigger commitment $ wise, I’m just not sure if it’s worth the extra money and if it’s as reliable as the GS which is made in Japan. How has the reliability been for you guys with the 2016+ RX? I don’t like the looks of previous years or I would’ve considered a 2013-2015 RX as well. I know these are two totally different cars but someone help steer me in the right direction :-). I’m looking to own long term. I keep cars very long. I have had a 2001 GS430 for about 6 years. Took it from 90k to 180k.
My 2 kids are now 23 and 25 - here's my 2 cents from my expensive journey with family vehicles.

Bottom line: Having a convenient and capable vehicle when dealing with kids is worth any amount you can possibly afford to pay. We had 2 close together (17 mo a part) so we did the mini-van thing first. When they were 3 and 5 we figured "now we can go with something the size of a Subaru Forrester". Dead wrong. While it was OK for a while, once your child (or children) starting doing things with friends you run out of space real quick. So we went back up to a Honda Pilot, then Acura MDX. Kids got older and we thought "surely we can go with something the size of an RDX". Again dead wrong. Back to the MDX, and now an X5 (BTW, my personal car is the Lexus: 2016 RX450h F-Sport). Wife had the "family" car. So we own 2 mid-sized SUVs now and we're both as happy as we have ever been with our cars.

I'd recommend in the strongest possible way go with the RX. More cargo space when you need it, you have the option to add towing, roof racks, bike racks - all possible accessories you might need with kids (ever try to fit a kids bike in the trunk of a car? ). Plus you have the utility of going off-pavement if you visit parks or other places where ground clearance is better to have. Explore the 450h and you'll get respectable MPG too (I get 30-32 in mine).

Overall I've never regretted having too much vehicle, but I've always regretted having too little. And I can't say enough good things about my RX. I got it as a CPO just a couple months ago, 20k miles on it. But once I got past the fact that any kind of "spirited driving" isn't really an option, I love everything else about it. Even though it's just me most of the time. My previous was a 2016 IS 200t. I do miss the go-cart feel now and again, but being honest with myself I spend 98% of my time in the car commuting to work. In 2 years with the IS I got it out on a windy road once. I spent a lot of years buying a car for what I wanted to do rather than what I actually did. Commuting in the RX far more comfortable and enjoyable. And even with older kids, we can load up and go and everyone is comfortable.

Last edited by 1Louder; 04-04-19 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (04-05-19)
Old 04-05-19, 05:41 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Well said bro thanks. I was hoping I wouldn’t be convinced to get the RX but now I’m going to test drive it tomorrow

Originally Posted by 1Louder
My 2 kids are now 23 and 25 - here's my 2 cents from my expensive journey with family vehicles.

Bottom line: Having a convenient and capable vehicle when dealing with kids is worth any amount you can possibly afford to pay. We had 2 close together (17 mo a part) so we did the mini-van thing first. When they were 3 and 5 we figured "now we can go with something the size of a Subaru Forrester". Dead wrong. While it was OK for a while, once your child (or children) starting doing things with friends you run out of space real quick. So we went back up to a Honda Pilot, then Acura MDX. Kids got older and we thought "surely we can go with something the size of an RDX". Again dead wrong. Back to the MDX, and now an X5 (BTW, my personal car is the Lexus: 2016 RX450h F-Sport). Wife had the "family" car. So we own 2 mid-sized SUVs now and we're both as happy as we have ever been with our cars.

I'd recommend in the strongest possible way go with the RX. More cargo space when you need it, you have the option to add towing, roof racks, bike racks - all possible accessories you might need with kids (ever try to fit a kids bike in the trunk of a car? ). Plus you have the utility of going off-pavement if you visit parks or other places where ground clearance is better to have. Explore the 450h and you'll get respectable MPG too (I get 30-32 in mine).

Overall I've never regretted having too much vehicle, but I've always regretted having too little. And I can't say enough good things about my RX. I got it as a CPO just a couple months ago, 20k miles on it. But once I got past the fact that any kind of "spirited driving" isn't really an option, I love everything else about it. Even though it's just me most of the time. My previous was a 2016 IS 200t. I do miss the go-cart feel now and again, but being honest with myself I spend 98% of my time in the car commuting to work. In 2 years with the IS I got it out on a windy road once. I spent a lot of years buying a car for what I wanted to do rather than what I actually did. Commuting in the RX far more comfortable and enjoyable. And even with older kids, we can load up and go and everyone is comfortable.
1Louder (04-05-19)
Old 04-08-19, 08:22 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Also as a pro tip in married life, a happy wife is a happy life. If she's the one pushing for the bigger car, get the bigger car. Your 2 cents will be which bigger car you'll end up buying. I was in the same boat but we only have 1 child, he's 6. When we needed a reliable car, the only car that I like at that time (2013) was the newly redesigned Mazda 6. At that time, this car for what we paid for it had everything we needed, looks, space to comfortably sits 4, safety features such as BSM and backup camera. After 3-4 years, the wife started to ask for a bigger car. At around the same time, the RX was redesigned (2016) and she has been jonesing for one. I was finally able to stop procrastinating and got her what she wants. The compromise was that we went with a CPO versus a new car as it saved us about $20K due to the options.

This was literally 2 days ago so we're waiting for the car to be fully prepped by the dealer before we pick it up. Good luck to you and your search!
Old 04-08-19, 08:37 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Yeah well my wife wants a Panamera now...
Old 04-08-19, 08:47 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Yeah well my wife wants a Panamera now...
LMAO, why did you think I procrastinated? If it was too easy to get the RX, you know the upgrade is coming. Good luck!
Old 05-10-19, 11:22 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Well in case you guys can’t already tell by the multiple threads I’ve been creating lately, I ended up getting a 2017 RX F Sport. You guys were right, the difference is night and day putting stuff in the trunk and taking the baby in and out of the car seat. Worth every penny.

Thanks for all the excellent advice!
1Louder (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 11:37 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Well in case you guys can’t already tell by the multiple threads I’ve been creating lately, I ended up getting a 2017 RX F Sport. You guys were right, the difference is night and day putting stuff in the trunk and taking the baby in and out of the car seat. Worth every penny.

Congrats! Yah, not having to bend/struggle to get the kid out is helpful, haha.
Old 05-10-19, 12:01 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Congrats! Yah, not having to bend/struggle to get the kid out is helpful, haha.
You really don’t realize how helpful it is until you experience not having to bend down for the trunk and back seat. I can only imagine an LX lol
Old 05-10-19, 12:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Congrats DMPesso! Pics?
Old 05-10-19, 12:59 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Thanks! Haven’t really had a chance to take pics, but here are the two I snapped the other day. Coming from a 2001 GS430 is a huge change, so many features I feel like an old man with a flip phone but I’m getting used to it.

signdetres (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 01:03 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

That looks great! That RX looking like it's fully decked out. Funny, my wife who drives the newly acquired RX said the same thing. Coming from a basic sedan (Which I'm driving now, ha), all the flips/switches/screens is borderline distracting but cool! When we services the car recently for a couple of TSB, they loaned us a base NX. The difference in not having all of the bells and whistles actually mattered this time around.

The gotcha is that, whatever the next car will be, the bar has been raised rather high...lol
Old 05-10-19, 01:20 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats!!
Old 05-10-19, 01:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2ndName
That looks great! That RX looking like it's fully decked out. Funny, my wife who drives the newly acquired RX said the same thing. Coming from a basic sedan (Which I'm driving now, ha), all the flips/switches/screens is borderline distracting but cool! When we services the car recently for a couple of TSB, they loaned us a base NX. The difference in not having all of the bells and whistles actually mattered this time around.

The gotcha is that, whatever the next car will be, the bar has been raised rather high...lol
Lol yea my wife saying the same thing but she loves it. It’s the f sport with the triple beam LEDS and running boards which add to the looks I think. I told myself only way I’m getting an RX is if it’s a 2017 (for safety suite standard) f sport and with the triple LEDs, I think it makes the whole car. I see a few f sports around my way without them and it’s a big difference. Funny because at first I was a bit disappointed with the RX, coming from my V8 430. The hesitation and slow tranny were noticeable. I read somewhere that someone tried premium gas and it helped and it made me realize something. Years ago this same engine Lexus was recommending 93 gas but I feel like they started recommending regular gas to make the car appeal more to the family type who usually buys an RX and would otherwise be turned off by the premium requirement. Yes the car can run on 87 but it’s horrible without premium gas. Feels like a new car with 93 in it. Now I’m truly in love
Old 05-10-19, 01:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Looks great! I have the triple LEDs on my GS and I feel like they change the entire presence of the front of the car. Well done!
Old 05-10-19, 01:50 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
Looks great! I have the triple LEDs on my GS and I feel like they change the entire presence of the front of the car. Well done!
Had no idea triple LEDS were an option on the GS. When I was looking for one I never noticed. 2016 + only right ?

Quick Reply: Reliability VS GS