RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reliability VS GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 06:47 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Reliability VS GS

Whats going on CL! Havent been in the RX section before, I have a GS and was debating upgrading to a 2013 GS or 2016 RX. The wife is driving me crazy for a bigger car since we have a 2 year old. I keep telling her the GS is good enough but lately I’ve been considering the RX more and more. Obviously the RX would be a bigger commitment $ wise, I’m just not sure if it’s worth the extra money and if it’s as reliable as the GS which is made in Japan. How has the reliability been for you guys with the 2016+ RX? I don’t like the looks of previous years or I would’ve considered a 2013-2015 RX as well. I know these are two totally different cars but someone help steer me in the right direction :-). I’m looking to own long term. I keep cars very long. I have had a 2001 GS430 for about 6 years. Took it from 90k to 180k.
Old 04-03-19, 09:08 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly, just get a Sienna. Power sliding doors may be the greatest automotive invention ever.
Old 04-03-19, 09:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Usual
Honestly, just get a Sienna. Power sliding doors may be the greatest automotive invention ever.
ha yea that’s a good point but I would NEVER buy a minivan. I don’t need something that large. Was considering the NX also, looks like it’s not even larger then a GS except taller though
Old 04-03-19, 09:32 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Whats going on CL! Havent been in the RX section before, I have a GS and was debating upgrading to a 2013 GS or 2016 RX. The wife is driving me crazy for a bigger car since we have a 2 year old. I keep telling her the GS is good enough but lately I’ve been considering the RX more and more. Obviously the RX would be a bigger commitment $ wise, I’m just not sure if it’s worth the extra money and if it’s as reliable as the GS which is made in Japan. How has the reliability been for you guys with the 2016+ RX? I don’t like the looks of previous years or I would’ve considered a 2013-2015 RX as well. I know these are two totally different cars but someone help steer me in the right direction :-). I’m looking to own long term. I keep cars very long. I have had a 2001 GS430 for about 6 years. Took it from 90k to 180k.
Do what I did, I have both a 2015 GS F-Sport and recently added a 2017 RX loaded for my wife. Best of both worlds and satisfies all parties including the 2 year old. Win-win!
Old 04-03-19, 09:33 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Do what I did, I have both a 2015 GS F-Sport and recently added a 2017 RX loaded for my wife. Best of both worlds and satisfies all parties including the 2 year old. Win-win!
dont need two cars, which one you like better? If you had to only keep one which would it be?
Old 04-03-19, 09:33 AM
Usual
Driver

I had a V70 when my son was 2, it was much more practical than the RX for kids - lower/easier access and bigger trunk. I find the NX is quite small, but you'd have to try it yourself.
Old 04-03-19, 09:53 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Usual
I had a V70 when my son was 2, it was much more practical than the RX for kids - lower/easier access and bigger trunk. I find the NX is quite small, but you'd have to try it yourself.
i wish there was a station wagon that actually looked nice. They should make. GS hatch back lol. That’s why I was wondering the NX seems to be smaller then a GS inside.
Old 04-03-19, 10:30 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

dont need two cars, which one you like better? If you had to only keep one which would it be?
Truth be told if the RX is 100x more practical for a family/child and for overall space, comfort and utility. I honestly hate SUVs and would personally never drive one as my personal DD but the entire reason my wife went for an RX is our GS is simply to small for a growing toddler, bags, groceries, strollers etc.. not to mention a pain to pull in and out a toddler of the back car seat and not easy on our backs either. It's certainty doable but once you get a child in/out of an RX and how much easier and quick it is, I can see the love and appeal for SUV's it's just not my personal cup of tea. I also have a 2 year old and we have the same model Graco child car seats in both the GS and RX and although the GS does perfectly fine to carry around a kid, the main issue with this sedan is it's nowhere near as roomy and easy to haul all the crap around for a toddler, his/her feet will touch the back seat and constantly be kicking it, they will kick the side panels and ruin your leather on the door panels, stain the crap out of the windows, essentially all the toddler miscues in car because it's so small back there and the because the child car seats are so huge nowadays because of the safety requirements they have very deep seating and head rests that it will take up the entire back seat of the GS and leave little room for growth. Essentially you will have to put the passenger seat all the way up front, which is nice when it's just you and the kid, but if you have a passenger, good luck. Whereas in the RX, these things are designed for children/family utility in mind and once you actually use it daily to haul the kid around and all the stuff associated with a child you will instantly see why the RX is the more practical choice and why Lexus sell these like mad.

I love the fact that I have my GS for my DD and my wife's RX for our family hauler but her DD, so from someone with a 2 year toddler perspective and point of view the RX make sense in the long term. In your case since you need to downsize to a single vehicle, you will be compromising allot in terms of driving dynamics compared to the GS driving experience so don't expect that from the RX. If you could somehow keep the GS and get an RX that would be ideal, but you may regret getting the RX as the sole family hauler but in the end would follow your wife's lead and go for an RX but somehow convince her to keep your GS. My 2 cents.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 04-03-19 at 10:31 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-03-19, 11:02 AM
Usual
Driver

i wish there was a station wagon that actually looked nice. They should make. GS hatch back lol. That’s why I was wondering the NX seems to be smaller then a GS inside.
There is a rumour that the A6 wagon may be coming to North America. When I bought my RX last year the A4 wagon was my 2nd choice.
Old 04-03-19, 11:19 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

We had a Honda Accord before changing (11 yo that we were supposed to switch to more luxurious before but did not happen, the kids grew up in that car). I was going for a GS because I wanted a large trunk and cabin space like the Accord, but most of all I wanted AWD, which the ES could not provide.

But my son was playing hockey every weekend and now and then we were bringing other kids along when playing out of town, and the trunk of a car was not sufficient for their equipment bags. I then said, hey, why don't we go for a SUV.

We tried both the GS and RX (actually NX too but discarded it very quickly, cabin space is small). We liked both but for the trunk space, I preferred the RX.

My son stopped playing, but so far it has been very useful for all of our vacation trips.

I also like the fact that the view is higher on the road and I grew more and more fond into SUV when I had only sedans before.
Old 04-03-19, 11:34 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Exsctly what I was looking to hear. Thanks bro well said. Basically a GS is doable but the RX is the best way to go if you have a kid. Maybe, I can have the best of both worlds and get an RX F Sport. I actually like how the RX drives when I test drove it I’m not all into sporty handling I actually prefer comfort. I really just like the GS for the style and how it drives but the RX drives good too. Damn now I really am 50/50!

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Truth be told if the RX is 100x more practical for a family/child and for overall space, comfort and utility. I honestly hate SUVs and would personally never drive one as my personal DD but the entire reason my wife went for an RX is our GS is simply to small for a growing toddler, bags, groceries, strollers etc.. not to mention a pain to pull in and out a toddler of the back car seat and not easy on our backs either. It's certainty doable but once you get a child in/out of an RX and how much easier and quick it is, I can see the love and appeal for SUV's it's just not my personal cup of tea. I also have a 2 year old and we have the same model Graco child car seats in both the GS and RX and although the GS does perfectly fine to carry around a kid, the main issue with this sedan is it's nowhere near as roomy and easy to haul all the crap around for a toddler, his/her feet will touch the back seat and constantly be kicking it, they will kick the side panels and ruin your leather on the door panels, stain the crap out of the windows, essentially all the toddler miscues in car because it's so small back there and the because the child car seats are so huge nowadays because of the safety requirements they have very deep seating and head rests that it will take up the entire back seat of the GS and leave little room for growth. Essentially you will have to put the passenger seat all the way up front, which is nice when it's just you and the kid, but if you have a passenger, good luck. Whereas in the RX, these things are designed for children/family utility in mind and once you actually use it daily to haul the kid around and all the stuff associated with a child you will instantly see why the RX is the more practical choice and why Lexus sell these like mad.

I love the fact that I have my GS for my DD and my wife's RX for our family hauler but her DD, so from someone with a 2 year toddler perspective and point of view the RX make sense in the long term. In your case since you need to downsize to a single vehicle, you will be compromising allot in terms of driving dynamics compared to the GS driving experience so don't expect that from the RX. If you could somehow keep the GS and get an RX that would be ideal, but you may regret getting the RX as the sole family hauler but in the end would follow your wife's lead and go for an RX but somehow convince her to keep your GS. My 2 cents.
Old 04-03-19, 11:35 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yea I had that same experience when I drove a loaner I actually got used to the height and smooth ride of the RX. Especially since I live in Brooklyn these roads suck

Originally Posted by PeeVee
We had a Honda Accord before changing (11 yo that we were supposed to switch to more luxurious before but did not happen, the kids grew up in that car). I was going for a GS because I wanted a large trunk and cabin space like the Accord, but most of all I wanted AWD, which the ES could not provide.

But my son was playing hockey every weekend and now and then we were bringing other kids along when playing out of town, and the trunk of a car was not sufficient for their equipment bags. I then said, hey, why don't we go for a SUV.

We tried both the GS and RX (actually NX too but discarded it very quickly, cabin space is small). We liked both but for the trunk space, I preferred the RX.

My son stopped playing, but so far it has been very useful for all of our vacation trips.

I also like the fact that the view is higher on the road and I grew more and more fond into SUV when I had only sedans before.
Old 04-03-19, 01:12 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Exsctly what I was looking to hear. Thanks bro well said. Basically a GS is doable but the RX is the best way to go if you have a kid. Maybe, I can have the best of both worlds and get an RX F Sport. I actually like how the RX drives when I test drove it I’m not all into sporty handling I actually prefer comfort. I really just like the GS for the style and how it drives but the RX drives good too. Damn now I really am 50/50!
What Honto said. Also, I wrecked my GS and went with the RX (read about it here). Although a great car, I miss the GS and I am planning on getting another GS... RX is practical, but GS is exhilarating.
Old 04-03-19, 01:29 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eddie420
What Honto said. Also, I wrecked my GS and went with the RX (read about it here). Although a great car, I miss the GS and I am planning on getting another GS... RX is practical, but GS is exhilarating.
love your username! See I wouldn’t describe the Gs430 as exhilarating, just “fun” to drive cuz of the v8 but loose and sloppy steering. i gotta drive a 4gs again it’s been a while. I just don’t recall being blown away by the handling although I only drove it on the street for a bit. U guys think the f sport is a no go for NYC roads? I’ve seen many f sports out here so it can’t be that bad
Old 04-03-19, 04:57 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

love your username! See I wouldn’t describe the Gs430 as exhilarating, just “fun” to drive cuz of the v8 but loose and sloppy steering. i gotta drive a 4gs again it’s been a while. I just don’t recall being blown away by the handling although I only drove it on the street for a bit. U guys think the f sport is a no go for NYC roads? I’ve seen many f sports out here so it can’t be that bad
The GS430 is quite different than the GS350. I loved my F-Sport when I had it, you'll be surprised how great the car is. Go for some spirited driving on the highways and you'll see what I mean. Not really a NYC street car but it sure is comfortable. I'm in NJ btw.

Quick Reply: Reliability VS GS