RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Infotainment System on RX350 2019 Model

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 01:45 PM
shamabibi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment System on RX350 2019 Model

I am now considering the RX350 after driving the 2004 RX330 for 15 years and loving it. In my research I read reports that state:
Edmunds says:
* Optional tech interface is distracting to use
* Less overall cargo capacity than competitors
US News says
* Remote Touch controller can be frustrating
* Small cargo hold

I would like to ask present owners of this car - how accurate are these reviews?
Old 05-01-19, 04:04 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I absolutely LOVE the control interface! On DAY ONE you'll think, "hmm... I'm gonna' have to get used to this"... but you WILL get used to it... pretty quickly. One of the things I hated about my last car, a Highlander, was the obscenely long reach to infotainment (if you can call it that in the Highlander) controls... literally leaning forward and stretching to reach controls? WTF?

Um... no. So the rumor is possibly turning that gorgeous 12.3" screen into a touch-screen in the future, but I don't care if they do... I love the interface. All the controls are right where your hand naturally rests. It's funny how the little joystick pad centers itself whenever you turn off/on the car (I wonder how many people have noticed it does this)... I mean seriously... it's an absolute joy. I love it.

I can see how a tester who spends an hour or so in the car would think, "WTF?"... just like a little kid or someone trying a new skill (that isn't very hard to master, but on day one, is frustrating)... it's good man... it's an extension of my hand... and no moving in the seat to make selections. Until they make an interface that can read your mind I think this is the next best thing. It's actually fun to use too.
Old 05-01-19, 04:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 872 Likes on 658 Posts

The Remote Controller works very well at sweeping and pointing at the Map Screen.
It is a bit fussier when scrolling lists so use the "rocker" that is provided just beyond the mouse.
Any list of three (3) or more items, songs, stations, phone numbers, destinations can be scrolled with the rocker.
Zoom the map in and out using the rocker.
Lexus verbal commands are getting better,
pair a phone with Lexus App Suite and use your phones verbal commands.

Do you need more cargo space than the '04?
Old 05-01-19, 08:37 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

The Remote Controller is only frustrating to use if you attempt to click on it to make your selection. It's really easy to move the cursor to another selection inadvertently given how deep you have to push the controller for it to 'click'. I've gotten around it by using the two buttons on the side instead, and it makes it much more manageable. I definitely prefer the Remote puck thing compared to the touchpad that Lexus seems intent to push down our throats. And don't get me started on touch screens.

That said, I can understand Edmunds's point of view about the interface being distracting. Coming from BMW's superb iDrive system, Lexus/Toyota's interface is, to say the least, not very well thought out. Almost all the screens have menu/selection buttons at different locations on the screen, so you HAVE to take your eyes off the road and look at where your cursor is pointing in case you overshoot your selection (and trust me, it's very easy to do that). It's almost a requirement that you be parked, or have your passenger control the cursor if you ever need to do anything on the screen.

Contrast it to the simplicity of iDrive where everything is within either a simple rotation of the controller, or a quick left-right-up-or-down push; and you almost never have to take your eyes off the road and you know which selection you have made.

As for the cargo part; it's not NX small, but we do lose a bit of space for taller cargo due to the slope of the roof, but there's plenty of space back there for most people.
Old 05-02-19, 07:32 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

For the cargo space, my compact SUV Mitsubishi Outlander can load more stuff than my mid-size RX. Just sayin.
Old 05-03-19, 02:11 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to agree on the cargo load.
Old 05-03-19, 05:16 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Mouse interface is just fine. The newer trackpad is probably a bit of an improvement but we have both and both are just fine.