RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

In the market for a used RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 06:53 PM
jumpinjack
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default In the market for a used RX

Hello! I'm in the market for a used RX. Some background and a few questions:

Current situation
- 2017 Accord EX-L
- 2006 Acura TL - we are likely giving this back to my in laws who we got the car from hence the RX
Husband and I haven't paid more than $30k+ for a car yet so I'm kinda balking at paying $50k brand new although we could afford it, seeing we can get a 2-3 year old RX with about 30k miles for $30-$35k in Southern California.

Questions about the RX
- Your overall thoughts, pros/cons?
- Do you have another vehicle with Android Auto, how do you live without it in the RX (I love it in our Accord)?
- What's the general mpg you are getting?
- Anything to note about this current gen?

Thanks all in advance!
Old 05-12-19, 08:09 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Overall satisfied with our CPO RX350 AWD. The wife really wanted an SUV and have always liked this generations RX design. She moved up from a 2014 Mazda 6. Since we have the non hybrid, average MPG is around 20 or so since she mostly does city driving.

Theres always the hybrid model but they didn’t have a CPO with the right options and at the right price point during our search. We don’t utilize android auto since we are on Apples platform but Bluetooth is fine for us. She’s also used to the infotainment after about 2 weeks of using said car,

Recommendation on buying used is to get a good deal with lots of options. Here in the Bay, you can find base RX350 for around $45k OTD so use that as the gauge when buying used. Sometimes with all the adders and dealer fees, you can end up over buying.
Old 05-12-19, 08:14 PM
jumpinjack
Driver School Candidate

I'm actually reading into the mods for Android Auto screen mirroring and it doesn't work with the existing audio. It's just another audio source, sigh. Android Auto integration is a deal breaker for me since I have it currently. Doing everything via Google Assistant on the screen such as chatting in Hangouts, turning on my thermostat, hearing what's on my calendar on the road all with navigation I never have to upgrade (I hate in car navigation system UI).

So for now, I might just wait to see if 2020 will have Android Auto integration and buy new. Otherwise it's off to find another car, I just love the look of the current gen RX.
Old 05-13-19, 04:26 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,152 Likes on 745 Posts

I would also enjoy Android Auto but buying a car is like a house. Very very hard to get everything exactly like you want. I would not give up Lexus's reliability, maintenance cost and looks for not having Android Auto. J D Power has ranked Lexus #1 in reliability for an incredible eight years in a row. Lexus is ranked the third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Scion and Toyota. In dependability Honda is ranked 18th and Acura 26th out of 31. Something happened to Honda and Acura over the last five or so years. They use to be in the top six most of the time. I have owned close to 15 Honda's and Acura's but six years ago moved over to Lexus. We are both so glad we did. Honda is not the Honda of the past. They are not the same quality. Our 2017 Lexus ES300h and 2017 Lexus RX450h cost around $400 each to maintain over three years.

Our 2017 RX 450h was about $1,500 more than the gas version RX 350 at our local Lexus dealer. It was bought used and was 1 1/2 years old when purchased. Since we have owned it 20,000 miles ago have averaged 29 mpg. This is about 25% highway driving where we can average 31-32 mpg just highway. Love it. Owned a 2015 and would highly recommend the 2016+ generation.

Looks like the 2020 Lexus will have Android Auto.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/02/...select-models/
The following users liked this post:
SJM (09-29-21)
Old 05-13-19, 12:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,821 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpinjack
Hello! I'm in the market for a used RX. Some background and a few questions:

Current situation
- 2017 Accord EX-L
- 2006 Acura TL - we are likely giving this back to my in laws who we got the car from hence the RX
Husband and I haven't paid more than $30k+ for a car yet so I'm kinda balking at paying $50k brand new although we could afford it, seeing we can get a 2-3 year old RX with about 30k miles for $30-$35k in Southern California.

Questions about the RX
- Your overall thoughts, pros/cons?
- Do you have another vehicle with Android Auto, how do you live without it in the RX (I love it in our Accord)?
- What's the general mpg you are getting?
- Anything to note about this current gen?

Thanks all in advance!
Buy used if you want to save some dough - buy new if you can't stand the thought of someone else's butt having broken in the driver seat. MPG not great so don't get an RX if you're worried about fuel cost. You have history with sedans - you sure you want an RX? The RX is my wife's daily driver but I prefer my ES.
Old 05-13-19, 02:57 PM
bgil47
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I would also enjoy Android Auto but buying a car is like a house. Very very hard to get everything exactly like you want. I would not give up Lexus's reliability, maintenance cost and looks for not having Android Auto. J D Power has ranked Lexus #1 in reliability for an incredible eight years in a row. Lexus is ranked the third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Scion and Toyota. In dependability Honda is ranked 18th and Acura 26th out of 31. Something happened to Honda and Acura over the last five or so years. They use to be in the top six most of the time. I have owned close to 15 Honda's and Acura's but six years ago moved over to Lexus. We are both so glad we did. Honda is not the Honda of the past. They are not the same quality. Our 2017 Lexus ES300h and 2017 Lexus RX450h cost around $400 each to maintain over three years.

Our 2017 RX 450h was about $1,500 more than the gas version RX 350 at our local Lexus dealer. It was bought used and was 1 1/2 years old when purchased. Since we have owned it 20,000 miles ago have averaged 29 mpg. This is about 25% highway driving where we can average 31-32 mpg just highway. Love it. Owned a 2015 and would highly recommend the 2016+ generation.

Looks like the 2020 Lexus will have Android Auto.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/2019/02/...select-models/
I am looking at a new 450 h. 75% of our driving is pretty rural/freeway stuff. Do you still recommend the hybrid? Do you have a feel for how the non hybrid drives compared to the hybrid?
Old 05-13-19, 03:55 PM
Oldernu
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Old Becomes New

Bought 2016 RX 350 with 16 000 miles. Had ES 350, wanted higher seats. Very happy so far. 9 months left on new car warranty, CPO warranty added two years more--and for first time bought an extended warranty. Had 27 mpg on long trip last week. Elsewhere the forum posters mentioned a reboot of the ECU/transmission code. This helped performance greatly.

Last edited by Oldernu; 05-13-19 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spelling typo
Old 05-13-19, 05:41 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oldernu
Bought 2016 RX 350 with 16 000 miles. Had ES 350, wanted higher seats. Very happy so far. 9 months left on new car warranty, CPO warranty added two years more--and for first time bought an extended warranty. Had 27 mpg on long trip last week. Elsewhere the forum posters mentioned a reboot of the ECU/transmission code. This helped performance greatly.
You went and got the ECU/Transmission reboot? Did you experience any driving issues prior to? Right now our new to us CPO is driving fine so unsure if I want them to do the reboot and possibly mess something else up.
Old 05-14-19, 04:19 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just had the ECU/TCU code reboot on our 17 RX and wife says the car is much smoother shifting.
She complained after driving a 19 RX loaner and saying it shifted much better.
FYI.
Old 05-14-19, 07:04 AM
jumpinjack
Driver School Candidate

*Update*

Android Auto on the 2020 RX looks promising. I'm likely going to go with a new 2020 RX 350 base with full led, blind spot and cross traffic, and touch less rear liftgate. Is this a common configuration when you went shopping or do most include at least one type of package?
Old 05-14-19, 07:13 AM
Oldernu
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ECU Transmission Reboot

There was some hesitation before the reboot. Don't know the prior drivers' habits or acceleration style--a chicken or egg question which the reboot resolved. The performance is now much better. The TSB contains vin # info listing which cars require the reboot. If you are unsatisfied with low gear acceleration, check the bulletin for your model and vin #.

Other posters have recommended using 91or 93 octane gas, which I have also done. Now hesitation and slow low gear response are eliminated.
Old 05-14-19, 07:21 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jumpinjack
*Update*

Android Auto on the 2020 RX looks promising. I'm likely going to go with a new 2020 RX 350 base with full led, blind spot and cross traffic, and touch less rear liftgate. Is this a common configuration when you went shopping or do most include at least one type of package?
Depending on your dealership. Finding a base model NEW RX350 here in the Bay Area (CA) was a tough find. Dealers options the vehicles so buyers will be kind of stuck paying for items that they might not need/want. Blind spot is somewhat common when I was searching but always comboed with other features. The touch less rear liftgate is a bit more rare, especially on base models.