RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

screeching parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 09:14 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Did some Googling tonight and it appears that Lexus has had a history of brake actuator problems. I'm not sure if this particular issue is similar to the issues they've had in previous vehicles. In the past, they've issued a warranty extension on certain (affected) Lexus vehicles.

Anyone else hearing this from their 2016-2020 Rx?
Old 08-21-20, 05:23 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Did some Googling tonight and it appears that Lexus has had a history of brake actuator problems. I'm not sure if this particular issue is similar to the issues they've had in previous vehicles. In the past, they've issued a warranty extension on certain (affected) Lexus vehicles.

Anyone else hearing this from their 2016-2020 Rx?
I haven't had any issues with my brake actuator, but I've narrowed down a clicking sound I've been hearing after I press and hold the brake pedal to the actuator.

It's easily replicated for me - if I press down on the brake pedal and wait a few seconds, I hear what sounds like a metal ball dropping in a cylinder, which creates the clicking sound. It doesn't appear to cause any issues for me and I can confirm I don't experience a loss in braking of any sort, but since I'm out of warranty, I don't think I'll be doing anything about it as the actuator assembly is quite expensive.
Old 08-21-20, 07:04 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
I haven't had any issues with my brake actuator, but I've narrowed down a clicking sound I've been hearing after I press and hold the brake pedal to the actuator.

It's easily replicated for me - if I press down on the brake pedal and wait a few seconds, I hear what sounds like a metal ball dropping in a cylinder, which creates the clicking sound. It doesn't appear to cause any issues for me and I can confirm I don't experience a loss in braking of any sort, but since I'm out of warranty, I don't think I'll be doing anything about it as the actuator assembly is quite expensive.
Your issue actually sounds more similar to the brake actuator problems that I found on Google than the screeching parking brake noise discussed above.
Be careful!
The following users liked this post:
AndrewTO (08-21-20)
Old 08-23-20, 10:25 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Would you be willing to post a copy of your work order?
@arrowroot - sorry I no longer have the paperwork, but the wording I used was straight from the paperwork.

Dan
Old 09-01-20, 01:23 AM
tim30000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic parking break sharp noise

I have a 2017 RX 350. When shift from D to P, the automatic parking break will active. A robotic arm noise will occur (this is normal), but follow by a half second sharp loud noise.(not normal)
my Lexus dealer Put some lubrications on the related parts, but problem still exist.
Every time when activate the automatic parking break, After the robotic arm noise, the sharp loud noise is caused by break locking in.
The Lexus dealer say many RX has this problem and is normal, I think the dealer is just trying not to fix this problem. I checked many other cars e-parking break and has no problem. This sharp noise is very loud and not acceptable.
does Lexus dealer need to change some part in order to fix this problem?
does anyone has similar problem?
I appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for me. Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6391.MOV (3.98 MB, 127 views)

Last edited by tim30000; 09-01-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 01:50 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tim30000
I have a 2017 RX 350. When shift from D to P, the automatic parking break will active. A robotic arm noise will occur (this is normal), but follow by a half second sharp loud noise.(not normal)
my Lexus dealer Put some lubrications on the related parts, but problem still exist.
Every time when activate the automatic parking break, After the robotic arm noise, the sharp loud noise is caused by break locking in.
The Lexus dealer say many RX has this problem and is normal, I think the dealer is just trying not to fix this problem. I checked many other cars e-parking break and has no problem. This sharp noise is very loud and not acceptable.
does Lexus dealer need to change some part in order to fix this problem?
does anyone has similar problem?
I appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for me. Many thanks
That sound is normal. As the mechanism tightens to the proper grip, it slows down causing the mechanical noise you hear(sinching). All-electric parking brakes make a sinching noise in the last few seconds of clamping.

I do agree, the Lexus noise is a bit louder than other manufacturers but that's big a deal to me. Totally understand that some may be bothered. I use the sound as a notification for me to let go of the brake when I arrive at a destination lol.