RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Is this 2016 RX 350 F Sport A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 02:16 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Just a nit-pick. Heated steering wheel is part of the Luxury Package.
I’ve never heard of luxury package on f sport model.
The following 2 users liked this post by bwsteg:
ericsan13 (06-24-19), mspearl95 (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 02:17 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winstonchu
I might be in the market then for a 16 rx, what color exterior and interior? I would definitely be interested around that price point
Ultra white/red. Had oem body side moldings and side steps installed. Also has full front end Suntek PPF and ceramic pro coating.
Old 06-22-19, 04:28 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Honestly I would be weary if the Lexus dealer didn’t certify it. There might have been an accident or something they found. You can probably find a better deal. Especially because it’s not l certified which would give it the warranty which you will need with this car. I just got a 2017 F sport AWD 40k miles, L certified with all options except the HUD and 360 camera. MSRP was $60,000 I paid $39,850. It was the only one in my entire region basically with all the options I wanted that wasn’t priced too high.
Old 06-22-19, 07:11 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems a bit overpriced with a vehicle with that high mileage. I picked up a 2017 truly fully loaded Luxury line (HUD, ColdWP, Trip Beam, Rear heated/power seats, pano, ML, etc..with less than 4k miles on it for 42k OTD a few months back.)
Old 06-22-19, 08:32 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Please check again. Lexus Safety System was an option for the 2016 RX. Wasn’t standard until the 2017 model year.
It was standard: https://www.lexus.com/documents/safe...lus-062017.pdf

This has been a big point for the openpilot community since it means all RX in 2016 and onward are capable of selfdrive level 2.
Old 06-22-19, 10:12 PM
crossfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve attached the build sheet here. Carfax is 1 owner personal lease, oil changes every 5k miles and no indication of any accidents. Unfortunately I’m in California and I literally looked all of norcal and socal and seems West Coast prices are generally higher. I also had a relative of mine who works at a Lexus dealer to check the records and it seems clean - although I was also suspicious about it not being L certified.

Regardless thanks for the feedback from everyone, helpful to know what to be watching out for. I like the 2020 version but prefer buying used.

Old 06-22-19, 10:18 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite

This has been a big point for the openpilot community since it means all RX in 2016 and onward are capable of selfdrive level 2.
Sorry to thread jack, but very interesting. You are saying that the Lexus safety system plus was available on all 2016 RXs, yet people had to pay for the option to use it? The openpilot device/software just unlocks the usage?
Old 06-22-19, 10:34 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

I wonder if that is region-specific? I remember when I bought my 2017 the salesperson staying that it was optional for the 2016 year, but standard for 2017.
Old 06-22-19, 10:35 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Openpilot just makes use of the radar/ACC and electric power steering to enable self driving. I’m not sure if Lexus charged for the feature, but according to their own documentation it was standard and I’ve never seen one without it. Have you?
Old 06-22-19, 10:53 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Openpilot just makes use of the radar/ACC and electric power steering to enable self driving. I’m not sure if Lexus charged for the feature, but according to their own documentation it was standard and I’ve never seen one without it. Have you?
I just looked up 2016 base model 350s on autotrader, and found 2 right away that don't have the extra buttons on the steering wheel for the LKA and DRCC.

Last edited by mspearl95; 06-22-19 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 02:56 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

When I was in the market for a 2016 RX, I searched dealers all over the East Coast. I only found one with the $2250 LSS option. I bought it. No problem when I bought the 2017. It was standard. My 2016 does not have the ICS automatic braking system which is standard on the 2017 model.

Last edited by rxtimes2; 06-23-19 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-23-19, 04:07 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,120 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Honestly I would be weary if the Lexus dealer didn’t certify it. There might have been an accident or something they found. You can probably find a better deal. Especially because it’s not l certified which would give it the warranty which you will need with this car. I just got a 2017 F sport AWD 40k miles, L certified with all options except the HUD and 360 camera. MSRP was $60,000 I paid $39,850. It was the only one in my entire region basically with all the options I wanted that wasn’t priced too high.
I agree with you about them not certifying it. Do they see potentially something big happening in the future or as you say was it wrecked. based on the Lexus web site, it has had all the service work done right on schedule. Owner brought up nothing out of the ordinary except for CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE LEAKING OIL; CHECK AND ADVISE. RECENTLY HAD MAINTENANCE DONE ~|~FOUND CRACKED OIL CANISTER ~|~REPLACED CANISTER ASSEMBLY. NO CHARGE TO CUSTOMER. This was at 10,000 miles.
Old 06-23-19, 10:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

While region specific may play a factor, the 2016s launched with LSS as a available feature
https://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus-20...segment-short/

The 2017s onwards came standard. Never new open pilot was a thing for Lexus, but thats irrelevant to the OP.
Old 06-23-19, 12:35 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I agree with you about them not certifying it. Do they see potentially something big happening in the future or as you say was it wrecked. based on the Lexus web site, it has had all the service work done right on schedule. Owner brought up nothing out of the ordinary except for CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE LEAKING OIL; CHECK AND ADVISE. RECENTLY HAD MAINTENANCE DONE ~|~FOUND CRACKED OIL CANISTER ~|~REPLACED CANISTER ASSEMBLY. NO CHARGE TO CUSTOMER. This was at 10,000 miles.
Usually a Lexus dealer will always certify the car (if they can) because they are guaranteed to get more money for the car. The only reason a car on a Lexus dealers lot is not certified is if it can’t pass the certification, whether that be because it’s too old, too many miles, or they found something. I wouldn’t go near that car. You can easily find an f sport l certified for the same price. F sports are over priced unfortunately. I could’ve gotten a low miles fully loaded luxury package for the same price but I only like the f sport. Most definitely they found something on that car during inspection, whether an accident not reported to car fax, water damage, etc. Could be anything.

Originally Posted by crossfire
I’ve attached the build sheet here. Carfax is 1 owner personal lease, oil changes every 5k miles and no indication of any accidents. Unfortunately I’m in California and I literally looked all of norcal and socal and seems West Coast prices are generally higher. I also had a relative of mine who works at a Lexus dealer to check the records and it seems clean - although I was also suspicious about it not being L certified.

Regardless thanks for the feedback from everyone, helpful to know what to be watching out for. I like the 2020 version but prefer buying used.

Old 06-23-19, 01:11 PM
crossfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback - I called up the dealership and was able to get clarification. The dealership has a GMC and a Lexus side owned by the same owner and they cross list pre owned vehicles on both brands on the Lexus site. The vehicle was a lease that was turned in on the GMC side (it was leased out of a different Lexus dealership in Santa Barbara) and they can’t L certify it under the GMC branches. Anyway that’s the data point.

In terms of all of you guys finding fully loaded F sport models under 30k miles that are L certified, I’m not sure where you guys are seeing them. Almost every single one that I’ve seen in California is at least 41k before tax, title and registration. Maybe it’s just more expensive out here?

Quick Reply: Is this 2016 RX 350 F Sport A Good Deal?