RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Is this 2016 RX 350 F Sport A Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 01:39 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfire
Thanks for the feedback - I called up the dealership and was able to get clarification. The dealership has a GMC and a Lexus side owned by the same owner and they cross list pre owned vehicles on both brands on the Lexus site. The vehicle was a lease that was turned in on the GMC side (it was leased out of a different Lexus dealership in Santa Barbara) and they can’t L certify it under the GMC branches. Anyway that’s the data point.

In terms of all of you guys finding fully loaded F sport models under 30k miles that are L certified, I’m not sure where you guys are seeing them. Almost every single one that I’ve seen in California is at least 41k before tax, title and registration. Maybe it’s just more expensive out here?
They all had fully loaded luxury models, not f sports. F sport is always priced high since they are more rare. Supply and demand. It’s not about the price it’s that for a car that costs $40,000 you MUST get L certified. If it’s not certified are they giving you the car with any warranty?
Old 06-23-19, 01:48 PM
crossfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah I see. Yeah there’s a 5 year/unlimited mile warranty that they offered that would bring the OTD to 43k OTD.
Old 06-23-19, 02:32 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Ah I see. Yeah there’s a 5 year/unlimited mile warranty that they offered that would bring the OTD to 43k OTD.
Wow no way that sounds extremely over priced. What’s your zip and your budget I bet I can find you something better then that. I bet even Carmax has better deals then that. Also, living in California the price will definitely be higher then other states for obvious reasons.
Old 06-23-19, 02:39 PM
crossfire
Driver School Candidate

Sure, it’s 94043. Trying to keep OTD max to 45k
Old 06-23-19, 03:10 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
I just looked up 2016 base model 350s on autotrader, and found 2 right away that don't have the extra buttons on the steering wheel for the LKA and DRCC.
Strange, I googled around and did find one as you say. Weird that Lexus's own documentation states it's standard when it obviously wasn't. Thanks for correcting me. Guess I need to go update our database on these cars.
Old 06-23-19, 06:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks for the feedback - I called up the dealership and was able to get clarification. The dealership has a GMC and a Lexus side owned by the same owner and they cross list pre owned vehicles on both brands on the Lexus site. The vehicle was a lease that was turned in on the GMC side (it was leased out of a different Lexus dealership in Santa Barbara) and they can’t L certify it under the GMC branches. Anyway that’s the data point.

In terms of all of you guys finding fully loaded F sport models under 30k miles that are L certified, I’m not sure where you guys are seeing them. Almost every single one that I’ve seen in California is at least 41k before tax, title and registration. Maybe it’s just more expensive out here?
My BS meter just went up. If you hit this vehicle up with a CPO, you can easily jack up the price a couple more since they literally cost nothing next to the premium they command for the most part.

Heres the quick and easy as to why a dealer, an official dealer at that wont dip into their own department:

1) Cars got something going for it that automatically kicks it off the eligibility list or an issue that the dealership knows but doesnt really want to fix outside of warranty like accident damage. Worst case scenario, but not something impossible
2) Manheim value is already close to the asking price, so dumping any more $$ will cost them if this does not sell.
3) Bunch of worried keyboard warriors who probably are overreacting to a perfectly fine RX. (could be)

In terms of buying an RX right now...2 things come to mind. First, if you can wait you will save as the 2020 RX is going to officially make any 16 value drop. Secondly have you compared this vehicle through websites to see where they place it at?
Old 06-23-19, 07:16 PM
crossfire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
My BS meter just went up. If you hit this vehicle up with a CPO, you can easily jack up the price a couple more since they literally cost nothing next to the premium they command for the most part.

Heres the quick and easy as to why a dealer, an official dealer at that wont dip into their own department:

1) Cars got something going for it that automatically kicks it off the eligibility list or an issue that the dealership knows but doesnt really want to fix outside of warranty like accident damage. Worst case scenario, but not something impossible
2) Manheim value is already close to the asking price, so dumping any more $$ will cost them if this does not sell.
3) Bunch of worried keyboard warriors who probably are overreacting to a perfectly fine RX. (could be)

In terms of buying an RX right now...2 things come to mind. First, if you can wait you will save as the 2020 RX is going to officially make any 16 value drop. Secondly have you compared this vehicle through websites to see where they place it at?

Yeah all your reasons make sense to me. You’re right about waiting for 2020 so it’s definitely possible to wait. In terms of comparisons, I did do a bunch of comparisons against similar vehicles on Carmax, Shift, Lexus, Carfax etc etc. it’s actually priced at 40k (before tax title and registration) to begin with. Similar CPO starts at about 42k in my area. I looked through all of California and it’s pretty much within range of pricing as the others. One Mercedes dealership had literally the same of everything except for the pano camera and they have it at 38.5k.
Old 06-24-19, 07:04 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Yeah all your reasons make sense to me. You’re right about waiting for 2020 so it’s definitely possible to wait. In terms of comparisons, I did do a bunch of comparisons against similar vehicles on Carmax, Shift, Lexus, Carfax etc etc. it’s actually priced at 40k (before tax title and registration) to begin with. Similar CPO starts at about 42k in my area. I looked through all of California and it’s pretty much within range of pricing as the others. One Mercedes dealership had literally the same of everything except for the pano camera and they have it at 38.5k.
That’s an excellent point someone else brought up. The moment the 2020 is released the price will drop, DEFINITELY wait until the 2020 comes out. You’ll find plenty of f sports for sale then. It’s only a few months. I imagine as the weeks go by more and more will be available. F sport is very rare as it is, it’s honestly not a good value used but I had to have it as well. The luxury models fully loaded offer the best value. If you can, wait for a 450 f sport. It’s the best, the transmission on the 4RX has some SERIOUS flaws to the point that I’m always driving it in sport mode. If I knew then what I know now, I would have waited for a 450 to come along.
Old 06-24-19, 11:34 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

I’ve attached the build sheet here. Carfax is 1 owner personal lease, oil changes every 5k miles and no indication of any accidents. Unfortunately I’m in California and I literally looked all of norcal and socal and seems West Coast prices are generally higher. I also had a relative of mine who works at a Lexus dealer to check the records and it seems clean - although I was also suspicious about it not being L certified.

Regardless thanks for the feedback from everyone, helpful to know what to be watching out for. I like the 2020 version but prefer buying used.

Just a heads up that this is missing the following options:
-Rear power folding seats
-Cold weather package
-Tow prep package

Not sure if those matter to you but it's not fully fully loaded.