RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX and theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 09:14 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by hothummer
My 2018 RX350 F Sport 2 was recently stolen and at least in Canada, there are daily reports of RX350s being stolen and shipped overseas. Apparently they are boosting the signal from the fob and opening the doors and then driving away all in less than 15 seconds .

This is also a problem with the Toyota Highlander. Of course Lexus denies any issues and why would they??? They get to keep selling more cars while owners get screwed.

Sadly, they found my vehicle but who knows the condition. Now I get to spend the next 3.5 years of my lease wondering if/when it wilw get stolen again and having to store the fobs in metal boxes.

Be forewarned. This is a HUGE problem for Lexus and shame on them for ignoring it. NEVER EVER WILL I PURCHASE A LEXUS AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I CAN ABOUT THEIR REFUSAL TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE .
I don't use fob to open the car.

Last edited by Htony; 12-10-18 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 10:01 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

The easiest and most convenient way is to drop your key into a metal box. Leave the box as far away from your car as practically in your house (e.g. not near the outter wall that litterally everyone outside can stand next to the key with only the wall in between, not placing near the front door). Metal box will block or significantly reduce the key signal (like when you’re standing the elevator).

the hack works by amplifying the signal from the key and tricking the car into thinking the key is next to the doors. Then the hacker can just place their hand on the door handle to open the doors and start the car. Without the key signal, they can’t amplify it. Without amplifying the original signal from the key, the hack won’t work.

Edit: I also learned another way is to find a box and wrap it in multiple layer of aluminum foil. Do it carefully in multiple layer to prevent signal leaking.

Last edited by qvtruong; 12-10-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:53 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RCjets
There are already several methods to duplicate fingerprints to fool scanners. No matter what the method of security someone will eventually find a way around it.
possibly, but it would be more difficult/ involved than spoofing a key signal.
Old 12-11-18, 08:12 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
You can turn the FOB off to avoid this inconvenience.

Chief, Don't mean to be a pain but, I went to do this on the fob I don't use, but I don't see an "Electronic key indicator" on either of my fobs. What's supposed to flash?
Old 12-11-18, 08:27 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RCjets
There are already several methods to duplicate fingerprints to fool scanners. No matter what the method of security someone will eventually find a way around it.

Mann why do you sound so pessimistic?!?

Sure every technology has loopholes. But do you really think a regular thief will break into your house, somehow take and copy your fingerprint in front of you, unlock the car, and go away? If they can do that to you, I think your own life is already at risk and you shouldn't think about the safety of your car in that moment. They could just force you to unlock the car for them...

Old 12-11-18, 09:30 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 644 Posts

The keyless entry feature can be turned off. This is intended for folks with a pacemaker device
that would be vulnerable to the RF signals from the car searching for the fob. You then simply
use the mechanical key that slips out of the fob to open the car. The page that ravenaur provided
is used to disable the key, also useful if you are jogging, biking, swimming and don't want to lug
around the $350, heavy and not waterproof fob. Just lock the car with the inside power lock button
after defeating the fob, slip the mechanical key out and close the door. When you return you just
use the (hidden on some models) driver's door lock cylinder and open the door..
Old 12-11-18, 04:50 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Chief, Don't mean to be a pain but, I went to do this on the fob I don't use, but I don't see an "Electronic key indicator" on either of my fobs. What's supposed to flash?
Just tried it. Worked for me.
Old 12-11-18, 05:46 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

There is a tiny red light that flashes- do you have a leather case on your fob? it can obscure it.
Old 12-11-18, 07:31 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by mspearl95
There is a tiny red light that flashes- do you have a leather case on your fob? it can obscure it.
Removed the case and no tiny red light. Mine is a 2017 RX350.

Last edited by ravenuer; 12-12-18 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 11:14 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

red lamp on....it blinks several times when I hold lock and press unlock twice
Old 12-12-18, 01:32 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by kent2174

red lamp on....it blinks several times when I hold lock and press unlock twice
I have the same fob........minus the little red light. Anyone else have one like me? Or am I the only Lexus owner without a red light?
Old 12-12-18, 02:35 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same fob........minus the little red light. Anyone else have one like me? Or am I the only Lexus owner without a red light?
Interesting. That doesn't make sense. But, I'm not up on the latest FOB trends.
Old 12-13-18, 02:35 AM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you at least have the little circle hole? If so it can be dirt covering the red light or it can be your batteries are low.
Old 12-13-18, 02:50 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

No red light on my 16, or 17 RX key fobs.
Old 12-13-18, 05:20 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There's no hole on my '18 remote, but when I disable the remote (as described above) the red light is visible through the otherwise black plastic.

Quick Reply: 4RX and theft