RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Do you need alignment after rear trailing arm replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 09:45 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Do you need alignment after rear trailing arm replacement?

What’s up everybody! I need an alignment, I feel it pulling at highway speeds but I have to get the rear trailing arms replaced (most likely) next Monday at the dealership for the creaking I’m hearing over bumps. Will that throw off the alignment or am I good to get one now? Really wanted to get an alignment before I go to the dealer since it’s an hour drive but if this has any chance of affecting the alignment I’ll wait.
Old 07-16-19, 06:55 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I understand that there is some toe adjustment but otherwise no other alignment adjustment on the rear. I heard this from my alignment guy when i got things measured a few weeks ago. When I had the rear trailing arms done last week, my service guy said a toe adjustment would be part of the job. I didn’t see a line for this on my invoice though. No alignment issues for me.
Old 07-17-19, 05:55 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 493 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
What’s up everybody! I need an alignment, I feel it pulling at highway speeds but I have to get the rear trailing arms replaced (most likely) next Monday at the dealership for the creaking I’m hearing over bumps. Will that throw off the alignment or am I good to get one now? Really wanted to get an alignment before I go to the dealer since it’s an hour drive but if this has any chance of affecting the alignment I’ll wait.
If you haven't had an alignment done yet, I'd wait until you get the arms done. Any time you have major suspension work done, it wouldn't hurt to have a complete alignment check.
Old 07-17-19, 06:31 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

what is going on with the rear trailing arms that they need to be replaced?
Old 07-17-19, 06:52 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4iscool
I understand that there is some toe adjustment but otherwise no other alignment adjustment on the rear. I heard this from my alignment guy when i got things measured a few weeks ago. When I had the rear trailing arms done last week, my service guy said a toe adjustment would be part of the job. I didn’t see a line for this on my invoice though. No alignment issues for me.
Originally Posted by ravenuer
If you haven't had an alignment done yet, I'd wait until you get the arms done. Any time you have major suspension work done, it wouldn't hurt to have a complete alignment check.
Originally Posted by chunktwo
what is going on with the rear trailing arms that they need to be replaced?
Thanks guys. Good thing I didn’t get that alignment yesterday my gut was telling me to wait. I can’t stand the random pulling especially going over 70MPH. The steering starts to feel so light and pulls all over the road. Happened out of nowhere after I had some tires replaced. Maybe my wife hit a pothole and isn’t telling me. Hopefully they align it after the trailing arms but doubt they will. I’m getting that squeaking and creaking in the rear over speed bumps and based on what I seen here they replace the trailing arms if they’re a good dealer or they lube them at the bear minimum. Hoping for replacement.
Old 07-17-19, 06:58 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Thanks guys. Good thing I didn’t get that alignment yesterday my gut was telling me to wait. I can’t stand the random pulling especially going over 70MPH. The steering starts to feel so light and pulls all over the road. Happened out of nowhere after I had some tires replaced. Maybe my wife hit a pothole and isn’t telling me. Hopefully they align it after the trailing arms but doubt they will. I’m getting that squeaking and creaking in the rear over speed bumps and based on what I seen here they replace the trailing arms if they’re a good dealer or they lube them at the bear minimum. Hoping for replacement.
"Hopefully" they'll align it? No, tell them to align it!
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (11-11-21)
Old 07-17-19, 08:02 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

"Hopefully" they'll align it? No, tell them to align it!
Well I’m going to hope it’s the standard procedure when they replace the arm. I just don’t want to give them a reason to only lube it. After I see they replaced it I will make sure. Hopefully they will replace the arms and not try to lube them
Old 07-17-19, 02:37 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I understood that Lexus instructs the techs to do the toe adjustment on the rear as part of the fix.

For the guy asking why these get replaced; If you notice squeaking from the rear when going over undulations or speedbumps (not fast), you'll hear it. They are supposed to lube them the first time, and if it comes back, replace the rear trailing arms. Some dealers will immediately replace them, which saves a future trip.
Old 07-17-19, 04:14 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Yes, I understood that Lexus instructs the techs to do the toe adjustment on the rear as part of the fix.

For the guy asking why these get replaced; If you notice squeaking from the rear when going over undulations or speedbumps (not fast), you'll hear it. They are supposed to lube them the first time, and if it comes back, replace the rear trailing arms. Some dealers will immediately replace them, which saves a future trip.
I’m curious if when they replace it are they using an updated part or the same one that will eventually go bad.
Old 07-17-19, 09:48 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I’m curious if when they replace it are they using an updated part or the same one that will eventually go bad.
IF any improvements/updates have been made it would be the TA bushings, but OEM replacement will probably be exactly what was installed originally. Some aftermarket suspension parts offer high tech bushing material which equals a tighter, more responsive system. Stay away from pot holes = longer life for bushings.

Last edited by xxx350L; 07-17-19 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 10:40 AM
el1668
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought in my 2017 rx 350 awd earlier in the week for the same creaking issue and the dealer is replacing the rear trailing arm under warranty.
Old 07-18-19, 01:22 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by el1668
I brought in my 2017 rx 350 awd earlier in the week for the same creaking issue and the dealer is replacing the rear trailing arm under warranty.
Can you let us know if they do an alignment of any kind after replacing them?
Old 07-18-19, 05:30 PM
el1668
Driver School Candidate

Can you let us know if they do an alignment of any kind after replacing them?
Yep will do. So far I’ve asked the service rep and he said he would ask the tech. He mentioned it probably doesn’t need alignment but I don’t know any better to disagree. Any thoughts?
Old 07-19-19, 08:54 AM
el1668
Driver School Candidate

Here’s the message I got from the service rep:

It looks as though the tsib calls for a check of the tow adjustment only after the replacement of the arms. It won't be a full alignment though just a check and adjustment on the rear tow if needed.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-19-19, 09:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by el1668
Here’s the message I got from the service rep:

It looks as though the tsib calls for a check of the tow adjustment only after the replacement of the arms. It won't be a full alignment though just a check and adjustment on the rear tow if needed.

Any thoughts?
I can almost guarantee 9 out of 10 dealers aren’t even bothering to check the alignment

Quick Reply: Do you need alignment after rear trailing arm replacement?