RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear suspension noise (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-20, 01:11 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
I would suggest you keep pushing them to replace the rear trailing arms, otherwise it will annoy you to no end.

Mine had the same problem. It would squeak going through potholes, speed bumps and literally anything on the road that wasn't perfectly level. Take lots of videos and see if you can get a service manager to drive the vehicle rather than the technicians.

It was fixed after the rear trailing arms were replaced so there is a fix out there, you just have to push for it. As much as I understand there's a certain level of tolerance you should give to the first model year of a redesign, it's also completely unacceptable that customers have to press water out of a rock to get the dealer to fix something under warranty.
The mean issue right now is that it is most noticeable in winter, and not so much in summer. As my mileage is coming up and also it's not gonna be very cold in October, I doubt it would get to the same level as last time. Even worse, as right now the weather is hovering around 30 degrees, the noise seems to be completely gone. Of course I know it will come back in winter, and they know it too, but the warranty will already be expired by then

Old 07-14-20, 01:39 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Had anyone had the rear trailing arm squeaking come back after they have had the TSB applied? Wondering if they're actually replacing it with a modified part different from what was originally installed on the car, or if it's a replacement using the same part (and therefore would likely result in the same squeaking noise after a couple of years).
Old 07-14-20, 03:09 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Had anyone had the rear trailing arm squeaking come back after they have had the TSB applied? Wondering if they're actually replacing it with a modified part different from what was originally installed on the car, or if it's a replacement using the same part (and therefore would likely result in the same squeaking noise after a couple of years).
Mine was replaced with the same part, judging by the parts numbers in this doc: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61533-9999.pdf.

Curious to know though, does the parts warranty on the first replacement cover the second replacement if the squeak happens again when you're out of the basic warranty? I believe in Canada, the parts warranty is 24 months or 40,000 km.
Old 07-14-20, 04:12 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine was replaced with the same part, judging by the parts numbers in this doc: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...61533-9999.pdf.

Curious to know though, does the parts warranty on the first replacement cover the second replacement if the squeak happens again when you're out of the basic warranty? I believe in Canada, the parts warranty is 24 months or 40,000 km.
Hmm good question. If the replacement parts were the exact same as the parts from the factory when the car was built, I’m not confident that the problem is “solved”. The issue will come back if its the same part.
The following users liked this post:
AndrewTO (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 06:31 PM
tadpole1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how much it will be without warranty from a dealership?
Old 07-14-20, 07:26 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by tadpole1
Does anyone know how much it will be without warranty from a dealership?
It's probably best to call the dealer and ask for a quote. It wasn't listed on my repair invoice, but I remember checking how much it would cost for the parts alone here in Canada when I got mine replaced, and it was somewhere around $600 per trailing arm. That's parts alone, not taking into account the high cost of labor at the dealer. Highway robbery, if you ask me.
Old 07-14-20, 07:54 PM
tadpole1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am wondering this will be covered by Geico extended warranty. I feel like they call trail arm(bushing) as wear and tear item.
Old 07-15-20, 12:43 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Hmm good question. If the replacement parts were the exact same as the parts from the factory when the car was built, I’m not confident that the problem is “solved”. The issue will come back if its the same part.
If you look at page 3 of the TSB you'll see the NEW parts have an identifier mark and it states: "BEFORE installing NEW parts, confirm the identification mark as shown. If this mark is NOT present, the part is incorrect and should NOT be installed."

The parts still have the same part numbers, that mark tells you it's the revised version....what they have done different, who knows.
Old 07-16-20, 08:55 AM
Onion
Driver

Going in in 1 hour to a second dealership today and dropping the car off. Told no shuttle service(understandable) and no loaner(probably because I am not paying them $$$), and its raining outside right now. At least its not too far and I can walk home

The squeaks seems to be completely gone since its a lot warmer this week
Old 07-16-20, 09:28 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by Onion
Going in in 1 hour to a second dealership today and dropping the car off. Told no shuttle service(understandable) and no loaner(probably because I am not paying them $$$), and its raining outside right now. At least its not too far and I can walk home

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I don't know if you're from the GTA or not, but when I did have my squeak, I was also living in downtown Toronto at the time so it was just unbearable going through the streetcar tracks and potholes whereas when I'd be in the suburbs, I almost forgot the squeak existed. If they don't find anything, perhaps worth a drive downtown with someone in the passenger seat or back seat to record the sound?
Old 07-16-20, 09:36 AM
Onion
Driver

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I don't know if you're from the GTA or not, but when I did have my squeak, I was also living in downtown Toronto at the time so it was just unbearable going through the streetcar tracks and potholes whereas when I'd be in the suburbs, I almost forgot the squeak existed. If they don't find anything, perhaps worth a drive downtown with someone in the passenger seat or back seat to record the sound?
im on the edge of Scarborough and Markham. And people who know will know which dealership it is that's near me. I just got this message from the advisor which I wouldn't say it's a good sign

​​​​​​my previous encounter was at another dealership and if anyone wants to see the notes they left it should be in this thread as well

"Thank you for the information, I will relate the message to my technician, as all repair will have to be base on our findings, unfortunately we cannot go by other dealer's diagnostic."
Old 07-16-20, 03:26 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion

No loaner, that's BS
Old 07-16-20, 03:50 PM
Onion
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
No loaner, that's BS
the only time I got a loaner at this dealership is from the one time I paid 800 for a oil change and brake flush. Rest of the times are shuttles.(ES 350)

I went to another dealer twice, first time they gave me a CT200, second time they offered me to wait there, I guess since it is on the side of highway shuttles cost too much to operate

(Both are pre pandemic)

Again, I concur with what an auto journalist said when he was doing long term testings on different cars/brands, "The corporate asked me for the name of the dealership so they can follow up, and I refused to provide it, and the reason is very simple: if it's only one dealership, we can maybe say that it's an outlier. But if multiple dealerships are providing the same response on warranty claims and issues, then that is not dealership's problem, it's corporate's. If dealerships are paid retail for warranty claims, I am pretty sure all of a sudden every dealer will want to take your car in for warranty issues"

Last edited by Onion; 07-16-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 04:30 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

The loaner thing depends on the dealer. I've had loaners when I had to take vehicles in for warranty work.

Most Lexus dealers in Canada I've come across (and I've been to a few across the country having moved a few times over the years) don't offer loaners if you're just there for an oil change, but will happily give you one if you book in advance and they're doing more than just an oil change. The caveat is you'd have to pay $5-10 for the vehicle and you'd have to refuel what you use. Again, this is all pre-pandemic so I don't know what the rules are these days.

Now the interesting part is there used to be a Lexus dealer in Alberta that would give you loaners no matter what. They had an express oil change for people who would say no to the loaners, but if you wanted one and you were just doing a regular oil change, you'd be bump down the list so it wouldn't be an "express" oil change anymore. They also didn't outright charge you to use one, although I'm sure it was baked into their labor, and you didn't have to bring it back refuelled too. That's all changed now, unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
Onion (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 04:36 PM
Onion
Driver

The loaner thing depends on the dealer. I've had loaners when I had to take vehicles in for warranty work.

Most Lexus dealers in Canada I've come across (and I've been to a few across the country having moved a few times over the years) don't offer loaners if you're just there for an oil change, but will happily give you one if you book in advance and they're doing more than just an oil change. The caveat is you'd have to pay $5-10 for the vehicle and you'd have to refuel what you use. Again, this is all pre-pandemic so I don't know what the rules are these days.

Now the interesting part is there used to be a Lexus dealer in Alberta that would give you loaners no matter what. They had an express oil change for people who would say no to the loaners, but if you wanted one and you were just doing a regular oil change, you'd be bump down the list so it wouldn't be an "express" oil change anymore. They also didn't outright charge you to use one, although I'm sure it was baked into their labor, and you didn't have to bring it back refuelled too. That's all changed now, unfortunately.
Do you know if any in the GTA area that offer loaners regularly? The dealer I went to for that expensive brake flush basically handed me a voucher to go to the Hertz onsite to get a vehicle. Also if you don't mind do you know any dealers in GTA that actually would fix your warranty issues? (correct me if I am wrong but I believe dealers don't get paid full for warranty claims that's why no one wants to do it?)

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise (merged threads)