RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Anti Collision System

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19 | 10:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by jim256
I guess I'm unsure what systems are functioning or not functioning in these various tests: Intuitive Parking Assist (sound and display only), Intelligent Clearance Sonar (low speed front and rear braking for stationary objects), Pre-Collision System (higher speed front detection and braking, and/or Rear Cross Traffic Auto Braking. Add to all that the difference between detecting pedestrians as opposed to cars or buildings. If you look at the full manual, each has a number of specific situations where the system may not operate, as well as explanations where it should. Some camera, some radar, some sonar. The seat belt issue is not addressed that I can see in the manual, but these belts also have pre-tensioning which can activate prior to impact. Best advice, as above, is wear the belt but it may also be worth looking at the speeds and situations where each is intended to operate, or not, and how to really conduct a precise test.
In my situation the auto brake did not come on, only the audible beep was there. I've tried twice without buckling-up (no auto brake) and once buckling up and auto brake came on. Audible beep was on in all 3 tests. I don't remember reading in the TOME they call a manual anything to this effect. It could be a costly mistake if one relied on the auto braking without the seat belt on.
Old 08-23-19 | 11:05 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Again, the easy fix for this is to wear the seatbelt. Otherwise, the fact that you know this car is always parked there and you admit you weren't paying attention.....this is the cars fault how?
That is silly and superfluous answer. Of course I made a mistake. The point is that safety systems are built to protect people whether they are being safe or otherwise. Toyota's has much to say about owner responsibility, but they still provide systems that used in conjunction with safe drivers will protect people. However, all the disclaimers being duly noted, why would Toyota choose to not operate the system if a safety belt is not engaged? I suspect that it is a design issue that needs to be corrected, or documented that the system is not engaged when the belt is not engaged. Furthermore, I used Carista to turn off the warning, because I have a long driveway and want the capability to back the car out from time to time to park it on the street. It seems to me that the Carista option should not be available if they do not engage the protection systems if the belt is not engaged.
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19 | 01:05 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
It's not a question of fault; it's a question of...shouldn't the auto brake system have stopped the vehicle! IMO it should have, but the system doesn't work if the seatbelt isn't buckled-up. Do you buckle up to move the vehicle a few feet?
No I don't. But I did learn a loooong time ago how to drive a car without having to rely on the computer to stop it for me.
The following users liked this post:
dchar (08-23-19)