RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus Anti Collision System

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-19, 06:49 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Lexus Anti Collision System

Hi All, just a word of warning.
I did a test to see if the Anti Collision System works without the seatbelt being on and it doesn't, did it twice and both time it touched the plastic barrel I used as obostacle, did again with seatbelt on and it worked as intended.

I did not try that in reverse gear.

Thought to mention it before someone gets into an argument with an immovable object
The following users liked this post:
jonathanz (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19, 08:23 AM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know. Thank you for testing that. Was there any kind of warning alarm (audible sound, etc) right before hitting the object?
Old 08-21-19, 09:31 AM
Cocal
Racer

No nothing, just kept going.

I think it's a flaw that needs correcting as not too many would buckle up to move the car 30 feet
Old 08-21-19, 11:05 AM
runscissor
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there an audible alert before it hit the brakes when your seatbelt was fastened? I could understand that the automatic emergency braking will be disabled if not buckled in otherwise a driver or passenger could go flying into the windshield. But it is inexcusable for there to be no warning alert (audible and visual etc) regardless of being buckled in or not. My Pacifica PHEV would blast a warning tone and the entire dash would light up if the system predicts an impending crash, buckled or not. What if I had heavy boxes sitting on the rear seats? Would these critical safety features be disabled because the vehicle thinks someone is sitting back there unbuckled?
Cocal (08-21-19)
Old 08-22-19, 03:45 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

the perimeter radar park assist didn't make any noise either ?? what speed were you testing at ??
mine goes off without a seatbelt, many times i park on the driveway then later pull it into the garage without a seatbelt.

different system it sounds,
Old 08-22-19, 05:17 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by JSracer
the perimeter radar park assist didn't make any noise either ?? what speed were you testing at ??
mine goes off without a seatbelt, many times i park on the driveway then later pull it into the garage without a seatbelt.
different system it sounds,
The perimeter and front radar worked OK only the auto braking failed, I tested it twice and failed twice then I buckled up and tried again and the auto brake worked as intended.
Old 08-22-19, 06:13 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Moral of the story.....wear your seatbelt.
Old 08-22-19, 08:23 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Moral of the story.....wear your seatbelt.
For sure even if you move the vehicle 10 feet!
Old 08-22-19, 11:48 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
For sure even if you move the vehicle 10 feet!
I don't wear my belt if I'm moving the car say, from the driveway into the garage, but my issue with that is the parking sensors/auto braking, or whatever it's called. I have a tight garage and when I start pulling in, it goes nuts beeping and booping! If I go anything over a half mph, it'll apply the brakes. Annoying, but not the end of the world!
Old 08-22-19, 12:12 PM
Cocal
Racer

My concern was that it would not apply the brakes at all if unbuckled and you wanted to squeeze all the inches to have some space behind.
When buckled-up no problem, I mentioned it as a warning so that everyone knows and will not run into a wall.
ravenuer (08-22-19)
Old 08-23-19, 06:00 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 106 Posts

The same thing happened to me last night while backing down my driveway. There is a car that is always parked on the other side of the street just opposite my driveway. I did not have my seat belt on, and was not paying attention. I tapped the other car (no damage to either car). I am going to find a way to test this and verify that it does not work. I know the braking system works when the seat belts are on, because it has stopped both our Rav and RX. This is a software error that Toyota should look into and issue a TSB for all vehicles.

Last edited by golferjack; 08-23-19 at 06:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Cocal (08-23-19)
Old 08-23-19, 08:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by golferjack
The same thing happened to me last night while backing down my driveway. There is a car that is always parked on the other side of the street just opposite my driveway. I did not have my seat belt on, and was not paying attention. I tapped the other car (no damage to either car). I am going to find a way to test this and verify that it does not work. I know the braking system works when the seat belts are on, because it has stopped both our Rav and RX. This is a software error that Toyota should look into and issue a TSB for all vehicles.
Again, the easy fix for this is to wear the seatbelt. Otherwise, the fact that you know this car is always parked there and you admit you weren't paying attention.....this is the cars fault how?
Old 08-23-19, 08:32 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts

Again, the easy fix for this is to wear the seatbelt. Otherwise, the fact that you know this car is always parked there and you admit you weren't paying attention.....this is the cars fault how?
you pay for all the extra safety systems... you expect them to actually work in all circumstances.
Old 08-23-19, 09:06 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I guess I'm unsure what systems are functioning or not functioning in these various tests: Intuitive Parking Assist (sound and display only), Intelligent Clearance Sonar (low speed front and rear braking for stationary objects), Pre-Collision System (higher speed front detection and braking), and/or Rear Cross Traffic Auto Braking. Add to all that the difference between detecting pedestrians as opposed to cars or buildings. If you look at the full manual, each has a number of specific situations where the system may not operate, as well as explanations where it should. Some camera, some radar, some sonar. The seat belt issue is not addressed that I can see in the manual, but these belts also have pre-tensioning which can activate prior to impact. Best advice, as above, is wear the belt but it may also be worth looking at the speeds and situations where each is intended to operate, or not, and how to really conduct a precise test.

Last edited by jim256; 08-23-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 10:38 AM
Cocal
Racer

It's not a question of fault; it's a question of...shouldn't the auto brake system have stopped the vehicle! IMO it should have, but the system doesn't work if the seatbelt isn't buckled-up. Do you buckle up to move the vehicle a few feet?
mspearl95 (08-23-19)

Quick Reply: Lexus Anti Collision System