RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Sanity Check On Something

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-19 | 06:48 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
The nail could well be true, just because the pressures were good doesn't mean the nail wasn't there, it may have been in tight and not leaking or not all the wall in yet. Saying it needed an alignment again could be true, you wouldn't know from just looking at the car. The service cost, well, sounds a lot for the US. I'm in Australia and the services here are around 700-800 AUD every time. (470-540 USD), but then we get burnt on most things here.
According to the OP, the stealer said it needed an alignment because of the nail in the tire. As far as the nail goes, if it was in the tread, no reason it couldn't have been patched or plugged. If it was in the sidewall, then ok, needs a new tire.
This whole thing sounds like a complete ripoff to me. He would do well to never darken their door again.
Old 09-20-19 | 07:00 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
No idea if you mean ME, someone else, or yourself Sketch?
Stand down Gunny, he’s talking about the dealership building in your picture with the ‘grimy’ comment.
Old 09-20-19 | 09:38 AM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Gunny, Thank you for your service. I'd say they definitely did wrong by you. I would gather all supporting documents and schedule a meeting with the service manager. Explain your concerns with the situation and see if they will make things right. I would also make it clear that if you were to ever return there you want to be notified of any additional services or "recommendations" in advance.
Old 09-20-19 | 09:42 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

They've tightened the standards for plugs/patches in the past several years, sidewall and a good portion of the lateral tread: (US Tire Industry Assn)

Puncture repairs are limited to the center of the tread area. If there are punctures or damage in the shoulder or sidewall of the tire, it is not repairable.

Old 09-25-19 | 02:16 PM
davidcvigi
Driver

As most of us know, a nail in a tire is an easy, quick repair unless it is in the sidewall area, in which case a new tire would be needed. An alignment because of a nail in the tire! Unforgivable, as is the failure to show the damaged tire.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19 | 02:18 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs down Sidewall My A**!

Originally Posted by jim256
They've tightened the standards for plugs/patches in the past several years, sidewall and a good portion of the lateral tread: (US Tire Industry Assn)

Puncture repairs are limited to the center of the tread area. If there are punctures or damage in the shoulder or sidewall of the tire, it is not repairable.

Thank you for posting this. Its 100 times easier to see it, than explain it. Their new "Guidelines" are clearly money makers! See that "Blue Line" on right side of Tire? Well THAT was where a small hole was upon visual inspection of the tire - and IMHO that does NOT constitute the "Sidewall" of ANY tire! They took advantage of her with their carefully manipulated style of Upselling -which I note is their jobs.
They did not put HER face to MY name and background with this Co. I'm no zillionaire like Crabtree, but I'm not adversary you'd wish for when ti comes to integrity violations!
Bottom line. They Compd the whole mess when I dropped a number of Corporate names given to me from my good friends in Brooklyn, where the RCF came from - Remember that story? LMFAO !!
Old 09-26-19 | 03:50 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

I would first call the local GM. No satisfaction than Lexus Corporate. When i have made these calls got great results. I do not not even take my vehicles in for the off 5,000, 15,000, 25,000 mile service. This is just a tire rotation. I rotate at every 10,000 miles if the tires are wearing evenly.

I pay less than $410 each for our ES 300h and RX 450h for every 30,000 miles. I never go in an ask for a 10,000 miles or 30,000 mile service. They charge ridiculous amounts for a lot of inspection of things that do not need to be inspected. Every 10,000 miles the oil needs to be changed. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed. At 30,000 miles the cabin and air filter need to be replaced. I do mine at 20,000 miles and cost $45 for both and take 5 minutes to change. Every 20,000 miles I replace the wiper inserts at $15 and again five minutes to change.

Ditto as above thanks for your service.
Old 09-26-19 | 04:03 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Thank you for posting this. Its 100 times easier to see it, than explain it. Their new "Guidelines" are clearly money makers! See that "Blue Line" on right side of Tire? Well THAT was where a small hole was upon visual inspection of the tire - and IMHO that does NOT constitute the "Sidewall" of ANY tire! They took advantage of her with their carefully manipulated style of Upselling -which I note is their jobs.
They did not put HER face to MY name and background with this Co. I'm no zillionaire like Crabtree, but I'm not adversary you'd wish for when ti comes to integrity violations!
Bottom line. They Compd the whole mess when I dropped a number of Corporate names given to me from my good friends in Brooklyn, where the RCF came from - Remember that story? LMFAO !!
A tire can't or shouldn't be repaired in the sidewall and on the shoulder, it's not about making money it's due to the tire flexing when cornering. As the vehicle corners the shoulder/sidewalls flex, the tread section of the tire stays relatively flat to the road but that shoulder flexes a lot, particularly when cornering hard; any repair there could compromise the tires strength. Have you ever seen slow motion video of a car cornering hard, can sometimes look like the tire is near pulling off the rim.
Old 09-26-19 | 05:59 AM
ravenuer
Racer

It's from the "US Tire Industry Assn". Apparently they want to be in charge of deciding when you need new tires. Duh!
Old 09-29-19 | 02:50 PM
robvia
Driver School Candidate

Everyone needs to have a tire patch kit. There's many versions on Amazon.
Amazon Amazon

You need the patch tools, patches, glue, and needle nose plyers, tire inflator, Depending on what you have, decides on what you need to buy. If you have needle nose plyers and a tire inflator, then buy the patches and tools.

I just rented a car, was driving away, and the tire pressure light was on in the car. I went back home and sure enough, there was a nail. I patched the tire, pumped it up, and drove away, no problems the entire trip.

Its' a funny story, because I remember buying the patches a few years ago. I bought a 20 pack thinking it would last forever. They are almost gone now. It seems I patch a tire every few months. See, here's 30 repair strings. I need to buy this again.
Amazon Amazon

BUY A PATCH KIT and PORTABLE TIRE PUMP. Buy a 30 pack of repair strings, you will use them. It's not hard to patch a tire. There's YouTube videos that show you how. Oh, and the rubber cement, I bought a bigger jar of it.
Amazon Amazon
The little tubesof cement don't last long. Get a big jar of it.

Last edited by robvia; 09-29-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-19 | 02:57 PM
GRJFER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robvia
Everyone needs to have a tire patch kit. There's many versions on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tire+patc...f=nb_sb_noss_1

You need the patch tools, patches, glue, and needle nose plyers, tire inflator, Depending on what you have, decides on what you need to buy. If you have needle nose plyers and a tire inflator, then buy the patches and tools.

I just rented a car, was driving away, and the tire pressure light was on in the car. I went back home and sure enough, there was a nail. I patched the tire, pumped it up, and drove away, no problems the entire trip.

Its' a funny story, because I remember buying the patches a few years ago. I bought a 20 pack thinking it would last forever. They are almost gone now. It seems I patch a tire every few months. See, here's 30 repair strings. I need to buy this again.
https://www.amazon.com/CK-Auto-Autom...ateway&sr=8-41

BUY A PATCH KIT and PORTABLE TIRE PUMP. Buy a 30 pack of repair strings, you will use them. It's not hard to patch a tire. There's YouTube videos that show you how. Oh, and the rubber cement, I bought a bigger jar of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1050-Ru...ateway&sr=8-11
The little tubes don't last long. Get a big jar of it.
Though I know what you mean others may not. What you are linking and referring to is a plug kit. Patch a tire you need to break it down off of the wheel and install the patch on the inside of the tire. I plugged kit allows you to clean the hole and then install a rubberized rope material plug.
GunnyFitz (09-30-19)
Old 09-30-19 | 04:31 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Agreed GRJFER - THAT is the ONLY way to know any hoe has been patched correctly, and IMHO should've been done instead.

May as well close this Thread down since the after my Cool Down period I paid the Service Director a visit and resolved this issue - well, mostly....
ravenuer (09-30-19)