RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Track pad usefulness?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 02:21 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track pad usefulness?

My question, is there a logical purpose for the touch pad and touch screen?
Seems like overkill.
Old 09-30-19, 03:09 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy208
My question, is there a logical purpose for the touch pad and touch screen?
Seems like overkill.
It's like onscreen keyboard and trackpad..

You can click on screen stuff with trackpad.. but its easier to just touch the screen

Last edited by tipsytopsy; 09-30-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 03:43 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
It's like onscreen keyboard and trackpad..

You can click on screen stuff with trackpad.. but its easier to just touch the screen
So the track pad really isn’t necessary?
You don’t have to do anything with it to use the touch?
That’s what I was worried about.
Can’t believe anyone would prefer it.
Old 09-30-19, 04:25 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roxy208
So the track pad really isn’t necessary?
You don’t have to do anything with it to use the touch?
That’s what I was worried about.
Can’t believe anyone would prefer it.
That's correct.. it's not necessary.. but it works with the partial refresh so ppl don't have to reach to the screen. Remember that Lexus didn't redesign the whole thing, just added touch and brought screen a little closer.. which is basically a bandaid. In couple years they'll refresh to make things different..
Old 10-01-19, 07:13 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Trackpad works great as I have it in my ES. Touchscreen you may never use.
The following users liked this post:
Bigjer2 (10-20-22)
Old 10-01-19, 08:07 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

I’m assuming the Apple Car Play is plug in. Does the track pad and the touch screen control it?
Old 10-01-19, 03:30 PM
JNI
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can operate everything with just the touchpad or just the touchscreen. The trackpad is a little easier to use for some quick actions while driving (once you develop the muscle memory) but of course the touch screen is better for typing addresses and the like.
Old 10-01-19, 03:32 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

For left handed ppl like me - a touch pad on my right hand is a disaster.. touch screen would alleviate that
Old 10-01-19, 05:39 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by tipsytopsy
For left handed ppl like me - a touch pad on my right hand is a disaster.. touch screen would alleviate that
Wow never thought about that. Still a longer reach to the screen from your left hand?
Old 10-01-19, 05:58 PM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Wow never thought about that. Still a longer reach to the screen from your left hand?
Touch screen via right hand is not that big of a problem.. using a trackpad device is little tricky.. not bad though.. but would rather touch the screen and Android auto is very intuitive to use anyway
Old 10-04-19, 06:51 AM
jason2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JNI
You can operate everything with just the touchpad or just the touchscreen. The trackpad is a little easier to use for some quick actions while driving (once you develop the muscle memory) but of course the touch screen is better for typing addresses and the like.
I just got a 2020 450h. The new "touch screen" although does provide some nice convenience, I do find the existing "touch pad" is a great help and I am glad lI found many times it is quicker and easier to perform some functions with "touch pad". The "touch screen" is still somewhat slight far to reach ( I am 6.0 feet tall).
I specifically waited the 2020 model because the bad reviews given to the "touch pad". I also tried the "Apple CarPlay" feature with the new 2020 model and didn't find it is that useful. The "map" screen takes up the whole screen and I can't make the split screen to work in carplay mode. I actually prefer the native Lexus Nav system over the "Apply carPlay". No need to hoop up the phone with a USB cable. All the phone calls can be simply routed via Bluetooth feature. Now I felt that should just bought a 2019 model and save me thousands of $$$.
Old 10-04-19, 08:29 AM
Porcupine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jason2020
I just got a 2020 450h. The new "touch screen" although does provide some nice convenience, I do find the existing "touch pad" is a great help and I am glad lI found many times it is quicker and easier to perform some functions with "touch pad". The "touch screen" is still somewhat slight far to reach ( I am 6.0 feet tall).
I specifically waited the 2020 model because the bad reviews given to the "touch pad". I also tried the "Apple CarPlay" feature with the new 2020 model and didn't find it is that useful. The "map" screen takes up the whole screen and I can't make the split screen to work in carplay mode. I actually prefer the native Lexus Nav system over the "Apply carPlay". No need to hoop up the phone with a USB cable. All the phone calls can be simply routed via Bluetooth feature. Now I felt that should just bought a 2019 model and save me thousands of $$$.
I agree with your assessment. I too got a 2020 450h and have been driving it for a week now. The touchscreen isn't much help as it is still slightly too far away and I am not short either. The "touch pad" in my opinion is a nice supplement to the touch screen. The 2019 would have saved me easily at least 3 thousand dollars. However, one thing to note is that the 2020 comes with gen 11 navigation whereas the 2019 comes with gen 10? I noticed when test driving the 2019 vs 2020, the infotainment screen is a lot snappier/responsive on the 2020 and slower on the 2019.
Old 10-04-19, 09:36 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

FYI, 2019 and 2018 did not have the touch pad, the NX does, but RX had that toggle mouse with side entry buttons, or push down, to select. I had a touch pad on a '15 NX and found it was tough to use consistently if the road was anything but smooth despite using the feedback and touch settings. The toggle mouse on the '18 is OK but it needs your attention to get on the right icon.

I'm not sure there is any great answer to navigating all the menus on cars now. Volvo gets good reviews by some but the number of options on their screens is incredible on the higher trims. They do seem to be well segregated, however. I had a '17 BMW and liked the wheel/push to select once I found what I was looking for, but finding what you wanted was not very easy. We have a '19 Honda with touch screen NAV, and while the NAV is kind of limited the screen is well placed and fairly easy to find what you want. Small display, however, but the vehicle settings are pretty well laid out. That's why our manuals are collectively 1100 pages now
Old 10-05-19, 12:03 PM
jason2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
FYI, 2019 and 2018 did not have the touch pad, the NX does, but RX had that toggle mouse with side entry buttons, or push down, to select. I had a touch pad on a '15 NX and found it was tough to use consistently if the road was anything but smooth despite using the feedback and touch settings. The toggle mouse on the '18 is OK but it needs your attention to get on the right icon.

I'm not sure there is any great answer to navigating all the menus on cars now. Volvo gets good reviews by some but the number of options on their screens is incredible on the higher trims. They do seem to be well segregated, however. I had a '17 BMW and liked the wheel/push to select once I found what I was looking for, but finding what you wanted was not very easy. We have a '19 Honda with touch screen NAV, and while the NAV is kind of limited the screen is well placed and fairly easy to find what you want. Small display, however, but the vehicle settings are pretty well laid out. That's why our manuals are collectively 1100 pages now
The Voice command in 2020 RX is very easy to use and a great help. One push to the "Voice" button on the steeling wheel and you can quickly set the "destination address", "radio station", "cabin temperature", etc via your voice.
Old 10-19-22, 09:20 AM
ldn323
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2022 Infotainment Center Track Pad

At this point, the main (only?) point holding me back from getting a 2022 RX 450h is the track pad to interface with the infotainment center. I simply can't picture using it while driving!
I have viewed/read several negative reviews regarding this issue. My question is: how often a driver would need to use it while driving? Are there any other ways to accomplish frequently used tasks without using the track pad? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Track pad usefulness?