RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

question on body shop after accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 10:34 AM
super_ben7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question on body shop after accident

a few days back i was involved a multi car accident. some car sideswiped my car and hit few more. i filed a claim with my Insurance and they gave me a list of preferred body shop and lexus is not 1 of them. but i am allowed to take the car to the lexus dealer (where i got the car) for estimate/repair. the damage looks bad to me, everything on 1 side needs to be fixed/replaced. for the folks who unfortunately went thru this process. did you end up having lexus certified body shop to fix the collision? none of the insurance preferred body shop are lexus certified. i have a 4th gen model.
Old 10-13-19, 12:16 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

[QUOTE=super_ben7;10634621]a few days back i was involved a multi car accident. some car sideswiped my car and hit few more. i filed a claim with my Insurance and they gave me a list of preferred body shop and lexus is not 1 of them. but i am allowed to take the car to the lexus dealer (where i got the car) for estimate/repair. the damage looks bad to me, everything on 1 side needs to be fixed/replaced. for the folks who unfortunately went thru this process. did you end up having lexus certified body shop to fix the collision? none of the insurance preferred body shop are lexus certified. i have a 4th gen model.[/QUOTEe]
It sounds like you were not at fault, then here's what I would do. Forget about the list from your insurance company and I would not involve Lexus at all. Find a repair shop that "only" repairs high-end vehicles, get a quote and let the insurance company negotiate with the repair shop. Have the insurance company send the check for damages directly to you and fix the car where and when you like. Personally I would go to the high-end repair shop.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (10-13-19)
Old 10-13-19, 12:19 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

A preferred shop is a shop willing to cut corners and make it cheaper for the insurance company, e.g.using not OEM parts etc.
This doesn't necessarily mean that they do a bad job.
Old 10-13-19, 03:23 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 377 Posts

Is your car leased or owned? If leased, when you turn it in and the Lexus dealer has any questions/concerns about the repair, well, tell them to call Lexus.
Old 10-13-19, 04:11 PM
super_ben7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I am kinda leaning to take the car back to the dealership as they have a collision shop. Also it is a leased car.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (10-13-19)
Old 10-14-19, 04:17 PM
brandy08
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This past June my 2016 RX350 was involved in an accident. My insurance company gave me two auto body shops to go to, I went to the one closest to me. This place is well known, all parts that were replaced are all Lexus parts. My RX is a lease and I have attached all what was done to to vehicle to my contract.
Old 10-14-19, 05:09 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I had my 2015 RX-350 and 2017 RX-450 repaired at local body shops recommended by State Farm. The estimates were generated by the repair body shop without any on-site visits from State Farm and were generated pretty fast and repairs commenced in a few days. State Farm insisted on OEM parts and would not even let the repair shop use the equivalent Toyota Highlander parts, only genuine Lexus OEM parts at a much higher repair cost (deer accidents, no money out of my pocket). In my experience there's no way that repairs are done any better at a Lexus dealer or a Lexus certified shop than they are at a capable independent shop or Toyota dealer. In my case of course, I did verify that the local shop has an excellent reputation. It's not rocket science and the Lexus car's are assembled and repaired using the same processes as most other cars. I did in both cases have to take the cars to the Lexus dealer to have the ICS system re-calibrated. 4 hours labor book rate at $140 hour billed to the insurance company despite the fact that the technician did the job in just under 1.5 hours.
Old 10-14-19, 05:26 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

I learned from the body shop that depending on your insurance, you can get OEM parts or after market parts that are close to OEM. The more expensive insurance companies like State Farm and AAA always insist on the highest quality which is why their insurance is more expensive. Other's like the Costo insurance, Geiko, etc, ask for cheaper parts because they want to save money.

Again, this is from what the body shop guy told me.
Old 10-17-19, 04:00 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by super_ben7
a few days back i was involved a multi car accident. some car sideswiped my car and hit few more. i filed a claim with my Insurance and they gave me a list of preferred body shop and lexus is not 1 of them. but i am allowed to take the car to the lexus dealer (where i got the car) for estimate/repair. the damage looks bad to me, everything on 1 side needs to be fixed/replaced. for the folks who unfortunately went thru this process. did you end up having lexus certified body shop to fix the collision? none of the insurance preferred body shop are lexus certified. i have a 4th gen model.
Someone backed into my car at a grocery store. Same situation with the insurance as you.
I took the car to their place for an estimate, then to Lexus body shop. They did the repairs for the same as the estimate.