RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Custom order process

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-19 | 04:56 AM
2020RX450H
Rookie

Default Custom order process

2020 Special Order Question: Hi, I placed a special order for a 2020 RX 450h Sport SUV (Model 9446) on June 21, 2019. This 2020 model was launched in early September, but the Raleigh Johnson Lexus dealer has none yet in their inventory. I've been in communication with their Inventory Manager who has been extremely helpful. With that said, is there a determine an actual delivery date of my special order, now that production has begun? I'm specifically looking for the "build date" of my order, as well as estimated date when Johnson Lexus of Raleigh will receive this vehicle for my purchase. Thoughts/comments?
Old 10-15-19 | 06:30 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

So it's coming from Japan, or Canada? If Japan, it takes 5 months from the date it is accepted by Lexus before you will be able to pick it up. And judging by the 6/21 date you ordered, you may have missed the cut-off for orders to count in June. So your order may not have actually been accepted by Lexus until July.

That's my experience when I special ordered my GS.

YMMV.
Old 10-15-19 | 06:35 AM
2020RX450H
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtrue28
So it's coming from Japan, or Canada? If Japan, it takes 5 months from the date it is accepted by Lexus before you will be able to pick it up. And judging by the 6/21 date you ordered, you may have missed the cut-off for orders to count in June. So your order may not have actually been accepted by Lexus until July.

That's my experience when I special ordered my GS.

YMMV.
The Raleigh dealer indicated the 450h Sport is manufactured in Canada. And from what I understand, the order has not yet even accepted the order, even though it was placed by the Raleigh Lexus dealer in June.
Old 10-15-19 | 02:41 PM
bgil47
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2020RX450H
2020 Special Order Question: Hi, I placed a special order for a 2020 RX 450h Sport SUV (Model 9446) on June 21, 2019. This 2020 model was launched in early September, but the Raleigh Johnson Lexus dealer has none yet in their inventory. I've been in communication with their Inventory Manager who has been extremely helpful. With that said, is there a determine an actual delivery date of my special order, now that production has begun? I'm specifically looking for the "build date" of my order, as well as estimated date when Johnson Lexus of Raleigh will receive this vehicle for my purchase. Thoughts/comments?
In late July, I gave my local dealer a deposit for a factory order 450h. I knew at the time that Lexus was not building them yet, but I just wanted to get in que for a vehicle when they started.

Around sept 7, I was notified by my sales guy that lexus had started to build the 2020 RXs. Not my specific car, but at least the new models were starting to be built. Around september 17, I was notified by my sales guy that they had an official build date for my vehicle. It will be built November 1.
I live in the pacific Northwest and the dealership thinks that I will get my vehicle in late November or early December. They did send me a 2 page sheet detailing the vehicle and all the options. It also has the new vin number of the vehicle.. I think all the RXs in north America are built in one factory around Toronto, I think the factory is in Ontario. Your dealership will get notified of your vehicles build date.

I know this does not specifically answer your question. I just wanted to share with you what I have experienced so far in this process.
Old 10-15-19 | 03:11 PM
2020RX450H
Rookie

Good news! Today I received the following email from my Lexus dealer:

I have a production date for your new RX

It is October 31ST.

We generally get the car about 20 days after the production date.

It rides a train from Canada down to Atlanta, and they gets trucked back up to the dealership from that port.

So I would guess right around Nov 20th we will have it on the lot for delivery!
Old 10-15-19 | 03:22 PM
bgil47
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2020RX450H
Good news! Today I received the following email from my Lexus dealer:

I have a production date for your new RX

It is October 31
ST.

We generally get the car about 20 days after the production date.

It rides a train from Canada down to Atlanta, and they gets trucked back up to the dealership from that port.

So I would guess right around Nov 20th we will have it on the lot for delivery!
Thats a nice surprise. I will be a week or so behind you. I think our port is in Portland, oregon.
Old 10-15-19 | 08:16 PM
rx20info
Rookie

Default custom order vs. special order?

For the people here who are talking about a "custom order", I am wondering whether you are talking about configurations that your local dealer simply doesn't have or configurations that the Lexus build site won't allow?
The reason I ask is that on the Lexus build site picking the Premium package forces you to pick the moonroof option and almos all other package/options end up forcing you to select the Premium package. Hence it turns out that anything above the bare bones config forces you to get a moonroof. Since I don't want a moonroof, it seems that I would have to do a special order. Hence, my question.

If people who did a "custom order" actually got something that the Lexus config site doesn't allow, I would be interested to know what you ordered that you could not put together on that site.
Old 10-16-19 | 03:43 AM
2020RX450H
Rookie

Originally Posted by rx20info
For the people here who are talking about a "custom order", I am wondering whether you are talking about configurations that your local dealer simply doesn't have or configurations that the Lexus build site won't allow?
The reason I ask is that on the Lexus build site picking the Premium package forces you to pick the moonroof option and almos all other package/options end up forcing you to select the Premium package. Hence it turns out that anything above the bare bones config forces you to get a moonroof. Since I don't want a moonroof, it seems that I would have to do a special order. Hence, my question.

If people who did a "custom order" actually got something that the Lexus config site doesn't allow, I would be interested to know what you ordered that you could not put together on that site.

I wasn’t forced or pressured towards ordering a certain package. I sat at the inventory manager’s desk, at his computer monitor, and he plugged in only the options I was interested in. The attached image is of the screen shot he emailed me of my order after we were done. CHECK OUT THE LEXUS I JUST CONFIGURED: https://lexus.us/2ZMvEIq

2020 RX 450h Sport order, North Carolina
Old 10-16-19 | 03:45 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by rx20info

A Custom Order is not something that isn't available on the website. Those days of true custom from a car manufacturer are purely in the coach builders category and Lexus is not one of them. Custom order is a poor term to use these days. What the example in this thread is an ordered vehicle different from the regional allotment. The Regional sales team for Lexus chooses what dealers may orders especially in the beginning of the a model year. This allows the factory to have enough parts on hand from sub contractors for supplies. When a dealer changes one of the cars from the preselected configured packages, they have to order the car.

I ordered a 2014 GX460 in August of 2013. The vehicle is solely built in Japan. My differences from the preselected configurations for the region were the driver's support package, in combination with the factory rear entertainment system on a Luxury model. Due to this request for options and packages, I had to wait for it to be built and shipped. I received the vehicle at the end of January 2014.

Randy B
The following users liked this post:
2020RX450H (10-16-19)