RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2020 RX - Fog Lamps - Where to find?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 05:36 PM
Louis31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In PR since hurricane Maria rodea (specially in the mountain) are pretty dark and fog light can help a lot since there are high cliffs. The SUV will also look nice. And yes in PR we do have pretty thick fog. Be safe

Originally Posted by Cocal
Why? they are useless as they are installed from the factory, this apply to all makes. When young I lived in an area where there was a lot of fog and there were dedicated lights the best were yellow as the beam did not reflect back.
Fog-lights today are lipstick on a pig, useful only to sell it as a feature to get more money. This from a functional point of view.
Do you get a lot of fog in Puerto Rico or do you want to install them just fort the looks?
Old 05-12-21, 07:26 PM
NX200
Driver School Candidate

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...689d2b2bWzH5bH
Old 08-11-21, 09:56 PM
Saranhai
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Out of curiosity (and not even sure if anybody knows this), but now that the fog lamps/cornering lights are available as a standalone option, would we be able to install that assembly on older models (2020, 2021)? I have a 2021 RXh with the bi-LED headlamps and mine did not come with fog lamps. Would be awesome if we could purchase those from parts. Thoughts?
Old 08-12-21, 04:55 PM
mrolds69
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I learned a long time ago it's better to get the options you want when you buy the car. There are repro pairs of the fog lamps on ebay now. There are no kits that I know of. Despite what I see people saying here, you can add just about anything to your RX that was available. You need the parts and the knowledge to do it right. Typically, it costs way more to add something later. You could put the fogs in, you can buy a wireless remote switch and harness to run them. You can hard wire the lights to a switch. But the cornering lights won't work. It's possible somebody may make a kit in the future. But the next generation they may be different, so there would maybe not be a large enough market in the US to do that. I didn't know they were available as an option now. It depends if you're talking about an over the counter kit, or from the factory. I know when I had my 2018 XSE Camry someone was selling a plug and play harness for the aftermarket fogs. But the fogs were on whenever the lights were on, and they had 2 options for the harness. On always, or off when hi beams were used.
Old 08-16-21, 08:39 AM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

The question is not whether the parts are available through Lexus or not. The parts can be ordered through Lexus online.

81210A - right fog light assembly - $331.01
812220 - left fog light assembly - $331.01
841400E170 - switch assembly headlight dimmer - $174.26 (if you want factory fog light switch)

These parts along cost $836.28 online through Lexus (might be able to apply some discounts). Mostly plug and play.

The real question is the price worth the investment? If you need to add installation cost, is it worth the price to add after purchase or is it better to purchase vehicle with fog lights already factory installed? This is a personal question as not every one will answer the same.
Old 08-16-21, 10:18 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Even if you get the parts, not sure if the installation is easy. Are the wiring already there?
Old 08-16-21, 04:34 PM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Originally Posted by websurfer
Even if you get the parts, not sure if the installation is easy. Are the wiring already there?
Most of the models, Lexus uses the same wiring harness for non fog lights.
Old 08-17-21, 11:07 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwlexus09
Most of the models, Lexus uses the same wiring harness for non fog lights.
ok. Probably need that switch on the turn signal also right?

I installed fog lamps in another vehicle and will never do it again, it was an adventure to fish the lines.
Old 08-17-21, 07:42 PM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Originally Posted by websurfer
ok. Probably need that switch on the turn signal also right?

I installed fog lamps in another vehicle and will never do it again, it was an adventure to fish the lines.
Agreed. Not for the faint of heart. Definitely need some experience beyond using a screwdriver. It can be done. After purchase.
Old 10-09-21, 02:52 PM
Wstashlu
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More on fog light installation.

As reported earlier, I have installed the lights themselves and the steering wheel stalk but have not completed the wiring. Yes, I understand 2022 RX has stand-alone option which could be helpful on the wiring. For me the wiring problem is the signal you need from the main cabin computer are can-bus signals that tell you when the fog light switch is on and when you are traveling over 40 mph so corner lights don't come on at highway speeds. These can-bus signals must be decoded and turned into analog signals to be used by the circuitry to power the lights.. This is done on the light module for the three been system,, not available in the wiring of any other RX. Otherwise, the other signals you need ( like low beam on and turn signal on can be obtained with existing wiring). If anyone has knowledge in this area please let me know. I would love to have this all work!
Old 11-02-21, 02:32 PM
Hazelgl
Driver School Candidate

Did you get the Fog Lights working? If so, how did you wire them? Did you need to take the bumper off?
Old 11-11-21, 07:07 AM
Wstashlu
10th Gear

Have not completed wiring yet . No need to take bumper off, you do need to remove one panel on top and 2 underneath. Lights fit nicely. Will work more on wiring in next few weeks, hopefully. Will report that he.
Old 11-11-21, 08:42 PM
Saranhai
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wstashlu
Have not completed wiring yet . No need to take bumper off, you do need to remove one panel on top and 2 underneath. Lights fit nicely. Will work more on wiring in next few weeks, hopefully. Will report that he.
Wow! Would honestly love to see some pictures of your progress if you're willing to share! Does the fog lamp unit also come with the cornering lights as well?
Old 11-12-21, 01:07 AM
Wstashlu
10th Gear

Saranhai, Sorry didn't take any pics, looks like the factory installed ones that you see, Adds a nice little sparkle to the front when you remove the original black inserts in the bumper area, My fog/ turn signal illumination modules are on my 2020 RX450h with premium package, eminent white . The right and left units include both fog and turn illumination, it wasn't until I tested the units with a 9v battery that I realize it had both! Dealer didn't tell me and it is not toted in the literature(the turn signal part). The 2020 and 2021 are almost identical so you should have no problem putting them on your vehicle, The problem is the wiring! Cost? that is a personal decision, for me having them working would be great. I tested them again with the 9v battery on the car and both provide substantial illumination with sharp cut off to avoid on coming cars and low fog.

Last edited by Wstashlu; 11-12-21 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-12-21, 08:26 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Wstashlu
Saranhai, Sorry didn't take any pics, looks like the factory installed ones that you see, Adds a nice little sparkle to the front when you remove the original black inserts in the bumper area, My fog/ turn signal illumination modules are on my 2020 RX450h with premium package, eminent white . The right and left units include both fog and turn illumination, it wasn't until I tested the units with a 9v battery that I realize it had both! Dealer didn't tell me and it is not toted in the literature(the turn signal part). The 2020 and 2021 are almost identical so you should have no problem putting them on your vehicle, The problem is the wiring! Cost? that is a personal decision, for me having them working would be great. I tested them again with the 9v battery on the car and both provide substantial illumination with sharp cut off to avoid on coming cars and low fog.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can't tell from your comments if you bought OEM lights or aftermarkets. If aftermarket, can you share what you purchased. I think someone else posted the OEM fog light part numbers previously in this thread.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX - Fog Lamps - Where to find?