RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus app gas gauge inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19 | 11:27 AM
Rpickoff
Driver

Default Lexus app gas gauge inaccurate

I noticed the gas gauge indicator on the Lexus app never shows a full tank. The most it shows is around 7/8 full even after it is topped off to Full. Has anyone else noted this? Wonder why?
Old 11-26-19 | 05:03 PM
RM2020
Driver School Candidate

Yes, yesterday I have realized about that when I refill my fuel tank and see that the information on the app is not accurate. However if you see the info on the monitor (not the dashboard) you will see that that matches with the app, but this information does not show up in your app in real time since there is a lag of probably 10 to 15 minutes. That being said there are two sources that are not accurate (on the infotainment and the app) which I am assuming are linked that’s why they show the same info.

would be great to know if the factory can calibrate this ...
Old 11-26-19 | 06:12 PM
Rpickoff
Driver

Originally Posted by RM2020
Yes, yesterday I have realized about that when I refill my fuel tank and see that the information on the app is not accurate. However if you see the info on the monitor (not the dashboard) you will see that that matches with the app, but this information does not show up in your app in real time since there is a lag of probably 10 to 15 minutes. That being said there are two sources that are not accurate (on the infotainment and the app) which I am assuming are linked that’s why they show the same info.

would be great to know if the factory can calibrate this ...
I’m not sure I know what you mean by ‘monitor’
Old 11-26-19 | 08:19 PM
RM2020
Driver School Candidate

The infotainment screen...
Old 11-27-19 | 03:46 AM
Rpickoff
Driver

Originally Posted by RM2020
The infotainment screen...

thanks for clarifying. I’ll look but I don’t recall seeing the fuel level on the infotainment screen. Interestingly, the range in miles on the app is accurate even though the fuel level isn’t.
Old 11-27-19 | 05:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rpickoff
thanks for clarifying. I’ll look but I don’t recall seeing the fuel level on the infotainment screen. Interestingly, the range in miles on the app is accurate even though the fuel level isn’t.
I've never seen it there either although I'm sure there are other things you can display there that I've never looked for. Fuel gauge right smack in your face - why would you need to display it elsewhere.
Old 11-27-19 | 06:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I've never seen it there either although I'm sure there are other things you can display there that I've never looked for. Fuel gauge right smack in your face - why would you need to display it elsewhere.
There are more things in these techno car that are overdone & redundant and if one were to learn them all by that time it would be time to trade or end the lease!
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19 | 08:44 AM
RM2020
Driver School Candidate

Gents, I meant to say the range in miles (instead of fuel level) shown in the infotainment screen shows exactly the same information than the app, but with a lag of 10 to 15 minutes. Which it is different compared to the Information showed in the dashboard fuel level (described by the needle on the dashboard)
Old 11-27-19 | 08:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It's a bit odd that it's off in the RX. On the app for my GS it shows it accurately, and will show the tank as full when it is indeed full.
Old 12-02-19 | 04:02 PM
RM2020
Driver School Candidate

Default New finding.....

Hello everyone,

I have been traveling for the long weekend and while I was not driving my RX, I was trying to explain the issue between the app and the fuel level not matching... well I thought based on the information of this thread about “what if” all of this issue was caused due to the lag (delay) on the information shown in the app which happened to be, in my case, checked every time I stoped the car at the end of the day (coincidently) and verifying that it was not accurate?. So after coming back from my trip guess what I verified?, Yesss, the assumption was correct the information on the dashboard and the app was the same.... so this inaccurate info is caused by the lag of the information... 10 to 15 minutes of lag....
Old 12-04-19 | 05:38 AM
dibl
Instructor

The fuel level and remaining range indicators are all set "conservative", i.e. they are designed to scare you into refueling by understating how much fuel/distance you have left. I had occasion to run my 2018 RX down to an alleged 9 miles of remaining range before refueling, per dashboard information. My 19.2 gal. "reference" gas tank (per owner's manual) took only 15.1 gal. to top off. I emailed my dealer technical guy about it and here is his exact answer:

"You're not going crazy. Toyota (and therefore Lexus) have always been overly cautious about the safety margin of gas left in fuel tanks when the gas light comes on. To that point the RX will have roughly 3.5 gallons of gas left in the tank when the range shows zero miles. The cruising range estimation is also notoriously low."
TheNorth (12-04-19)
Old 12-04-19 | 07:48 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by dibl
The fuel level and remaining range indicators are all set "conservative", i.e. they are designed to scare you into refueling by understating how much fuel/distance you have left. I had occasion to run my 2018 RX down to an alleged 9 miles of remaining range before refueling, per dashboard information. My 19.2 gal. "reference" gas tank (per owner's manual) took only 15.1 gal. to top off. I emailed my dealer technical guy about it and here is his exact answer:
"You're not going crazy. Toyota (and therefore Lexus) have always been overly cautious about the safety margin of gas left in fuel tanks when the gas light comes on. To that point the RX will have roughly 3.5 gallons of gas left in the tank when the range shows zero miles. The cruising range estimation is also notoriously low."
There is another reason why Lexus/Toyo and all others with the same fuel delivery system do this and that is to protect the fuel pumps. If you ever run dry you'll soon find out why with your wallet. :-)
ravenuer (12-04-19)
Old 12-04-19 | 09:21 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by Cocal
There is another reason why Lexus/Toyo and all others with the same fuel delivery system do this and that is to protect the fuel pumps. If you ever run dry you'll soon find out why with your wallet. :-)
Which is why when my tank gets down to about a quarter, I just fill it up. Done.
At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man, I'm not getting all the to-do about the fuel "app" not matching the gauge in the car. Whoever is driving the car is usually in charge of getting gas when it's low. Not sure what an app has to do with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ravenuer:
Cocal (12-04-19), Nail34 (12-04-19)
Old 12-04-19 | 11:16 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Which is why when my tank gets down to about a quarter, I just fill it up. Done.
At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man, I'm not getting all the to-do about the fuel "app" not matching the gauge in the car. Whoever is driving the car is usually in charge of getting gas when it's low. Not sure what an app has to do with it.
I fill up when it get down to 1/2, also the fuel pump (in the tank) doesn't like warmth and with the excess fuel being returned back to the tank the more fuel in it the less the warmth effect.
Old 12-04-19 | 11:18 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

The App has nothing to do with the gas tank status. Its a remote monitoring system. It will tell you everything about the car. Did you leave it unlocked? Windows down?

I get a discount on my insurance because my Lexus has a system of knowing where its always located. And with your phone you can find your car. Best case scenario is I lose it in a parking lot. Worse case is it gets stolen.

My 2016 RX has problems with the location system. And needs to go back to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Lexus app gas gauge inaccurate