RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Uneven idle & no illumination on the steering wheel buttons after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 02:35 AM
torque81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Uneven idle & no illumination on the steering wheel buttons after battery replacement

My first post on this incredible forum and my first Lexus, a used one bought from the dealer today and I am already facing issues. So long story short, I brought home a 2016 Lexus RX350 FSport with 42k miles on the clock today. Parked the car at home, came back after sometime and it would not start. After pressing the starter button it will only do a trr.. trrr sound and started to throw all sorts of errors. Called the break down service and they replaced the battery. Now on to the issues after battery replacement
1. The car idle is uneven which was not the case earlier. It goes up and down when standing still.
2. I cannot see any illumination on the steering wheel buttons, although the buttons themselves are working fine. All the other interiors lights are just fine.

What could be the issue? I am planning to go to the dealership on Monday but still want to know what the issues could be as I will not be able to sleep. I spent a lot on this car and bought it because of the famed Lexus reliability but my first experience has been extremely bad. I am in Melbourne Australia and Lexus recommends putting 95 octane petrol which is what it is running on? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-19, 04:35 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Just my humble opinion,but you must remember that this vehicle is mainly a computer on wheels. With the battery failure and replacement, you experienced what is a reset of the car’s electronic components. I believe the dealer will address your problems with some computer reprogramming. I also had a battery failure on my 16. My car was made in late 2015 so the battery lasted only about 3 1/2 years.
Old 11-30-19, 05:56 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by torque81
My first post on this incredible forum and my first Lexus, a used one bought from the dealer today and I am already facing issues. So long story short, I brought home a 2016 Lexus RX350 FSport with 42k miles on the clock today. Parked the car at home, came back after sometime and it would not start. After pressing the starter button it will only do a trr.. trrr sound and started to throw all sorts of errors. Called the break down service and they replaced the battery. Now on to the issues after battery replacement
1. The car idle is uneven which was not the case earlier. It goes up and down when standing still.
2. I cannot see any illumination on the steering wheel buttons, although the buttons themselves are working fine. All the other interiors lights are just fine.
What could be the issue? I am planning to go to the dealership on Monday but still want to know what the issues could be as I will not be able to sleep. I spent a lot on this car and bought it because of the famed Lexus reliability but my first experience has been extremely bad. I am in Melbourne Australia and Lexus recommends putting 95 octane petrol which is what it is running on? Thanks in advance.
What RX Times said, plus on these ?@#$ cars you cannot just change the battery, you must connect the car to a power supply before removing the battery in order to keep all the settings, failure to do this will require the settings to be reprogrammed including your personal ones.
Old 11-30-19, 11:04 AM
torque81
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Just my humble opinion,but you must remember that this vehicle is mainly a computer on wheels. With the battery failure and replacement, you experienced what is a reset of the car’s electronic components. I believe the dealer will address your problems with some computer reprogramming. I also had a battery failure on my 16. My car was made in late 2015 so the battery lasted only about 3 1/2 years.
Thanks Rxtimes! To be honest all my seat settings were still there and my phone still connects to bluetooth without doing anything. Could the battery change explain no lights on the steering wheel and uneven idle?
Old 11-30-19, 12:03 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Thanks Rxtimes! To be honest all my seat settings were still there and my phone still connects to bluetooth without doing anything. Could the battery change explain no lights on the steering wheel and uneven idle?
I assume you have adjusted the brightness with the controls behind the left side of the steering wheel, on the dash, by the ODO switch.

There are many Electronic Control Units for various functions on the car. I don't know for sure, but I would think that the engine ECU might be at fault. I just don't think it is a big problem. I also think it is the result of the dead battery. When the dealer hooks the car up to their Scan Tool I think all will be easily corrected. Of course I have a really great Lexus service department that goes above and beyond what is expected.
Old 11-30-19, 06:14 PM
torque81
Rookie

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
I assume you have adjusted the brightness with the controls behind the left side of the steering wheel, on the dash, by the ODO switch.

There are many Electronic Control Units for various functions on the car. I don't know for sure, but I would think that the engine ECU might be at fault. I just don't think it is a big problem. I also think it is the result of the dead battery. When the dealer hooks the car up to their Scan Tool I think all will be easily corrected. Of course I have a really great Lexus service department that goes above and beyond what is expected.
Yes I have. Its on full brightness. Only the steering lights are not functioning.
Old 12-01-19, 02:47 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Yes I have. Its on full brightness. Only the steering lights are not functioning.
There are a couple of “dealer only” programmable settings that affect the instrument lights. The settings control the amount of light required to automatically dim and brighten the lights. Since it’s only the steering wheel lights that are not working, it is not likely that this setting is the culprit. Maybe a connector has come loose. It still interests me that it happened at the same time as the battery replacement.

Please let us know what the dealer did to correct the problems.
Old 12-01-19, 08:11 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

torque81 this is interesting. On my 16, the brightness control has no affect on the steering wheel lights, while on my 17, the steering wheel lights dim and brighten with the brightness control. Don't know why they would make this change from 16 to 17, or if it really is a change or there is something that we are not getting. Fingers crossed the dealer will have an easy answer.
Old 12-01-19, 10:28 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

Maybe blown fuses for steering lights and fuel injection system?
Old 12-01-19, 01:26 PM
torque81
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
Maybe blown fuses for steering lights and fuel injection system?
I checked the fuse box. There is no fuse that I can see for steering wheel lights.
Old 12-01-19, 11:07 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Battery Replacment

Lots of weird things happen when you disconnect the battery. My last Lexus was an IS. And the doors wouldn't lock after battery replacement or disconnect.

Also on my last maintenance visit they redid my transmission software. I didn't notice it till I drove the car at night. But all the inside lights defaulted back to mid range. I had to turn up the dash lights. And make the navigation screen brighter
Old 12-02-19, 06:13 PM
torque81
Rookie

Gave the car to the dealer in the morning. The service advisor was also stumped at engine's behavior although as always at first he denied anything was wrong. We drove another RX350 FSport with almost similar mileage and the revs on that were rock steady. What is surprising is that there are no error or messages being thrown up on the dashboard. Keeping my fingers crossed. My first experience with Lexus hasnt been a good one so far.

Last edited by torque81; 12-02-19 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-03-19, 01:21 PM
torque81
Rookie

They still havent been able to figure it out. The mechanic said that he will look at the whole wiring diagram to work out what the issue is. I am been given a loaner car which an IS 300. On seconds thoughts, I am missing my Infiniti Q50 which is traded in for the RX. Infiniti's are really underrated over here in Australia.
Old 12-05-19, 11:34 AM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Lighting

Looked all through my Owners Manual. Didn't find anything

How do you turn up the steering wheel lights on a 2016?
Old 12-05-19, 12:12 PM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISFWes
Looked all through my Owners Manual. Didn't find anything

How do you turn up the steering wheel lights on a 2016?
On my 17, the the steering wheel light brightness can be controlled with the switches behind the left side of the steering wheel, on the dash, by the ODO switch.

This did not work on my 16, and I could not control the steering wheel lights. Interested to see if you can increase/decrease brightness on your 16 with the switches behind the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Uneven idle & no illumination on the steering wheel buttons after battery replacement