RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

CPO 2016 RX350 - Good Deal? - Houston Area.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 09:32 AM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO 2016 RX350 - Good Deal? - Houston Area.

I need to purchase a car by year end and really have been liking the 2016 RX 350 as a contender. Currently down in Houston and drive only about 7500-10000 miles max a year so this car wouldnt get a major workout so not sure I would get full use of CPO. It seems like a lot of vehicles here are CPO but a few had minor accidents on them but had True360 reports that looked good. Could you guys let me know your thoughts and what would be reasonable to try and get each for price wise? A lot of what I have seen have been overpriced but these seemed reasonable. My other thought would be Carmax + 5 year Maxcare plan.

We have a Merc and I can't stand the maintenance on them and German cars but I could save like $3-4k on an Older 2016 Q5 + Carmax Maxcare.

Rx350 Options - Dealer
CPO 2016 #1 - No Accident - $31995
CaxFax - Clean

CPO 2016 #2 - Accident - $31995
Carfax - Clean/Accident

Non CPO 2016 -#3 - $30,995
CaxFax - Clean

CPO 2016 - FSport - $33,995
Carfax - Accident

Last edited by ColonelTrt; 12-10-19 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 10:03 PM
Cropdustef
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ColonelTrt
I need to purchase a car by year end and really have been liking the 2016 RX 350 as a contender. Currently down in Houston and drive only about 7500-10000 miles max a year so this car wouldnt get a major workout so not sure I would get full use of CPO. It seems like a lot of vehicles here are CPO but a few had minor accidents on them but had True360 reports that looked good. Could you guys let me know your thoughts and what would be reasonable to try and get each for price wise? A lot of what I have seen have been overpriced but these seemed reasonable. My other thought would be Carmax + 5 year Maxcare plan.

We have a Merc and I can't stand the maintenance on them and German cars but I could save like $3-4k on an Older 2016 Q5 + Carmax Maxcare.

Rx350 Options - Dealer
CaxFax - Clean

Carfax - Clean/Accident

CaxFax - Clean

Carfax - Accident
I'd go for the lowest mileage, lowest priced of them all. Doubtful CPO is worthwhile for you.
Old 12-10-19, 11:14 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep checking Carmax. If you find one out of state have it shipped to the Carmax location near you. When I was shopping I noticed florida had the lowest price for the vehicle I was looking for. I wanted the RX with the luxury package and all the bells and whistles. I personally don’t think CPO is worth the extra cost. Plus I’ve found non CPO cars at other dealers in better condition than those sold by a Lexus dealer.
Old 12-11-19, 02:19 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Keep checking Carmax. If you find one out of state have it shipped to the Carmax location near you. When I was shopping I noticed florida had the lowest price for the vehicle I was looking for. I wanted the RX with the luxury package and all the bells and whistles. I personally don’t think CPO is worth the extra cost. Plus I’ve found non CPO cars at other dealers in better condition than those sold by a Lexus dealer.
This is spot on. We bought my wife's 2016 ES 350 from Carmax after scouring local dealers. They had the best price, lowest mileage, zero hassle experience.
Bought my 2016 from a Toyota dealership that had replaced the brakes, tires and done an oil change plus included an extended warranty for a tough to beat price.

Last edited by Cropdustef; 12-11-19 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-11-19, 06:45 AM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking at CarMax but these seemed comparable especially the fsports. It also will cost a minimum of $400 to $700 to ship it in from CarMax. Unfortunately the one in Houston is priced a lot higher because they sell so quickly

I like the cpo#2 I listed and if I could get it $1000 lower I might be game. What pricing would you guys go in at for these cars?

Last edited by ColonelTrt; 12-11-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-11-19, 11:43 PM
Cropdustef
Driver

I've been looking at CarMax but these seemed comparable especially the fsports. It also will cost a minimum of $400 to $700 to ship it in from CarMax. Unfortunately the one in Houston is priced a lot higher because they sell so quickly

I like the cpo#2 I listed and if I could get it $1000 lower I might be game. What pricing would you guys go in at for these cars?
The market dictates the price... plus other variables....how long has it been on the dealerships lot, etc..
Go in $2000 lower and include some extras. Do it on the last day of the month. You'll likely get your $1000 off.
Old 12-12-19, 12:22 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Have you looked into the Lexus GS?
Old 12-12-19, 07:27 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Rx350 Options - Dealer
CaxFax - Clean

Carfax - Clean/Accident

CaxFax - Clean

Carfax - Accident
For me, it's #1. I'd avoid the accident cars straight away unless the discount is deep, just because you never know who did the repair and carfax is a poor indicator of the extent of the damage. Unless the dealership can tell you exactly what happened. Then again, if things appear to be good you can always use that to your advantage in a negotiation. The CPO might be the pick in that case just for the extra warranty protection.

I bought a 2016 RX 450h as a CPO last Feb. So check into the details of the CPO to see if it covers service too. Mine did, so not only did I get +2 years on the warranty I got 2 years of free maintenance which so far has covered the 25k and 30k services. The "5k" intervals are just inspections and tire rotations, but the 30k replaces the filters and brake fluid flush in addition to the oil change. Saved me $580. I'll also get the 35k and 40k's paid for.

As for the prices, whenever I see price consistency like that I more or less assume you are seeing market rates for that car in your area. Others from Houston will have to comment, because regionally the prices for an RX will differ. They screw you over here in Seattle because the RX is wildly popular and is a near perfect fit for the region. So it's difficult to compare.
Old 12-12-19, 03:41 PM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

delete delete

Last edited by ColonelTrt; 12-13-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-14-19, 08:53 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Op did you purchase your car yet?
Old 12-14-19, 09:44 PM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Op did you purchase your car yet?
Not yet. The CPO sold. Going to see what else pops up.

I saw a really nice CarMax one that I would have to ship in but I think someone had a cat in the car as in the walk around the leather trim by the driver side window had some claw marks. They won't fix them but will the other two issues shown in photos
Would be about 32000 including Tax/tag + $549 shipping + $1350 5 yr 75k warranty = $33900. Thoughts?
https://www.carmax.com/car/18198025

Looks like claw marks

They will buff out

They said they will fix

Last edited by ColonelTrt; 12-14-19 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-15-19, 09:11 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

That car would put me on the fence a bit just because of the damage. But you've seen it up close, if you like it and the holes don't bother you, I'm sure that would be a good car. It's an RX after all.

I guess if that were me, and I'm not in a hurry, I'd wait. Inventory will come up all the time - every month lease returns will come on the market and you're going to have choices that will be cleaner. Also I'll speculate this one may sit a while because of the damage, if you let it age they may be more willing to drop the price. I would be a bit hesitant to spend $32k on a car with holes in the leather unless I had an estimate for getting it fixed. Even if they did fix the other two issues, all these things kind-of add up to a prior owner that maybe didn't take very good care of their car (meaning what else is there that I can't see). Looks like the car was owned in NY, and I know the weather is hard on cars out there.

I might be inclined to spend $100 and have a mechanic inspect it just in case. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-15-19, 09:48 AM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1Louder
That car would put me on the fence a bit just because of the damage. But you've seen it up close, if you like it and the holes don't bother you, I'm sure that would be a good car. It's an RX after all.

I guess if that were me, and I'm not in a hurry, I'd wait. Inventory will come up all the time - every month lease returns will come on the market and you're going to have choices that will be cleaner. Also I'll speculate this one may sit a while because of the damage, if you let it age they may be more willing to drop the price. I would be a bit hesitant to spend $32k on a car with holes in the leather unless I had an estimate for getting it fixed. Even if they did fix the other two issues, all these things kind-of add up to a prior owner that maybe didn't take very good care of their car (meaning what else is there that I can't see). Looks like the car was owned in NY, and I know the weather is hard on cars out there.

I might be inclined to spend $100 and have a mechanic inspect it just in case. Just my 2 cents.
​​​​​I I actually didn't take those pictures. I would have to have the car transferred for $550 to my local one but before they transfer they take pictures at the dealer before shipping. those are the photos they provided at which point they then put me in touch with the local CarMax to see if they could fix any of those. They could buff out the scratches and fix the dent but said it would be too expensive to fix the leather
Old 12-15-19, 10:05 AM
Cropdustef
Driver

Originally Posted by 1Louder

I agree here. I found a 2016 with 25K...a lease return, but at a Toyota dealership. It had been sitting on their lot for 45 days. I figure someone coming into a Toy dealership and is going to spend $29-$35K for a vehicle, they would likely go for a new Highlander vs an off lease Lexus. I was searching Carmax too. Carmax was consistently $2000-$3000 higher for comparable RXs. I strolled in on 10/31...Halloween and got mine for $32K. They were asking $34K+ and had lowered the price 1-2 times by a few hundred. I got them to fix a small dent on the passenger side door and include an add 4yrar/100K warranty which they wanted $1800 for.
Mines is Silver Lining Metallic... Which was not my first choice, but I'm not that picky about color.

Point is... you can get a decent deal but no one is selling $30-$35K car for $28-$29K....unless there's an issue.
Most dealerships want to bulk their numbers at months end... I've found that to be fact.
Old 12-15-19, 12:59 PM
ColonelTrt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cropdustef
I agree here. I found a 2016 with 25K...a lease return, but at a Toyota dealership. It had been sitting on their lot for 45 days. I figure someone coming into a Toy dealership and is going to spend $29-$35K for a vehicle, they would likely go for a new Highlander vs an off lease Lexus. I was searching Carmax too. Carmax was consistently $2000-$3000 higher for comparable RXs. I strolled in on 10/31...Halloween and got mine for $32K. They were asking $34K+ and had lowered the price 1-2 times by a few hundred. I got them to fix a small dent on the passenger side door and include an add 4yrar/100K warranty which they wanted $1800 for.
Mines is Silver Lining Metallic... Which was not my first choice, but I'm not that picky about color.

Point is... you can get a decent deal but no one is selling $30-$35K car for $28-$29K....unless there's an issue.
Most dealerships want to bulk their numbers at months end... I've found that to be fact.
Going to continue to look. The CPOs locally available right now are way overpriced

Quick Reply: CPO 2016 RX350 - Good Deal? - Houston Area.