RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Does it matter if a car is not certified pre owned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19 | 06:11 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roxy208
I just traded in my 16 a couple of weeks. Ago. It had had minor damage when someone backed into it in a parking lot. Damage was reported and fixed by my insurance since I never saw the other driver.
it sold in 4 days as a CPO. For 34000.
Yup, even CPO isn’t guaranteed to be accident free. If there are no reported accidents to car fax and the damage is minor and not noticeable, it will be sold as CPO. Did you get the 2020?

Last edited by DMPesso; 12-30-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-30-19 | 08:19 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lapisa22
I am in the market for a 2017 RX and found one I liked at a Lexus dealership near me. It is one if the few that is not "lexus certified". The saleswoman told me that the reason it isn't certified is because of the low miles (24k) which sounds like a load of BS but I don't know much about this. Seems pricey at $35.5k but appears to be in great condition. The only other one I liked was certified but smelled awful and was 38k miles. She said we could buy an extended warranty which I have never bought but now wonder about since this thing is essentially a computer. My current car doesn't even have auto lights😂 Wondered what this community thinks about non lexus certified pre owned. Is it a red flag that it is one of the few non certified ones in the lot?
CPO is an extended warranty product direct from the dealer backed by Lexus. It does not absolve a buyers due diligence or the sellers ability to screw you over lol

1) Lexus lists multiple factors of what it takes to get a vehicle CPOed....the reality is that its a bunch of grey area where you as the buyer have no say or witness to said checklists.
2) Accident vehicles CAN BE CPOed.
3) Mileage limits dont exist. Vehicles over 60k and under 10 miles can be seen CPOd

Advise on this particular model and ANY used/CPO vehicle:

1) get a on post lift pre purchase inspection at the dealer or at a 3rd part inspection
2) register on lexus drivers for the vehicles, and see what was done and what wasnt
3) Paint meter, detect for any repainted surfaces
The following users liked this post:
mask0425x (01-01-20)
Old 12-30-19 | 08:34 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Yup, even CPO isn’t guaranteed to be accident free. If there are no reported accidents to car fax and the damage is minor and not noticeable, it will be sold as CPO. Did you get the 2020?
yes. Loving it!
Old 12-30-19 | 10:02 AM
riredale
Instructor

Extended warranties are almost never a good idea from a dollars and cents viewpoint. They are offered because they are highly lucrative for the company. Usually the sort of person who signs up is either (a) extremely risk-averse, or (b) stretched so thin that a $3K major repair would be tough to pay. Which brings up the point that perhaps the person shouldn't be driving such a pricey car until he/she has built up their reserves a bit.
Old 12-30-19 | 10:07 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riredale
Extended warranties are almost never a good idea from a dollars and cents viewpoint. They are offered because they are extremely lucrative for the company. Usually the sort of person who signs up is either (a) extremely risk-averse, or (b) stretched so thin that a $3K major repair would be tough to pay. Which brings up the point that perhaps the person shouldn't be driving such a pricey car until he/she has built up their reserves a bit.
Extended warranties work for those who do their research.

1) Who is the underwriter and what is their track record?
2) What items are covered and what items are not based on the contract (not the brochure or sales rep that folks love to base their ideas on)?
3) Who determines if an item is covered? For instance CarMax warranties were highly publicized and praised in the media, however now days alot of dealerships, who have to work with the warranty make it a hassle to work with if you intend on using a CarMax warranty citing a tedious and long process that they rather avoid.

mask0425x (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20 | 07:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
CPO is an extended warranty product direct from the dealer backed by Lexus. It does not absolve a buyers due diligence or the sellers ability to screw you over lol
Actually it's the other way around! It is a Lexus corporate venue to sell mainly lease returns. Lexus corporate set the protocol and the dealers have to comply or be subject to penalties.
There are different reasons why a vehicle may not qualify for CPO and I also know that "some" dealers affix CPO to a car just to get more money, this should be reported to Lexus corporate as it besmirches the whole CPO program.
Old 01-01-20 | 07:59 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cocal
Actually it's the other way around! It is a Lexus corporate venue to sell mainly lease returns. Lexus corporate set the protocol and the dealers have to comply or be subject to penalties.
There are different reasons why a vehicle may not qualify for CPO and I also know that "some" dealers affix CPO to a car just to get more money, this should be reported to Lexus corporate as it besmirches the whole CPO program.
I dont know whats the other way around part is, but the idea here is folks stop thinking logically when they see CPO next to a used vehicle.

CPO=new car
Nope not how it works. Lexus however could care less, as the CPO product moves alot of units, and as you said lease returns from LFS stock
Cocal (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20 | 08:04 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I dont know whats the other way around part is, but the idea here is folks stop thinking logically when they see CPO next to a used vehicle.
CPO=new car
Nope not how it works. Lexus however could care less, as the CPO product moves alot of units, and as you said lease returns from LFS stock
I meant that the warranty is not from the dealer, but from Lexus at least ths is how it is here in Canada, I can't think it would be different in the US
Old 01-01-20 | 08:07 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cocal
I meant that the warranty is not from the dealer, but from Lexus at least ths is how it is here in Canada, I can't think it would be different in the US
Same here. In my original post, I was referring to the fact the CPO product is distributed by the selling dealer (they do all the checklists etc) but ultimately the product is Lexus corp backed, they "underwrite" the warranty, unlike say XYZ extended warranty underwritten by "ABC company"
Cocal (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20 | 09:58 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

I am in the market for a 2017 RX and found one I liked at a Lexus dealership near me. It is one if the few that is not "lexus certified". The saleswoman told me that the reason it isn't certified is because of the low miles (24k) which sounds like a load of BS but I don't know much about this. Seems pricey at $35.5k but appears to be in great condition. The only other one I liked was certified but smelled awful and was 38k miles. She said we could buy an extended warranty which I have never bought but now wonder about since this thing is essentially a computer. My current car doesn't even have auto lights😂 Wondered what this community thinks about non lexus certified pre owned. Is it a red flag that it is one of the few non certified ones in the lot?
What was the original delivery date? You have 4 years or 48,000 miles of warranty from the original delivery date. You could possibly wait till later to buy an extended warranty, I would also check the Carfax to make sure it has not been in a major collision.
Old 01-01-20 | 10:22 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Maybe it had some "body damage and repair"? Look at the official "requirements" per Lexus website for an L certified CPO. I'll bet there was a reason or reasons why they can not "certify it". I think as far as "extended warranty" goes........ "L certified CPO" (unlimited mileage for 6 years from date of first put in use) is better vs "Lexus extended warranty". There is more than one level of "Lexus extended warranty", platinum vs ?? (all with $100 deductible per incident UNLESS work is done at the "selling Lexus dealership" and some predetermined mileage limitation.)

OR maybe that RX has some hidden damage or wear that will cost too much to restore to "factory like new condition"????

Originally Posted by rxtimes2
Both of my RXs were certified. One at about 7k miles, and the other at about 13K miles. The dealers make good money on CPO cars, and I would guess they would certify the car if they could. It could be that they don’t have the service records. I don’t believe the mileage claim at all. I would be very careful on this prospective deal.
Old 01-01-20 | 10:28 AM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

My Lexus dealership told me that they have to pay Lexus $1200 to CPO a vehicle. The dealership then marks up the sticker price $2000. They gave me the option on a very low mileage 3-year old RX to CPO it if I wanted to. (It was not CPO'd at that point.) I passed on doing that. It was my third low mileage 3-year old RX and I've never had a issue with any of them. Bob
Old 01-01-20 | 10:42 AM
Hrocks
Pit Crew

While one car smells awful, the car that doesn't actually stink, smells awfully fishy to me. Either she doesn't know what she's talking about, or there's a "story" behind this particular car.

A number of years ago before my first Lexus, I was considering one of the Audi S model SUV's. The particular store had about 3-4 of the same base units, but the "S" model was priced on par with the other base models and seemed like screaming deal. Fortunately, the GM was a guy that I had done business with previously at a Cadillac/GMC dealership. He told me that I didn't want that car, even though it had very low miles. Turns out, it had been severely wrecked during a test drive. Because it was a high priced, current model year vehicle, even though it had something like $30,000 worth of damage, it was not totaled. Because it was repaired in an Audi certified body shop, it was considered new. I realize this is not likely the scenario on the particular vehicle that you're considering, nonetheless I would tread very carefully. BTW, there a ZILLION RX 350's that are L Certified. IMO, I would keep looking. Happy hunting!
The following 2 users liked this post by Hrocks:
jebrx350 (01-01-20), mask0425x (01-01-20)
Old 01-01-20 | 10:43 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldsig
My Lexus dealership told me that they have to pay Lexus $1200 to CPO a vehicle. The dealership then marks up the sticker price $2000. They gave me the option on a very low mileage 3-year old RX to CPO it if I wanted to. (It was not CPO'd at that point.) I passed on doing that. It was my third low mileage 3-year old RX and I've never had a issue with any of them. Bob
Complete CRAP! The vehicle has 1st to meet the requirements for a CPO candidate and only once those requirements are met, does it go through the CPO exam and if passing, the CPO certification. Otherwise it doesn't make financial sense for Lexus or the dealer. The dealer may sell you a CPO candidate less the CPO certification for about $2,000 less as it didn't have to go through the expense of the exam and the additional warranty liability.

Last edited by Cocal; 01-01-20 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-01-20 | 12:01 PM
Claricemac
Driver School Candidate

Default Not sure

I don’t know if the certification matters or not but but the extended warranty? You are correct it is all computerized my entire dash is stuck in a reboot mode and nothing works. From what I’ve read it is a $2,000 issue. Considering just trading it in for something newer since it’s a 2014 anyways.

Quick Reply: Does it matter if a car is not certified pre owned?