RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Does it matter if a car is not certified pre owned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-19 | 12:30 PM
Lapisa22
Driver School Candidate

Default Does it matter if a car is not certified pre owned?

I am in the market for a 2017 RX and found one I liked at a Lexus dealership near me. It is one if the few that is not "lexus certified". The saleswoman told me that the reason it isn't certified is because of the low miles (24k) which sounds like a load of BS but I don't know much about this. Seems pricey at $35.5k but appears to be in great condition. The only other one I liked was certified but smelled awful and was 38k miles. She said we could buy an extended warranty which I have never bought but now wonder about since this thing is essentially a computer. My current car doesn't even have auto lights😂 Wondered what this community thinks about non lexus certified pre owned. Is it a red flag that it is one of the few non certified ones in the lot?
Old 12-28-19 | 01:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure why some get certified and others not. We have a 17 we bought new and its been flawless for 40k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Lapisa22 (12-28-19)
Old 12-28-19 | 01:30 PM
Lapisa22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Not sure why some get certified and others not. We have a 17 we bought new and its been flawless for 40k miles.
that's good to know! our dealer said 17 was the best deal, pretty much the same as the 2020 just without apple/android car pay. Did you get an extended warranty? I have a 2005 Altima that has been a dream but no tech. Would have been crazy to buy a warranty on this but don't know if the high tech warrants getting a warranty
Old 12-28-19 | 02:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lapisa22
that's good to know! our dealer said 17 was the best deal, pretty much the same as the 2020 just without apple/android car pay. Did you get an extended warranty? I have a 2005 Altima that has been a dream but no tech. Would have been crazy to buy a warranty on this but don't know if the high tech warrants getting a warranty
I NEVER purchase extended warranties.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Lapisa22 (12-28-19), Slysnell (01-05-20)
Old 12-28-19 | 06:06 PM
RXRunner
Rookie

Our 2016 was a CPO with 26K miles on it. Interesting why the 2017 is not certified. Our first Lexus was a 2010 RX350 we bought as a CPO with 17K miles on it and was 3 years old.
Old 12-28-19 | 06:30 PM
DZhao
Driver School Candidate

My 2017 f sport was certified and only 22k miles.
Old 12-28-19 | 07:59 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

I am in the market for a 2017 RX and found one I liked at a Lexus dealership near me. It is one if the few that is not "lexus certified". The saleswoman told me that the reason it isn't certified is because of the low miles (24k) which sounds like a load of BS but I don't know much about this. Seems pricey at $35.5k but appears to be in great condition. The only other one I liked was certified but smelled awful and was 38k miles. She said we could buy an extended warranty which I have never bought but now wonder about since this thing is essentially a computer. My current car doesn't even have auto lights😂 Wondered what this community thinks about non lexus certified pre owned. Is it a red flag that it is one of the few non certified ones in the lot?
I was told a CPO has had regular Lexus service and the non CPO doesn’t have a Lexus service record.
Don’t know how true. Just hearsay.
Old 12-28-19 | 11:22 PM
Lapisa22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roxy208
I was told a CPO has had regular Lexus service and the non CPO doesn’t have a Lexus service record.
Don’t know how true. Just hearsay.
interesting. I wonder if that is why. We can't figure it out! Seems so odd but the only two models under 30k miles were not lexus certified so I am tempted to believe her. I don't know how much it matter since it still has a couple years and a lot of miles left on the factory warranty.
Old 12-29-19 | 02:45 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

interesting. I wonder if that is why. We can't figure it out! Seems so odd but the only two models under 30k miles were not lexus certified so I am tempted to believe her. I don't know how much it matter since it still has a couple years and a lot of miles left on the factory warranty.
Both of my RXs were certified. One at about 7k miles, and the other at about 13K miles. The dealers make good money on CPO cars, and I would guess they would certify the car if they could. It could be that they don’t have the service records. I don’t believe the mileage claim at all. I would be very careful on this prospective deal.
Old 12-29-19 | 03:31 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

A more likely scenario might be that they paid too much for the trade and since it’s already pricey the cost they would add to CPO it would make it further out of line. CPO’ing a vehicle is a money maker for the dealerships if they can pass that cost along to the buyer. But, if the vehicle is already top heavy the chance of getting their money back fades!
The following users liked this post:
mask0425x (01-01-20)
Old 12-29-19 | 03:46 AM
JSracer
Instructor

not sure the value when the options get older, but new you can add about 20k worth of options to an RX,

the non cpo could be lacking dealer records, that wouldn't equate to lacking maintenance, just they can't follow the paper trail.

Last edited by JSracer; 12-29-19 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-29-19 | 03:38 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Usually, if a Lexus dealer doesn’t certify the car it’s because they found something that prevented it from being certified and passing the inspection. Most likely a minor accident.
The following 2 users liked this post by DMPesso:
Cocal (01-01-20), supersonic (01-01-20)
Old 12-29-19 | 05:47 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Usually, if a Lexus dealer doesn’t certify the car it’s because they found something that prevented it from being certified and passing the inspection. Most likely a minor accident.
That's a good point(accident). Not being certified because the mileage is too low? Baloney! I'd pass on it.
Old 12-29-19 | 06:02 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ravenuer
That's a good point(accident). Not being certified because the mileage is too low? Baloney! I'd pass on it.
for real, the fact she even gave that reason for why it’s not CPO would make me go to another dealer. That’s clearly a lie which shows she’s hiding something and can’t be trusted. I could almost guarantee the car had an accident or some type of body work.
Old 12-30-19 | 05:22 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DMPesso
I just traded in my 16 a couple of weeks. Ago. It had had minor damage when someone backed into it in a parking lot. Damage was reported and fixed by my insurance since I never saw the other driver.
it sold in 4 days as a CPO. For 34000.

Quick Reply: Does it matter if a car is not certified pre owned?