RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Multi-Shield Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19 | 12:00 PM
glock19
Driver School Candidate

Default Multi-Shield Protection

Just purchased a 2020 model and of course during the pre-delivery paperwork was offered all the dealer optional warranty packages. I always pass on all these things feeling they are big time money makers for the dealer, and usually a losing deal for the buyer.

The one thing that got my attention was the Multi-Shield Protection at a cost of $1600 for 5 years of coverage. It covers several things like door dent repair, key replacement, insurance deductible reimbursement. However the thing that got my attention was the windshield repair/replacement. The "sales story" was that regular insurance company replacement would not pay for a Lexus OEM windshield that costs about $2500 that is supposed to be of higher quality than a third party glass such as Safelite. Supposedly, the third party glass is thinner and more likely to leak and produce wind noise.

Also, I was told on windshield replacement, cameras and other sensors (safety components and cruise control) would have to be re-calibrated at a cost of $500.

I have broken a few windshields in my life but not many. Am I being fed a line of bull on these costs to replace a Lexus windshield?? Has anyone considered this insurance package??

Old 12-31-19 | 05:07 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by glock19
Just purchased a 2020 model and of course during the pre-delivery paperwork was offered all the dealer optional warranty packages. I always pass on all these things feeling they are big time money makers for the dealer, and usually a losing deal for the buyer.

The one thing that got my attention was the Multi-Shield Protection at a cost of $1600 for 5 years of coverage. It covers several things like door dent repair, key replacement, insurance deductible reimbursement. However the thing that got my attention was the windshield repair/replacement. The "sales story" was that regular insurance company replacement would not pay for a Lexus OEM windshield that costs about $2500 that is supposed to be of higher quality than a third party glass such as Safelite. Supposedly, the third party glass is thinner and more likely to leak and produce wind noise.

Also, I was told on windshield replacement, cameras and other sensors (safety components and cruise control) would have to be re-calibrated at a cost of $500.

I have broken a few windshields in my life but not many. Am I being fed a line of bull on these costs to replace a Lexus windshield?? Has anyone considered this insurance package??
I purchased another package at the managers office for $950 that covers windshield repairs and oem replacement, wheel repair or replacement, and painless dent repairs.

​​​​​​Covers 5 years. The original price was 1750 but I negotiated down to $950.
Old 01-01-20 | 03:28 AM
JSracer
Instructor

my auto insurance paid 100% for a lexus oe glass windshield replacement including the calibration process. it cost me ZERO out of pocket.
I did not purchase any dealer packages
​​​​

Last edited by JSracer; 01-01-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-01-20 | 11:36 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by glock19
Many insurance companies pay for OEM glass in full. Mine does. Call your company and ask before you sign anything.
Old 01-01-20 | 08:48 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Many insurance companies pay for OEM glass in full. Mine does. Call your company and ask before you sign anything.
My insurance, Nationwide, did not cover OEM windshield replacement, even when I had OEM parts coverage for over two years. There was a rider that indicated that many parts with third party sourcing are not covered: any glass, tires, electronics, etc. It really made me question what exactly did it cover...

They even had the audacity to tell me on a newer car, that OEM coverage included everything. I had to read them their own rider and ask why pay for OEM coverage when there were so many broad exclusions...

Read all riders, before agreeing to pay for additional coverage.
Old 01-02-20 | 04:00 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
My insurance, Nationwide, did not cover OEM windshield replacement, even when I had OEM parts coverage for over two years. There was a rider that indicated that many parts with third party sourcing are not covered: any glass, tires, electronics, etc. It really made me question what exactly did it cover...

They even had the audacity to tell me on a newer car, that OEM coverage included everything. I had to read them their own rider and ask why pay for OEM coverage when there were so many broad exclusions...

Read all riders, before agreeing to pay for additional coverage.
strange, as i posted above, zero issues with mine, no rider or extra lexus crap, OE lexus glass replaced including calibration and was Zero out of pocket.

Old 01-02-20 | 06:23 AM
golferjack
Advanced

I cannot say what real difference there is between a Rav and RX windshield, but our Rav had to have the windshield replaced. The Rav was so new, that they did not know that hybrid windshield was different than the ICE models. They removed the broken windshield and found that the Rav needed a different windshield. They put the broken one back in and ordered the correct one. The company that did the install was somehow connected with the dealer as the "official" Toyota windshield facility. I mention all this because the camera never had to be calibrated. I was worried about the camera as the Rav has all the safety features of the Rx. I watched they camera and mirror reinstalled each time, and to me it was very straight forward and just slid into a slot/shelf. I did ask the installer if he had to calibrate the camera, and he said that they have never had to do a calibration. He said that they installed windshields for most all the dealerships in Denver. The camera and the safety features work perfect.