RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus rx350 f sport engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 06:30 PM
Allday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus rx350 f sport engine ticking noise

Recently I have noticed abnormal sound coming from the engine after driving. My car is 4th generation 2016 rx350 f sport. I know what the direct fuel injection sounds like but I don’t think this sound is normal. Please use the below link to watch my video and tell me what you think about this, thanks!

Last edited by Allday; 01-07-20 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 09:10 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't really hear it from your video. Could you pop the hood and record where it's coming from? What is the mileage of your vehicle?

My 2016 Rx Fsport also has a ticking sound from the engine. I brought it in, and they said it was due to the mechanics of the fuel pump and that it was completely normal. It's pretty loud. However, I have not had the opportunity to compare it with another 2016 Rx FSport.

I did get a 2019 IS from the dealer with 3000km on it as a service loaner recently. The 2019 also had a ticking sound, and the ticking sound was much more distinct and much louder.
The following users liked this post:
Allday (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 10:42 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

I bought a new 2015 RX 350 F-Sport and it was pretty quiet. That 3.5 L engine was 250 hp. For Gen 4 they squeezed more hp out of the 3.5 L engine. Your 2016 spec says it is 295 hp, which is the same as my 2018, and this is out of the same 3.5 L engine. The 2018 is noticeably noisier than my 2015 was. More mechanical clicking and ticking, at idle, especially when I am outside the car. I can't hear your video, but if you don't trust your regular dealer to inspect it, take it to another one for a second opinion. I think it's just a noisier/less sound-proofed engine.
Allday (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 11:05 AM
Allday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Can't really hear it from your video. Could you pop the hood and record where it's coming from? What is the mileage of your vehicle?

My 2016 Rx Fsport also has a ticking sound from the engine. I brought it in, and they said it was due to the mechanics of the fuel pump and that it was completely normal. It's pretty loud. However, I have not had the opportunity to compare it with another 2016 Rx FSport.

I did get a 2019 IS from the dealer with 3000km on it as a service loaner recently. The 2019 also had a ticking sound, and the ticking sound was much more distinct and much louder.

Thanks for the reply,
First of all, I have to correct myself. I hear not a ticking sound but the abnormal sounds from the engine. My car's mileage is about 35k.
There are no abnormal sounds from the engine during warming up or while I was driving. I only hear it after long drive on the highway (you can hear it in 15 seconds after start of my video). I don't care the ticking sound that I can hear when I open the hood as I understand what the DI engine sounds like and I know that the ticking sound is normal with it. But with this abnormal sounds, I feel like I have to hop out before my car gets warmed up fully!!
Old 01-04-20, 06:48 PM
satek
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has this same sound too! I think it's very unrefined for a Lexus. Hoping to find out what this is as well.
Allday (01-05-20)
Old 01-04-20, 06:55 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just listened to your video again.

i now hear the sound at 15 seconds - where is the sound originating from? Mine does not do that.
Allday (01-05-20)
Old 01-06-20, 06:23 PM
Allday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I just listened to your video again.

i now hear the sound at 15 seconds - where is the sound originating from? Mine does not do that.
it probably comes from the engine. I will be bringing my car to the lexus service center and checking it with tech. I hope that tech can find out the point where causes that sound.
Old 01-07-20, 04:56 AM
Allday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by satek
My car has this same sound too! I think it's very unrefined for a Lexus. Hoping to find out what this is as well.
Did you bring your car to the dealer shop and let tech hear?
Old 01-07-20, 11:30 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 178 Likes on 149 Posts

If your talking about that chirping noise which I think is what it sounds like, mine did that as well and they had to replace the fuel pump there was a TSB: L-SB-0008-18
Old 07-03-23, 10:51 PM
Nicholasypz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Startup Fuel Odor HPFP Warranty Enhancement Program

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a 2020 RX350 F-Sport and a 2020 IS300.

Got this letter in May for the RX, it talks about how fuel odor can get into the cabin through vents when they are in air intake mode. I was wondering if anyone had their high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) replaced by the dealership, and did it help with the fuel odor?

The car only has about 12,000 miles. I started noticing the raw gasoline smell last winter, strongest when i need to reverse out of the garage and realize that i forgot something from home, put the car back into park, the second i open that door, raw gas smell is just so overwhelming. Over the past couple of months, I have learnt to start the car with all windows closed and turing off all the air-conditioning system leaving the car in recirculation.

However, my is300 has the same fuel smell after startup but just not as strong. i have always thought it was a normal thing as the cat needs time to warm up and i use premium gas which has a higher ignition threshold than regular. The smell is gone completely after the engine is fully warmed up, the exhaust wouldnt smell at all when i had a friend rev the engine to 5k, and me standing close to the exhaust.

But after receiving the letter and bringing car to the dealership, they apperarantly saw fuel residue on top of the pump as per TSB L-TCI-5631? Took them only 20 or so minutes to check, I was under the impression that the intake manifold needs to removed in order to see the HPFP, but maybe there is a quicker way to check. Anyways, I thought that tsb would be available online somewhere, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Was also told that the part that they are going to replace with has improved. One thing I noticed on my own is that the intake hose has quite a bit of coloured dust buildup that appears to be orange or red in color, ran my finger over it, smells like rotten eggs, could this be after math of gas seeping out from the hpfp given that they are in close proximity of each other.

Found some complaints on the Tacoma forums that some people regret of getting it replaced under a different tsb noise related of the pump. Some had leaks and had to get it replaced again, some had other engine leak issues and blame the cause to be the new HPFP.

I understand that older tsb such as L-SB-0008-18 covers 2016 and 2017 rx350 for noise related issues of the fuel pump, was wondering if anyone had good experiences or issues with dealership replacing the high pressure fuel pump on their cars.
Old 07-04-23, 07:38 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Is this problem with the high pressure fuel pump just in Canada? Did anyone in the United States get this letter? I didn't.
Old 07-04-23, 10:19 AM
Nicholasypz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcg0324
Is this problem with the high pressure fuel pump just in Canada? Did anyone in the United States get this letter? I didn't.
it made mentions of this issue can cause the evaporative emissions to exceed the standard. Maybe such standard is higher in Canada?

If thats the case, Funny how the province I am in doesn't require smog checks whatsoever.