RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2020 HandsFree Mic won't work when using Thumb Drive in USB

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 09:28 AM
kiwilinkj
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2020 HandsFree Mic won't work when using Thumb Drive in USB

Called Lexus Corporate twice and no one can tell me why the hands free button (mic) will not work when a thumb drive/memory stick with Music on it is plugged into the USB port in the center console. When I push the talk button a red circle with a slash thru it appears and it says wait for the beep and it stays like this. Can;t use the button for anything. When I pull the thumb drive out and restart the car, the talk button works again. When the thumb drive is in it will play the music. I pulled out the thumb drive and plugged in a external USB hard drive with Music on it and it will index and display the music and play it but the same thing happens.

Lexus told me the "Browse My Music" command I see when I push the talk button is for USB attached music and I believe them because when I press the button without anything plugged into the USB port, she says "there is no source in the USB device).

Does anyone have a 2020 that can try this out and let me know if your Hands Free talk button becomes disabled when you plug a drive into the USB port? (I have a ML sound system but I don't think this matters with this issue).

Thanks!!
Old 07-31-20, 12:59 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it formatted FAT32?
Old 08-01-20, 03:02 PM
cmtexas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwilinkj
Called Lexus Corporate twice and no one can tell me why the hands free button (mic) will not work when a thumb drive/memory stick with Music on it is plugged into the USB port in the center console. When I push the talk button a red circle with a slash thru it appears and it says wait for the beep and it stays like this. Can;t use the button for anything. When I pull the thumb drive out and restart the car, the talk button works again. When the thumb drive is in it will play the music. I pulled out the thumb drive and plugged in a external USB hard drive with Music on it and it will index and display the music and play it but the same thing happens.

Lexus told me the "Browse My Music" command I see when I push the talk button is for USB attached music and I believe them because when I press the button without anything plugged into the USB port, she says "there is no source in the USB device).

Does anyone have a 2020 that can try this out and let me know if your Hands Free talk button becomes disabled when you plug a drive into the USB port? (I have a ML sound system but I don't think this matters with this issue).

Thanks!!
yes i have the same issue. infact i was wondering why my new car (just bought yesterday) wouldnt work with voice command and saw ur post and tried removing my usb drive and it worked. Let me know if u ever find a solution. i will do the same
Old 08-01-20, 03:03 PM
cmtexas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tarkus
Is it formatted FAT32?
yes my usb drive is FAT32 since i use mac at home. Does that matter?
Old 08-08-20, 08:31 AM
Kous350
Driver School Candidate

I have flash drive with music plugged into the top USB port in the console and have no issues with the hands free mic. My 2020 has the upgraded stereo, not tht ML.
Old 08-08-20, 10:01 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

I have 1 2020 with Mark Levinson, two usb sticks for music. One with .mp3's singles and the other with .flac albums. They are both plugged into the center storage box and the voice button works flawlessly. My only gripe with it is when you insert the usb stick for the first time you get a message saying it is gathering information. You never get a message when it's completed.
Old 08-09-20, 07:07 PM
cmtexas
Driver School Candidate

i tried in the first slot but didnt work. r urs usb key fat32? i am guessing that could be the issue?
Old 08-11-20, 05:38 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Yes. I do not own a mac so I cannot help any further.
Old 08-30-20, 09:48 AM
cmtexas
Driver School Candidate

Figured out the issue or atleast got it to work. I had 2 folders on the usb drive (old and new music). I switched to 1 folder and it is working now. not sure why or how that is related but my voice search is working now.
Old 09-04-20, 04:23 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kiwilinkj

Thanks!!
I have this exact same issue. It started 3 days ago. 2020 RX. Took out the USB drive and the microphone started to work again.
I will investigate naming conventions on the stick.

Thanks! It was driving me nuts! (Pun intended).

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-04-20 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 09-05-20, 06:32 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

OK. I was able to fix this issue by doing two things.

Scenario: I have two 128GB mini Sandisk USB sticks in the glove box. ($20.00 ea on Amazon. Insane prices.) The top one is for MP3's and the bottom one is for .flac. The problem did not appear with the top slot, though it may in the future. The top drive I only copied once to. The lower I copied and deleted files 5 or 6 times.

1) I copied and deleted numerous times to the lower usb slot full of .flac files. The microphone quit working several days ago. I found some artists had sub directories 3 levels deep. I worked it so that they are now 2 deep.

2) I ran a "Trim" function on the usb drive after step 1. (Google it).

Today the microphone functioned 10 times out of 10.
Always remember, YMMV.

Update: Today is 9/10. The microphone has worked 100% of the time since the above procedure. My hunch is that it was related to too many sub directory levels.

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-10-20 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Update