RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Fuel Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-20, 08:01 AM
lester123
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am scheduled to bring in my RX to Lexus of the Palm Beaches, FL on Monday morning. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas as recommended. Initially I was told it would take 4 hours to complete the recall. Yesterday I was told 2 hours. If only 2 hours I will wait.

What are you experiencing? Hearing? Will most dealers give a loaner or free rent a car?
Old 06-26-20, 10:23 AM
bzboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer said less than 1/3 tank of gas, repair would take all day, and they would give me a free loaner car for me to drive in the mean time.

My appt is on Tues
Old 06-26-20, 11:22 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by lester123
I am scheduled to bring in my RX to Lexus of the Palm Beaches, FL on Monday morning. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas as recommended. Initially I was told it would take 4 hours to complete the recall. Yesterday I was told 2 hours. If only 2 hours I will wait.

What are you experiencing? Hearing? Will most dealers give a loaner or free rent a car?
My dealer gives me a loaner for an oil change. I never wait there for anything.
Old 06-26-20, 12:06 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Treasure Coast Lexus did mine in a day, got a loaner.
Old 06-26-20, 03:42 PM
sueszo
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the recall done on my RX350L and they gave me a loaner plus they filled the tank for me at no charge. My only complaint is that they broke two plastic chair rail covers and didn't tell me about it.. I noticed this when I went to vacuum the back seat the next day.
Old 06-27-20, 09:50 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Still nothing on the fuel pump recall but I did see a bulletin on the Lexus drivers website saying that I have to bring it in to get the front two interior door handles replaced. Any one else get this?
Old 06-27-20, 04:19 PM
lester123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hotrod70
Treasure Coast Lexus did mine in a day, got a loaner.
If you had waited, would they have done it in less time? When I called Treasure Coast, they said it was a 4 hr job
Old 06-28-20, 05:28 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lester123
If you had waited, would they have done it in less time? When I called Treasure Coast, they said it was a 4 hr job
The cars that have guests waiting generally get serviced first. Common sense.
Old 06-29-20, 05:51 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had my 2019 RX 350 done last week. I knew a recall was coming but had not heard anything until I did a search for it the week before. That's how I found out that there was a fix. I thought I would get a letter or something notifying me that a fix was available. It took the dealership 2½ days to do it. Initially, they said it would take 24 hours so they gave me a loaner. I got the email the next morning and I went to pick it up. The CR said that they filled my tank up. Cool!. Once I pulled out of the dealership, my tank read ¼ tank of gas. Oh well. So I am driving along and going home when all of a sudden, my tank gauge reads empty. The "Low Fuel" yellow light comes on, too. I went to the next gas station to fill it up and the car won't take but 2 gallons worth of gas. I just left the dealership about 3 miles behind me. So I return to the dealership and tell them the problems. I get another loaner. It takes two more days for me to get the call that the car is ready. The note on the invoice says, "Fuel sending unit connector do not click together." I suppose that fixed the problem. I had hoped they would give me an upgrade to my maps (~$400 Plus) on my other Lexus ES due to delayed inconvenience. It put me in a bind because I didn't have my car to go where I needed to go. Didn't want to take the loaner for fear of the unspeakable happening. Anyway, the car is fixed...hopefully.
Old 06-29-20, 06:02 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderHawk
I had my 2019 RX 350 done last week. I knew a recall was coming but had not heard anything until I did a search for it the week before. That's how I found out that there was a fix. I thought I would get a letter or something notifying me that a fix was available. It took the dealership 2½ days to do it. Initially, they said it would take 24 hours so they gave me a loaner. I got the email the next morning and I went to pick it up. The CR said that they filled my tank up. Cool!. Once I pulled out of the dealership, my tank read ¼ tank of gas. Oh well. So I am driving along and going home when all of a sudden, my tank gauge reads empty. The "Low Fuel" yellow light comes on, too. I went to the next gas station to fill it up and the car won't take but 2 gallons worth of gas. I just left the dealership about 3 miles behind me. So I return to the dealership and tell them the problems. I get another loaner. It takes two more days for me to get the call that the car is ready. The note on the invoice says, "Fuel sending unit connector do not click together." I suppose that fixed the problem. I had hoped they would give me an upgrade to my maps (~$400 Plus) on my other Lexus ES due to delayed inconvenience. It put me in a bind because I didn't have my car to go where I needed to go. Didn't want to take the loaner for fear of the unspeakable happening. Anyway, the car is fixed...hopefully.
What would be unspeakable about taking a loaner?
Old 06-29-20, 06:33 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The thought of getting into a fender bender or any accident in a car that does not belong to me. Though I consider myself a safe driver, it could still happen and could even be my fault. I'd rather do that in my car than someone else's.
Old 06-29-20, 07:47 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderHawk
The thought of getting into a fender bender or any accident in a car that does not belong to me. Though I consider myself a safe driver, it could still happen and could even be my fault. I'd rather do that in my car than someone else's.
That's why they have insurance, but I understand how you feel.
Old 06-29-20, 08:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I once had a bad accident in a rental car - rear ended so 100% fault of the other guy but it was a still quite a headache for several months, paperwork etc. In the end of course, I had ZERO liability.
Old 07-01-20, 10:25 AM
Nimaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dealership told me they never had an incident report related to fuel pump recall but it happened to me once. I don't know exactly fuel pump caused it or not but engine stopped like you're out of fuel
Old 07-01-20, 11:38 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

It took about 3.5 hours from the time I dropped off the car until they called and said it was ready. The bad news was, there's another safety recall, on the inside front door handles, that they don't yet have the parts for, so there will be a repeat visit sometime later this summer. I think the software update that says "no reprogramming needed" was one that downloaded and installed last week. The "low fuel" light was on when I dropped off the car, and they thanked me for that. When I picked it up, it was almost but not quite full. It was their normal good work.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Recall