RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Fuel Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 07:32 PM
bzboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So.... Got my fuel pump recall done on Tues. Took about 5 hrs from the time I dropped it off till the time I picked it up. I had dropped it off with gas tank 1/3 full as requested and they said they would fill it up after the work was done. They also did a software update and my 5k maintenance check. As I drove away after picking it up, I noticed that the tank was still at 1/3. I called and asked them about it and they said they were sorry and forgot to fill it up. Being the nice person that I am , I said forget about it and drove home no problems.

Today went to go fill the tank up. Hmmm seem to be taking more gas than usual. I look down and gas is pouring out from underneath near the rear driver wheel. Called Lexus and brought it in. I'm assuming something similar to what RaiderHawk experienced - they forgot to reconnect something? Oh well got another loaner in my driveway now. Got gas on my shoes as I drove it in and got it on my floormats. They definitely owe me a nice interior wash and shampoo of my mats for this screw up.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (07-02-20)
Old 07-30-20, 03:55 AM
Ranger103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Pump Recall

I purchased my 2019 RX350 November in Central Florida. I am over seas till November 2020 so hopefully most repairs will be complete by then. A friend is driving the car once a week a short distance to work. I live in North West Florida and the nearest Lexus dealer is 2 hours away. We have a very large Toyota dealer in town so was wondering if Lexus would authorize them to do the recall for me?
Old 07-30-20, 06:09 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger103
I purchased my 2019 RX350 November in Central Florida. I am over seas till November 2020 so hopefully most repairs will be complete by then. A friend is driving the car once a week a short distance to work. I live in North West Florida and the nearest Lexus dealer is 2 hours away. We have a very large Toyota dealer in town so was wondering if Lexus would authorize them to do the recall for me?
The Toyota dealer that's closer to me than Lexus would not do my Fuel Pump Recall. They didn't give a particular reason as I was just inquiring. Had they said yes, I more than likely would have taken it there since it is much closer than the Lexus dealership.
Old 07-30-20, 09:22 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

I'm under the impression Toyota will do normal maintenance on a Lexus but no recalls.
Old 07-30-20, 09:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderHawk
The Toyota dealer that's closer to me than Lexus would not do my Fuel Pump Recall. They didn't give a particular reason as I was just inquiring. Had they said yes, I more than likely would have taken it there since it is much closer than the Lexus dealership.
Can't really blame them - they have their Toyota loyal customers that they'd prefer to cater to. Same company I know but …..
Old 07-30-20, 09:53 AM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got two of my recalls done on my RX350L, Lexus quality is going downhill. I older generation of Lexus never have any issue.
Old 07-30-20, 12:51 PM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Although recalls are inconvenient, Lexus and Toyota are stepping up and meeting the problem head on. I don’t “recall” seeing fellow members report the symptoms that the campaign seeks to fix. GM or Ford would probably fight like crazy to avoid a recall.
Old 07-30-20, 02:57 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueOX
Lexus quality is going downhill. I older generation of Lexus never have any issue.
I truly hope that first part is not true. Comparing my Gen 4 to my Gen 3, I cannot say that the quality is less. What I can say, for sure, is that these cars are getting more complex. And another thing I can say for sure is, the reliability of an electro-mechanical system is directly related to the parts count. More parts = lower reliability, is the general rule. I see it as good news that they can provide a software update over the air, via the service connect thing. A lot of the functionality of these Gen 4 cars is in the software. So I've had 2 recalls and 1 TSB applied to my car, and two software updates via service connect. The original front wiper blades streaked from day 1 and were replaced under warranty at the first service. That and the transmission "hesitation" issue are the only performance issues that I have observed. Using information from this forum, I raised the headlight beams a little. Also using information from this forum, I bought the correct socket and put that and my breaker bar socket driver in with the spare tire, as I learned the OEM tire wrench is hopelessly inadequate. The Bridgestone tires were a disappointment, in terms of tire life, but there are a lot worse things that can happen and didn't. I'm hopeful that my 2018 RX has a long, reliable life ahead of it.

Last edited by dibl; 07-30-20 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 06:51 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderHawk
According to my local Toyota dealer, they won't perform any recall work on Lexus vehicles because there's no process in place for a Toyota dealer to get paid for a Lexus recall. So it has nothing to do with product loyalty, but simply because they won't get paid. Really a PITA for me, as I will need to drive 250+ miles to the nearest Lexus dealer to get the recall(s) done.
Old 07-31-20, 07:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by RickC5
According to my local Toyota dealer, they won't perform any recall work on Lexus vehicles because there's no process in place for a Toyota dealer to get paid for a Lexus recall. So it has nothing to do with product loyalty, but simply because they won't get paid. Really a PITA for me, as I will need to drive 250+ miles to the nearest Lexus dealer to get the recall(s) done.
The good news is your tank will be filled by Lexus after the repair.
mikemacch (09-14-20)
Old 07-31-20, 08:21 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

The fuel pump recall parts have been ordered for my 2019 RX350L. I asked, and could not get, a straight answer on whether or not the fuel tank is removed for R&R of fuel pump, or are they going to remove the middle bench seat? She said both. Both? Really. I was of the understanding that it’s either or, but haven’t heard both until today. Can anyone that’s had the recall completed please weigh in. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-20, 12:18 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

They didn't remove my gas tank. They removed the left rear passenger seat to uncover an access port underneath it. Do yourself and the technician a favor, and run the gas down to where the low fuel light comes on, before you take it in for the service. They told me that it is difficult to do the pump R & R without getting any gas on the interior of the car, and the more gas that is in the tank, the more difficult the job. They will (almost) fill up your gas tank after the pump is replaced. Mine took about 2.5 hours before they called me and said it was ready to pick up.
The following 3 users liked this post by dibl:
GregE (08-23-20), mikemacch (09-14-20), xxx350L (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 03:12 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Must not have removed mine either yesterday. Completed the recall and an ECU reprogram along with the 5000 service in about 3 hrs.
xxx350L (08-01-20)
Old 08-01-20, 07:45 AM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This link shows how the pump is removed.
The following 2 users liked this post by RVAHoo:
mssca (01-18-21), xxx350L (08-01-20)
Old 08-11-20, 08:30 AM
martins00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broke down 5 days after ECM/Fuel Pump Recall Service

2018 RX350. We took it in for the recall on Monday, August 3rd specifically for the recall notices we had received:

1. 20LC03 - REPROGRAM ENGINE CONTROL MODULE ~|~20LC03 ECU UPDATE ~|~PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS ~|~52764 COMPLETED 20LC03 CAMPAIGN. 2LC031 .8 HR

2. 20LA01 - REPLACE LOW-PRESSURE FP (RX-L WITH MANUAL RR SEA ~|~FUEL PUMP RECALL ~|~PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS ~|~52764 REPLACED LOW-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS. LA0115 2.6 HR

Drove the vehicle 4 days with no issues. Then on Sunday, August 9 car suddenly dies while at speed on the interstate at 70 mph. No warning. Cruise control was on, while in left lane passing. Had no time to clear traffic and get to the right-hand side of the interstate. Sat in 100+ degrees in Central Ga for over an hour waiting for Lexus Roadside Assistance which never showed up. We abandoned the car after a family member drove over 30 minutes to come get us. The car would not crank. Totally dead.

Someone at the dealer told me they had the same thing happen to another customer. Reporting it here in case this continues others can see other's experiences. I suspect the numerous reported Lexus stalls at speed prompted the recall but I don't believe they have the true root cause of the stalls identified in the fuel system or this would not happen 5 days after a recall repair. Now I am left to wonder if the vehicle I get back is safe to drive after their 2nd attempt to prevent this stall. This type of breakdown is dangerous and I hope Lexus resolves it before it causes too many serious accidents occur.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Recall