RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Fuel Pump Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-20, 08:42 AM
martins00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the recall work done last Monday, Aug 3rd. 2018 RX350L.

20LA01 - REPLACE LOW-PRESSURE FP (RX-L WITH MANUAL RR SEA ~|~FUEL PUMP RECALL ~|~PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS ~|~52764 REPLACED LOW-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS. LA0115 2.6 HR
20LC03 - REPROGRAM ENGINE CONTROL MODULE ~|~20LC03 ECU UPDATE ~|~PER CAMPAIGN INSTRUCTIONS ~|~52764 COMPLETED 20LC03 CAMPAIGN. 2LC031 .8 HR

Car drove fine for 4 days. Day 5 on Sunday it breaks down/stalls in the left lane of a 4 lane interstate at 70mph! This issue is DANGEROUS. We had to pull over on the left side of a busy interstate and sit there with cars and trucks blowing by us at 70-80 mph. Car would not crank at all. Completely dead. No AC in 100plus degree Central Ga weather. Not a fun way to spend a Sunday.

I hope Lexus finds the true root cause of this issue and repairs it on my vehicle. Another catastrophic break down like this and we are trading this car in for something safer.
Old 08-11-20, 10:48 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Failure to turn over the engine (crank) has nothing to do with fuel or fuel pump. That's electrical, or ECU, in all likelihood. Unless the engine locked up mechanically (lubrication failure). Strange, and sad! Let us know what the problem turns out to be, please.

Edit: The battery in your 2018 should still be in good shape, as mine is (so they say). However, car batteries do tend to end their lives in the heat of summer.

Last edited by dibl; 08-11-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 12:43 PM
martins00
Driver School Candidate

Update today is the fuel sending unit in the gas tank was broken/dislodged causing faulty fuel gauge reading essentially allowing the car to run out of gas. Gas gauge showed fuel in car, no low fuel warning. Somehow it was damaged during the service work performed. New sending unit on order. Fingers crossed that is all it is.
Old 08-11-20, 04:37 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by martins00
... the fuel sending unit in the gas tank was broken/dislodged causing faulty fuel gauge reading essentially allowing the car to run out of gas. .....
Hmmmmmmm. Yes, running out of fuel is definitely a cause of stalling and coasting to a stop on the side of the road. But, in the old days, that was not a cause of the starter failing to spin the engine. Maybe modern technology has changed these cause-and-effect relationships. We shall see. I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this story.
Old 08-22-20, 09:24 AM
GregE
Driver School Candidate

We had the same problem happen to my wife’s 2015 GX this week AFTER the fuel pump recall work was done.

The Fuel gage was showing over 3/4 full and the GX was parked on a friend’s inclined driveway during our visit this week. Upon leaving, It would not start. Turned over strong. I put it in neutral and let it roll into the level street and it started right up. I called Lexus and was told it was probably almost out of gas, and there may of been a problem with the work done during the recall. Went straight to a nearby gas station and put 23.5 gals into the 23 gal tank?? It was running on fumes!

Lexus said maybe a line was kinked during work so took gas tank off and rechecked recall work and reassembled. Brought GX home and noticed “Remaining miles” to drive based on gas in tank was showing only around 250miles but fuel gauge was showing full (normally would show about 320 miles remaining miles.) Stopped and filled up thinking maybe it would reset. Put about 2 gal in to fill up. Display still is counting down from the 250 and fuel gauge is pegged on full. I am wondering if this is same problem still and have appointment to take it back in on Monday.

Thank you, Your posting may prove very helpful. I will ask them to check/replace the “Fuel Sending Unit”
Old 08-31-20, 12:12 PM
riannausa1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recall fix

I took my car in to get the recall fixed. At first they informed me it’s going tot ale about 2 weeks the get the part in. I told them I already had any issue my car not getting power when I step on gas...they immediately scheduled the appointment the next day. They have the part at the dealership! Also I had the new recall repaired as well with the 2 front inside door Handles. They replaced them as well.
Old 09-06-20, 02:01 PM
normanyaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th Gen RX350 AWD fuel pump recall

Hello all,
Just brought my 2019 RX350 AWD for the recall campaign of replacing the low pressure fuel pump as well as reprogramming the ECM. The dealer messed up and now my AWD system failed with checked engine light on. I checked the fuel cap and of course they didn't tighten it all the way. I retighten it and took it for a spin and the AWD system still in fail mode. Is there anyone out there with this same issue? I am bringing it back to the dealer to get it fix (hopefully). Not pleased with the dealership worksmenship. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (09-06-20)
Old 09-07-20, 10:06 AM
truongck
Driver School Candidate

check engine light on will lead AWD failed and cruiser control wont work also. just schedule they will fix
Old 09-14-20, 05:43 AM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

True, just purchased a 2019 RX350L, no CPO due to recall. Had the recall done in August. Alls well so far. Seemed crazy about the recall not allowing CPO.
Old 09-14-20, 05:48 AM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Lexus rep told me to run down the tank as low as possible, they would give me a full tank when work completed. Got a full tank!!
Old 09-14-20, 05:53 AM
mikemacch
Driver School Candidate

Don't know how they did the repair, but I got a full tank of gas!!!
Old 09-28-20, 07:45 AM
RVAHoo
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check your RX after the recall

I had the fuel pump recall performed, and noticed a month later that the left seat back wouldn't release. Had to take it back to repair a clip that wasn't attached. Also watch your fuel gauge and be sure there are no fuel odors.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (09-28-20)
Old 09-28-20, 11:34 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Bought a new '19 RX 350 on Saturday, 9/26. We made the deal through emails and I had been assured that that the fuel pump recall repair had been performed. However, after pointing out that it was not reflected on the Lexus service history, they determined that it had not, in fact, be done. Fortunately, this caused only a slight delay in concluding the transaction because we also had to wait a bit for a tech to show up to do a PDR on a slight left front fender dent. They took care of the ECU recall at the same time, so all is good.
Old 10-27-20, 06:01 PM
unreallly
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Recall

Originally Posted by TriC
Bought a new '19 RX 350 on Saturday, 9/26. We made the deal through emails and I had been assured that that the fuel pump recall repair had been performed. However, after pointing out that it was not reflected on the Lexus service history, they determined that it had not, in fact, be done. Fortunately, this caused only a slight delay in concluding the transaction because we also had to wait a bit for a tech to show up to do a PDR on a slight left front fender dent. They took care of the ECU recall at the same time, so all is good.
I went to the dealer on Monday and the SA said it will be done half a day. Well he called and said their was a problem of the last bolt (out of four) not screwing in for the gas tank. They have to call Lexus in how to weld the area properly??? ECU and front door latches were done. I guess dropping the gas tank, removing the back seat bench, replacing the fuel pump and welding the area is taking 3 days! I hope by Wednesday, I can pick up my car!
Old 10-27-20, 06:14 PM
idleninjaz
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by unreallly
I went to the dealer on Monday and the SA said it will be done half a day. Well he called and said their was a problem of the last bolt (out of four) not screwing in for the gas tank. They have to call Lexus in how to weld the area properly??? ECU and front door latches were done. I guess dropping the gas tank, removing the back seat bench, replacing the fuel pump and welding the area is taking 3 days! I hope by Wednesday, I can pick up my car!
RX350 does not require fuel tank removal to replace the fuel pump. There are no bolts required to be removed from the fuel tank either, the fuel pump is secured by a locking ring. I am guessing the bolts they are talking about go to the seat which go into threaded holes of the vehicle body.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Recall