RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Screen not working - Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 09:04 AM
rs2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Screen not working - Help Please!

My battery died & I changed it, and suddenly the Navigation screen does not work. When you start the car, the Lexus logo shows up normally on the screen and the back up camera works. However, the navigation, bluetooth, radio, etc do not work at all. The screen is just black. It all worked perfectly prior to the battery change.
I brought it in to 2 different Lexus dealers and they both said I need a new screen because the battery change may have "shorted" the navigation system. I am an engineer and this makes no sense to me. I really think it is a computer issue, but I can't get it to work. I have checked all the fuses and tried unplugging the battery & restarting the car several times. This absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, and enough reason that I would NEVER buy another Lexus again. They have absolutely no customer service since my warranty just expired.
I have looked this up here & other websites online. I have tried all the suggested fixes to no avail.
Anyone with any suggestions? Do you really think the navigation is "shorted" as they say?

Last edited by rs2016; 01-14-20 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-14-20, 09:17 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 496 Likes on 374 Posts

As long as the battery was disconnected properly, I don't see damaging the screen. However, when the battery died, did you have the car jumped first?
Old 01-14-20, 09:21 AM
rs2016
Driver School Candidate

Nope, the battery was not jumped. It was all disconnect & reconnected properly.
The screen itself appears to be working, but the entire computer system won't boot up to work....
Old 01-14-20, 10:33 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by rs2016
Nope, the battery was not jumped. It was all disconnect & reconnected properly.
The screen itself appears to be working, but the entire computer system won't boot up to work....
Try holding down the radio button for 10 sec or so, this will re-boot the system and may solve your problem.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (05-15-23)
Old 01-14-20, 10:59 AM
rs2016
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try this (since it has worked for lots of other people) and it didn't reset the system and work. I've tried it multiple times without any luck.
Old 01-14-20, 11:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,809 Posts

This is a reason I have the dealer perform maintenance while under warranty. They will always search for a reason it was your fault. "You changed the battery past 9PM? No wonder it's not working".
Old 01-14-20, 12:31 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
This is a reason I have the dealer perform maintenance while under warranty. They will always search for a reason it was your fault. "You changed the battery past 9PM? No wonder it's not working".
What do they do when they perform maintenance other than nothing?
Old 01-14-20, 12:45 PM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rs2016
My battery died & I changed it, and suddenly the Navigation screen does not work. When you start the car, the Lexus logo shows up normally on the screen and the back up camera works. However, the navigation, bluetooth, radio, etc do not work at all. The screen is just black. It all worked perfectly prior to the battery change.
I brought it in to 2 different Lexus dealers and they both said I need a new screen because the battery change may have "shorted" the navigation system. I am an engineer and this makes no sense to me. I really think it is a computer issue, but I can't get it to work. I have checked all the fuses and tried unplugging the battery & restarting the car several times. This absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, and enough reason that I would NEVER buy another Lexus again. They have absolutely no customer service since my warranty just expired.
I have looked this up here & other websites online. I have tried all the suggested fixes to no avail.
Anyone with any suggestions? Do you really think the navigation is "shorted" as they say?
Is your stereo still working? When you adjust the volume, do you see anything on the screen at all? I turned off my display one time while driving at night, I just had to hit my "map" button to turn it back on. Have you tried just hitting the map button?
Old 01-14-20, 01:03 PM
rs2016
Driver School Candidate

@mikemu30 The dealers and even national customer service are absolutely useless. Clearly they have no intention of keeping their owners loyal.

@kmiller882 The radio doesn't work either. The entire screen is just black. No functionality at all.
Old 01-14-20, 01:24 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golferjack
What do they do when they perform maintenance other than nothing?
I get it - you're being facetious . If my battery went dead, they would replace it and if the screen went bad, they couldn't blame it on me. End of story.
Old 01-14-20, 02:01 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I get it - you're being facetious . If my battery went dead, they would replace it and if the screen went bad, they couldn't blame it on me. End of story.
I was not being facetious, but I misunderstood what you were saying. I had thought you were talking about preventative maintenance/inspections, which is just another way for them to dig money out of customers. Sorry
Old 01-14-20, 02:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Exact issue came up recently in the GS forum. OP experienced the same symptoms when he replaced his battery. He had to replace the entire nav unit in the end. Lots of good info here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html
Old 01-14-20, 02:52 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golferjack
I was not being facetious, but I misunderstood what you were saying. I had thought you were talking about preventative maintenance/inspections, which is just another way for them to dig money out of customers. Sorry
Got it. No way I fall for that but I have them do oil changes. I'll change air filter, cabin filter myself but anything beyond that I have them handle.
rxtimes2 (01-15-20)
Old 01-14-20, 03:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
Exact issue came up recently in the GS forum. OP experienced the same symptoms when he replaced his battery. He had to replace the entire nav unit in the end. Lots of good info here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html
Wow I read through that entire thread. For sure, I'll head to the dealer next time I need a battery.
JDR76 (01-14-20)
Old 01-15-20, 02:34 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I have jumped my 2016, and changed the battery, and all of my systems still work. If jumping the battery and changing the battery outside of the dealer network caused the screen/infotainment system to quit, half the RX’s on the road would be without displays. I can just imagine the highlighted warning in the owners manual - DO NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY UNLESS YOU ARE AT A LEXUS DEALERSHIP. Something else is going on here.

Quick Reply: Screen not working - Help Please!