RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Building a self driving RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20 | 07:34 AM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Default Building a self driving RX450h

I've been following comma.ai for some time now and I think their latest dev kit is ready for prime time. So I went ahead order the self-driving computer and harness for my RX hybrid. I am ready for the future of self driving cars.

https://comma.ai/

The following 2 users liked this post by joeguan3rx:
ericsan13 (01-17-20), signdetres (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20 | 10:03 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
I've been following comma.ai for some time now and I think their latest dev kit is ready for prime time. So I went ahead order the self-driving computer and harness for my RX hybrid. I am ready for the future of self driving cars.

https://comma.ai/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7SP0_Vt-8&t=128s
Maybe you should send this to Musk.
Old 01-17-20 | 10:08 AM
chrispy

Please update with your experience when you get the kit. I've always wondered about open pilot on the new Lexus cars.
Old 01-17-20 | 10:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Apple uses an RX for their self-driving tech, so I don't see why you shouldn't.

Old 01-23-20 | 05:23 PM
rx45oh
Rookie

subscribed and interest to hear back from you how all goes
Old 09-30-22 | 02:18 PM
ingmalopez
1st Gear

Hey, quick question what is your experiences with Comma AI, I'm ready to pull the trigger on this but 2.5K is good to ask fist
Thank you
Old 09-30-22 | 03:16 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Please tell us where you live and when you plan on being on the road so I can stay home.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tarkus:
foxwiz (10-03-22), ravenuer (09-30-22), Tundra07 (10-01-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 09:09 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ingmalopez
Hey, quick question what is your experiences with Comma AI, I'm ready to pull the trigger on this but 2.5K is good to ask fist
Thank you
You brought a old thread back up from the dead BUT i have a comma 3 and i use it EVERYDAY
I have a UX250H with it since Jan 1, 2022 and logged over 31000 miles on it since.
my lex is currently in the shop so i pulled the unit out and installed it in my rental a 2019 corolla

i have 2 harnesses and one comma 3. just ordered a 22 rx450h f spor handling thats at buffalo port right now waiting for delivery to dealership
the reason i got a 22 is it still is using TSS2.0+ unlike the new 23 and 22nx both went TSS3.0+ 3.0 is an excrypyted ECU that has not been cracked yet to interface with.

Comma AI takes radar cruise and LTA to the next level.
No more boucing around in the lane.
No more of the car trying to kill you when the lane has an offramp.
No more touch the steering wheel nag

Yes to lane centering on at any speed
Yes to start from full stop and start when cruise in engaged. Very very good for stop and go traffic
Yes to automatically slowing down for turns
YES Auto braking still works

You can drive 100's of miles without ever having any steering input.
Its level 2 autonomous driving, factory system up to next level.

I love it and dont like to drive without it. I sold my 05 RX and replaced it with my on order 22450h because of compatability with comma 3
The following users liked this post:
Myoboku (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 10:37 AM
Myoboku
Driver School Candidate

I have a Honda and an Acura with C3 (Comma 3). Just bought a 22 RX450h L to use with another C3 (all b/c of TSS2.0+, just like gshadow325 said). Yes, that'll be three vehicles with its own C3 for my wife and myself. I also have RC350 F-Sport, but has no active driving support, so that's my driver's car (if you can call a RC a driver's car, that is--it's heavy, more of a grand tourer for me). I live in Long Island, NY. Office is 20 miles away in NYC but that 20 mile commute can range from 25 mins to 2.5 hours depending on traffic. My work also sends me out to satellite companies out of state which is 6-8 hours away. C3 is a gamer changer and driving experience will never be the same once you experience it. It's the closest thing to full Level 2 driving for existing production vehicles on the road (outside of teslas). And trust me, C3 is much safer than a distracted, fatigued drivers on the road. I'll never buy another vehicle that isn't openpilot compatible or at least full level 2 from factory. I've logged tens of thousands of miles on openpilot and I fully trust it (of course, while paying attention). Went on a family vacation to Boston over summer with wife and kids. Only drove about 5% of the time (driving only when leaving NY, getting into Boston city limits and changing route/highways). System is that solid. Don't mistake openpilot for Tesla's Full Self Driving (FSD); it's more equivalent to Tesla's AUTOPILOT. I haven't seen a single detractor who've actually experienced openpilot in action. It's one of those things you got to see to believe. The future is here.
gshadow325 (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 10:53 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Myoboku
I have a Honda and an Acura with C3 (Comma 3). Just bought a 22 RX450h L to use with another C3 (all b/c of TSS2.0+, just like gshadow325 said). Yes, that'll be three vehicles with its own C3 for my wife and myself. I also have RC350 F-Sport, but has no active driving support, so that's my driver's car (if you can call a RC a driver's car, that is--it's heavy, more of a grand tourer for me). I live in Long Island, NY. Office is 20 miles away in NYC but that 20 mile commute can range from 25 mins to 2.5 hours depending on traffic. My work also sends me out to satellite companies out of state which is 6-8 hours away. C3 is a gamer changer and driving experience will never be the same once you experience it. It's the closest thing to full Level 2 driving for existing production vehicles on the road (outside of teslas). And trust me, C3 is much safer than a distracted, fatigued drivers on the road. I'll never buy another vehicle that isn't openpilot compatible or at least full level 2 from factory. I've logged tens of thousands of miles on openpilot and I fully trust it (of course, while paying attention). Went on a family vacation to Boston over summer with wife and kids. Only drove about 5% of the time (driving only when leaving NY, getting into Boston city limits and changing route/highways). System is that solid. Don't mistake openpilot for Tesla's Full Self Driving (FSD); it's more equivalent to Tesla's AUTOPILOT. I haven't seen a single detractor who've actually experienced openpilot in action. It's one of those things you got to see to believe. The future is here.
DAYUM 3 c3's?!?!?!?

i'm running sunny's fork on my lexus UX250h and only using one C3 to transfeer between the two cars...mainly b/c one driver two cars.
its bad enough i need 2 full laser jamming systems on each car!
NYPD runs stalker and pro-laser and my AL Priority JTG all the time!

Like you my miles are logged on NJ TP and all thru the 5 boroughs from Philly to NYC work day.

C3 makes traffic bearable...
Myoboku (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 11:46 AM
Myoboku
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshadow325
DAYUM 3 c3's?!?!?!?

i'm running sunny's fork on my lexus UX250h and only using one C3 to transfeer between the two cars...mainly b/c one driver two cars.
its bad enough i need 2 full laser jamming systems on each car!
NYPD runs stalker and pro-laser and my AL Priority JTG all the time!

Like you my miles are logged on NJ TP and all thru the 5 boroughs from Philly to NYC work day.

C3 makes traffic bearable...
Yes 3x C3s (no cross country, just 250gb). Always on I-95 on my way to D.C. for work. C3 is AMAZING on NJ TP due to all the straight highways. I'm running Aragon on the Honda and stock for the Acura. Tried Sunnyhaibin's fork and really liked it--and he's very active with the fork. I don't run laser jammers. Been hit with lasers on numerous occasions on CT TP, but going south towards DC, no hits. Running R7s on the Acura and RC; and R3 on the Honda--all fuse tapped. Been waiting on Theia for a while... Maybe that's the one I'll get for the RX, still haven't decided.
Old 10-03-22 | 11:53 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Yes 3x C3s (no cross country, just 250gb). Always on I-95 on my way to D.C. for work. C3 is AMAZING on NJ TP due to all the straight highways. I'm running Aragon on the Honda and stock for the Acura. Tried Sunnyhaibin's fork and really liked it--and he's very active with the fork. I don't run laser jammers. Been hit with lasers on numerous occasions on CT TP, but going south towards DC, no hits. Running R7s on the Acura and RC; and R3 on the Honda--all fuse tapped. Been waiting on Theia for a while... Maybe that's the one I'll get for the RX, still haven't decided.
theia is the new redenso right? when will that ever come out LOL...i just going with a R8 with remote control head and 5 head alps can call it a day got a trip to orlando in nov. so need the jammers in NC, SC, GA and FL
Old 10-03-22 | 12:02 PM
Myoboku
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshadow325
theia is the new redenso right? when will that ever come out LOL...i just going with a R8 with remote control head and 5 head alps can call it a day got a trip to orlando in nov. so need the jammers in NC, SC, GA and FL
R8 fancy that!

But going back to the C3s and openpilot conversation, if anyone is curious about how far the L2 autonomous driving technology has come... C3 is worth a try. And once you try it, I guarantee you won't go back to pre-autonomous driving. It's that good.
gshadow325 (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 12:08 PM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

R8 fancy that!

But going back to the C3s and openpilot conversation, if anyone is curious about how far the L2 autonomous driving technology has come... C3 is worth a try. And once you try it, I guarantee you won't go back to pre-autonomous driving. It's that good.
it really is that good, i got my 22 RX because of it. Didnt get the NX because it has TSS3.0+, I think many of the newer Lexus are going TSS3.0

I got a nissan versa as a rental while my UX is in the shop and hated driving it without the comma ai, went to several enterprise locations and found a 2019 corolla to temporarily install my C3 and this little econobox is bearable now with my daily 250 mile commute.
Myoboku (10-04-22)
Old 10-03-22 | 01:24 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Simply amazing......Musk spent 100s of million$ to come up with a self driving Tesla when you can go on the net and convert any car to self driving for $1999.!!!???

Quick Reply: Building a self driving RX450h