RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 07:45 AM
Rhemy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monkpenn
Yes, the experience with the GROM VLs has, unfortunately, been that bad.

No, I am not using CarPlay or Android Auto.

My biggest complaints:

1. Pre-sales flubbed a question that was very important to me: Pre-sales gave me wrong information to my most important question when deciding to buy the VL2: whether I could simultaneously see VL2 map app (eg., Waze) on my car's screen while listening to the car's satellite radio audio (I was told yes, but it cannot).

2. Button lock ups: Buttons (on my center console, and/or on my car's infotainment unit) stop working, which prohibits me from changing stations, navigating menus, etc.. This often resolves by itself after 1-3 minutes but not always. For example, while listening to satellite radio on my car's infotainment system, the buttons on my console (jog wheel, back button, etc.) stopped working as well as the buttons on my infotainment unit. It wasn't until I started my car again that they worked again.

3. Audio echo: Last night I decide I wanted to play songs from my phone over Bluetooth, and there was an echo where, seemingly, both the main audio played as well as another identical one a fraction of a second later.

4. Support: I have dozens of emails with [a person at GROM whom I won't publicly shame, but have told GROM about]. He often failed to read the details that a took a great amount of time to provide in writing, often asking me to 'send a video' (why would I provide a video of me pushing a button and the button not doing anything?!?). I tried calling the store twice to ask for different support but always got vectored back to him. If you look at the support ticket number, GROM could see the many failed attempts to fix things. After 5 months, I gave up after he didn't respond to the last message, and all his suggested fixes didn't work.

And I am not even going into detail about the problems with getting to some 'soft buttons' on menus within standard apps (e.g., Google Maps); they are sometimes not reachable with any hard buttons (i.e., scroll ****) in my car, and have to use a Bluetooth keyboard that I subsequently bought just for that shortfall.
that all seems really frustrating.
Old 08-13-21, 09:03 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

It is not possible to use VLine map and listen to the car's sat radio, as the stereo cannot be in two audio modes at the same time. The VLine emulates specific mode of the stereo, depending on the vehicle it can be AUX, USB or CDC. The stereo technically cannot be in two different modes at the same time. However If you are in VLine mode, you have the access to virtually endless music streaming capabilities - either with CarPlay, Android Auto, or using music apps that you can run on VLine itself. It includes Spotify, TuneIn, Pandora, and you can even use the XM Radio app.

#2 and #3 should not happen. For #3 if you want to play music, you can use the Android Auto or CarPlay integration, it is easier.

Our technical team asks for the video of the specific problem from time to time because it helps us to see what exactly is going on in your particular situation. With the modern technology it is easy to provide. The system also comes with 18 month warranty, and our service center is located in USA.
Old 09-19-21, 01:48 PM
Shory9zeci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Simply press and hold MENU button to switch to VLine while in phone call. If not working simply update your firmware to the latest. Let us know if you need any help in this regard.
No, it is not working, i try a lot of combinations. Every time I get on the display a message says "talking"
Old 01-13-22, 07:09 AM
Mzhussein
Driver School Candidate

Default Buttons not working :(

Hi @gromaudio, I've installed a VL2 on my RX450h 2010, with nav.

The Joystick moves the curser - but selecting with enter doesn't do anything.

Keyboard/mouse input works.

Can you help resolve please? I've tried to reach out website also.
Old 01-17-22, 07:30 PM
Iko
9th Gear

Hi Has anyone tried this?
https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/blog/lexus...oid-head-unit/

Old 01-18-22, 09:50 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mzhussein
Hi @gromaudio, I've installed a VL2 on my RX450h 2010, with nav.

The Joystick moves the curser - but selecting with enter doesn't do anything.

Keyboard/mouse input works.

Can you help resolve please? I've tried to reach out website also.
Hi, thank you for using GROM VLine system! It looks that we have a ticket open for you with our technical team, please keep working with them.
Old 08-03-22, 05:51 PM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grom VLine module install location. And question about screen flicker

Hey everyone! Just recently installed the VLine 2 in my 2017 RX. I currently have the module installed inside the glove box. However, I'm worried about 2 things,

1. The wires constantly being moved, stretched or even pinched whenever the glove box is opened and closed
2. The module itself getting damaged from other things inside the glove box
It also kind of sucks to lose such prime storage real estate.

I was wondering if anyone else here have figured out a more semi permanent location for the module.

Also, the screen would flicker once in a while. Would get worse when I'm in the bluetooth/wireless settings menu.

Thanks In advance!
Old 08-03-22, 06:01 PM
eddie420

Received 633 Likes on 452 Posts

Hey there!

There is a MASSIVE thread on the GS forums, take a look at the the creative way people have mounted their units!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...installed.html

Feel free to post pictures of your install here. I've been contemplating buying it for some time, but can't justify the price tag at the moment.

Thanks!