RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 11:00 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by abhirx350
Hello GromAudio.. I am not a hands-on guy with installation of this system. But took it to one shop where they charge $85/hr to get it installed. They tried installing everything as per the installation guide but were not able to get back to the factory controls screen. Its going to black screen with lines on top. They tried calling your number but that is a sales line and they are not able to get a hold of anyone.

Someone wants them to download Whatsapp to chat and send videos but they've been at it for 2 hrs. When we are spending $600 on the VL2 for wireless carplay and your website chat support told me that this is the support number for any issues during installation.. why is there no tech support where there is an issue. Please let me know what is the direct number to reach you for tech support?
Please let us know how this turns out. I contact an authorize shop a month ago and they never got back to me with a quote. Doesn't give me confidence.
Old 05-21-20, 11:13 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Please let us know how this turns out. I contact an authorize shop a month ago and they never got back to me with a quote. Doesn't give me confidence.
I asked a similar question to GROM if they kept track of their recommended installers so I could go to an installer that was familiar with their product. Reason I asked is because I called 3 different installers here in South Florida and each one seemed like they never heard of GROM Audio but said...umm, yeah, bring it on in and we will take a stab at it”. This was the general message from each of the installers but they did list many more to choose from but could not tell me which installer from Miami to West Palm might have prior experience with their product. Likewise I don’t have the time or patience or unlimited monies for someone to trouble shoot with them if it does not work correctly the first time around as this is my only car.

seems like it should not be too bad to install but seeing troubles from Bluetooth calls to this persons install with no immediate tech support is putting me on the fence here. It’s $600 for the unit plus say another $200-300 for install? Almost a hard earned grand with a product that may have some issues.

I also would like to know they got the problem resolved through WhatsApp tech assistance or they ended up scrapping it all together.
Old 05-21-20, 10:59 PM
Whitfield
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed vLine2 in center console

Just wanted to show the vLine installed in the center console. It sits under the pull out tray perfectly. Originally I had it in my glove box but I did not like losing the space in n the glove box so I moved it here. For me (using wireless CarPlay) it was been a great experience. I have had a couple of times where a phone call has knocked me out of the system but other than that it has worked great. I am very happy with the product.
The following 2 users liked this post by Whitfield:
N00dles (10-04-21), notara (05-26-21)
Old 05-22-20, 08:34 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whitfield;10809327
[i
Just wanted to show the vLine installed in the center console. It sits under the pull out tray perfectly. Originally I had it in my glove box but I did not like losing the space in n the glove box so I moved it here. For me (using wireless CarPlay) it was been a great experience. I have had a couple of times where a phone call has knocked me out of the system but other than that it has worked great. I am very happy with the product. [/i]
Do you have any issue with Bluetooth sound quality like some others have commented recently? or are you switching back to the OEM Lexus Bluetooth for calls?
Old 05-22-20, 10:33 AM
Whitfield
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by New450hL
Do you have any issue with Bluetooth sound quality like some others have commented recently? or are you switching back to the OEM Lexus Bluetooth for calls?
i am switching back to OEM for calls. Actually I have not tried taking calls thru CarPlay yet. I have had a couple of times when after it switched to OEM for a call it did not switch back to vLine/CarPlay. I had to manually switch it back over.
Old 05-22-20, 10:37 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Whitfield
i am switching back to OEM for calls. Actually I have not tried taking calls thru CarPlay yet. I have had a couple of times when after it switched to OEM for a call it did not switch back to vLine/CarPlay. I had to manually switch it back over.
I have 2 more questions...how hard is it to switch back & forth between calls via Lexus Bluetooth and Carplay? Can I have Carplay on the navigation screen such as Waze but be on the Lexus system bluetooth at same time?
Old 05-22-20, 03:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Does wireless CarPlay work through bluetooth?
Old 05-22-20, 07:32 PM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Does wireless CarPlay work through bluetooth?
this whole issue with calls is really making me hold back on purchasing and now thinking about researching the Beatsonic and others. Hopefully GROM addresses the issue or it’s very easy to switch back and forth between Bluetooth devices.
Old 05-23-20, 01:45 PM
Whitfield
Driver School Candidate

I have 2 more questions...how hard is it to switch back & forth between calls via Lexus Bluetooth and Carplay? Can I have Carplay on the navigation screen such as Waze but be on the Lexus system bluetooth at same time?
when the call comes through I answer it via the steering wheel control. The screen will switch to the OEM Generic audio control screen. When I hang up it will switch back to CarPlay. In the event it does not switch back I press the physical ‘Media’ button twice.
if you are in your car a lot and use the phone a lot I can see where this would be an issue. I will try to have CarPlay answer the phone and report back.
Old 05-23-20, 01:48 PM
New450hL
Rookie

when the call comes through I answer it via the steering wheel control. The screen will switch to the OEM Generic audio control screen. When I hang up it will switch back to CarPlay. In the event it does not switch back I press the physical ‘Media’ button twice.
if you are in your car a lot and use the phone a lot I can see where this would be an issue. I will try to have CarPlay answer the phone and report back.
thanks for feedback as much appreciated...can I have Waze on the navigation screen while using Lexus bluetooth system?
Old 05-25-20, 07:57 AM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wanted to show the vLine installed in the center console. It sits under the pull out tray perfectly. Originally I had it in my glove box but I did not like losing the space in n the glove box so I moved it here. For me (using wireless CarPlay) it was been a great experience. I have had a couple of times where a phone call has knocked me out of the system but other than that it has worked great. I am very happy with the product.

how did you run the wires? Is there instructions you can refer me to for this installation and will I need any additional wiring? Are you able to use the car Bluetooth while using wireless play maps?
Old 05-27-20, 12:27 PM
abhirx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did reach out to them. They are sending a replacement unit. Basically I spend $300 dollars on the install which is completely wasted now as the unit was faulty. Now I have the install with the new unit scheduled for this Saturday. Main problem is - GROM said they cut their staff, so there is no longer a dedicated tech support line. So if some issues come up on Saturday, I am only scared there will be no one to contact or verify it with. I mainly chose them because they are here in California and they will be more reachable. At this point I will end up spending the same amount as the Unit for the install. But if it does not work again and I am unable to reach GROM for support. I will be returning the unit and also would have washed $600 down the drain. It's been a pain in the ***. But I would rather have a professional install it as I don't want to screw anything else connected.
Old 05-27-20, 12:38 PM
abhirx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the issue I had with the unit -
Old 05-28-20, 09:17 AM
Lownerrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for feedback as much appreciated...can I have Waze on the navigation screen while using Lexus bluetooth system?
Unfortunately, you cannot.
Old 05-28-20, 09:55 AM
New450hL
Rookie

Thanks for info as it was very helpful. Unfortunately I don’t see this for me after further understanding how it works as I am on the phone a ton while I drive and really need to have both WAZE & Bluetooth operational at same time.

Quick Reply: VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up