RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 11:11 PM
BadBimr
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cappyc
Is it possible to listen to Sirius Xm while using Vline maps either Google or Waze.
I have a 2019 Lexus RX 350..

The connection is being done via USB, i would assume the Satellite Radio would still work but can't seem to get a confirmation on this.
I assume you can you use the sirus app on the phone.

Also I would like other's that have the VL2 to tell us how the y like it.

Is Android Auto wireless yet or still via USB?

Thanks
BB

Last edited by BadBimr; 07-23-20 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 01:06 PM
Lownerrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBimr
I assume you can you use the sirus app on the phone.

Also I would like other's that have the VL2 to tell us how the y like it.

Is Android Auto wireless yet or still via USB?

Thanks
BB
Yes, I use the sirus app on apple carplay.

I believe google just updated andoid auto to go wireless. I assume GROM will be able to add it?
Old 09-15-20, 09:15 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Lownerrx
Yes, I use the sirus app on apple carplay.

I believe google just updated andoid auto to go wireless. I assume GROM will be able to add it?
We are looking into implementation of wireless Android Auto. However the technology for wireless Android Auto is not polished yet, and is not supported by many phones. As of now Android Auto works via USB, and CarPlay is available both wireless and wired. Here is the video of wireless CarPlay on VLine VL2 on Lexus stereo:

The following users liked this post:
Lownerrx (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 09:22 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by fantasy521
Hi there,
I have a 2018 Lexus RX350 with the factory Nav.
For the past two years, I tried numerous phone mounts and even the factory nav, however,
it just isn't cutting it.
I looked at the Beatsonic but the screen stretch just doesn't work for me,
Grom Vline 2 seems like a good choice but was wondering about the bugs and issues:
Has anyone tried the Vline 2 here?
If so it would be great if I can get some answers

1. How is the phone call quality in carplay mode?
I don't want to go back to the factory system and go back to carplay every time I get a call...

2. Does all steering wheel controls work?
Phone accept and end, volume, track change etc

3. Is the system still buggy?

4. What to look out for when installing?

I would appreciate some guidance.
Thought we would answer to some of your questions:

1. How is the phone call quality in carplay mode?
I don't want to go back to the factory system and go back to carplay every time I get a call...

Usually the phone call quality via CarPlay is good. Some users complain about the echo, and if we receive any complains like that we usually address them in the timely manner.

2. Does all steering wheel controls work?
Phone accept and end, volume, track change etc

Yes steering wheel controls work.

3. Is the system still buggy?
We address all bugs as soon as they are being reported to us. In general the system is stable.

4. What to look out for when installing?
Make sure you carefully route the video cables and make sure there are no sharp bend of the cables. Otherwise it can affect the video signal. We recommend installing the system in the glove box for easier accessibility and control.

Thank you for your interest in GROM VLine!

Lownerrx (09-15-20)
Old 09-17-20, 04:29 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my review for those who are thinking of getting GROM VLINE2. I have had this unit for almost a year now in my 2016 RX 350. Bought it directly from GROM website. I will just talk about things that I 'pay attention' to, so feel free to ask any questions on areas that I didn't mention.

Pros: As an Android head unit, it works as expected. Imagine as if you have a tablet in your car but through your infotainment system. The unit is not without flaws (screen go black, buttons not working, etc.), but if you are a bit tech saavy and know your way around electronics, those flaws are minors. I think the installation is very important, how you route your cable to not interfere with signals transferring, etc. I did the installation by myself and the planning step is the most important part.

Cons: The pros ends there when it comes to integration with your lexus infotainment system. As many users have pointed out in this thread, you won't be able to use GROM VLINE if you get a phone call and use factory bluetooth to take the call. Lexus factory screen will take over the display and there is no way for you to go back to VLINE unless you hang up or route your audio to your phone speaker. This is a huge let down, as being able to take phone calls through the car's speaker is an essential and crucial functionality. Imagine you use GROM for navigation, either through Android Auto or GROM google maps, and you get a call, it stops displaying the map, you are on a high way and fumble your way to find out what's the next exit you need to take.

Additionally, this is when customer service also ends. GROM had been prompt to respond to my emails, but being prompt to answer emails is not equivalent with being prompt to help you fix your issues. I raised the call audio issue as soon as I received the unit back in December 2019, and up until now, they have not done anything. Initially their response was that they would fix it, a month later I sent an update request, they would respond back 'we're not aware of any issue'. Needless to say, super frustrating, that gives the impression that you're just lying your way out to your customer and not actually trying to fix anything. But since I have invested my money in this system, I decided to bite the bullet and politely followed up with them countless times. Back and forth over 70 emails. Today, after keeping me waiting for 9 months, they responded back that they do not see the issue and will only 'pay more attention' once there are more people complaining of this issue. Well here you go GROM, users on this thread also observe the same issue with not able to take call on the car speakers and use GROM at the same time.

All in all, this is a $600 unit, not cheap, and it does work in select use cases. With the major flaw of call audio, this unit is not suitable for integrating into car usage IMHO. But if you don't see taking call while driving is your problem, this unit should satisfy your needs.

I talked to Beatsonic today. Back at the time they didn't have an android auto solution but now they are offering it, and they confirmed that call audio can go through your car speakers while displaying the unit's map at the same time. I will look more into this option.
The following 2 users liked this post by wx3:
lexusmica (02-21-22), Shory9zeci (03-22-21)
Old 09-17-20, 04:41 PM
New450hL
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I had bought the GROM but then started seeing the unfortunate posts and returned it within the 30 day window back in June without evening attempting to install. I subsequently got crazy lucky finding a used beat sonic unit on eBay. It works awesome without any issues. It took a while to figure out the button combo but it works like factory now. Calls thru Lexus bluetooth while CarPlay has Waze telling me directions and as soon as I hang up the call pandora kicks back on just as one would expect.

It took a while to figure out the calls thru Lexus bluetooth vs aux for CarPlay and Waze as had to make some simple setting on Waze app but works great turning down music to hear directions and then back up again after Waze is done telling me to hang a right asap.

it is plug in which is not firsts choice but I can always use a charge.

hope you have better luck with beat sonic.

if I have time I will try borrowing friends phone to video demo since I obviously can’t do it with my own phone
The following 2 users liked this post by New450hL:
Shory9zeci (03-22-21), wx3 (09-19-20)
Old 09-18-20, 08:43 AM
gromaudio
Vendor

Originally Posted by wx3
...you won't be able to use GROM VLINE if you get a phone call and use factory bluetooth to take the call. Lexus factory screen will take over the display and there is no way for you to go back to VLINE ...
Simply press and hold MENU button to switch to VLine while in phone call. If not working simply update your firmware to the latest. Let us know if you need any help in this regard.
Old 09-19-20, 06:37 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

I had already been told that the holding the MENU button is supposed to do that, but it does not work. I had updated to the latest firmware and contacted your support team for help. Their response was that once they got more people reporting this issue, they would "pay more attention". Okay, so someone dropped $600 for your product is not important enough? And this is after over 70 emails of me asking for help with fixing this issue. I just don't see the willingness to help your customer resolve such an important issue. And it's not like no one has reported this issue, other people using VLINE2 in the RX350 in this forum have also reported the same thing.

I'm sorry for being straight forward on this, but I have received similar response way too many times without actual actions to get this issue resolved.

Last edited by wx3; 09-19-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 02:53 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wx3
I had already been told that the holding the MENU button is supposed to do that, but it does not work. I had updated to the latest firmware and contacted your support team for help. Their response was that once they got more people reporting this issue, they would "pay more attention". Okay, so someone dropped $600 for your product is not important enough? And this is after over 70 emails of me asking for help with fixing this issue. I just don't see the willingness to help your customer resolve such an important issue. And it's not like no one has reported this issue, other people using VLINE2 in the RX350 in this forum have also reported the same thing.

I'm sorry for being straight forward on this, but I have received similar response way too many times without actual actions to get this issue resolved.
I ordered the Grom Vlite yesterday on my 2018 RX350 with Nav.
Totally not interested in any other features other then Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

I'm worried about couple of things:

1. Does the screen flicker sometimes?
I notice on older Lexuses the screen would flicker with the Vline....

2. Phone call
I will be mostly using Android Auto with the system. It said it uses factory bluetooth.
So when a call arrives then it takes to stock screen? Does it go back automatically? if not do you just press the MEDIA button twice?
Honestly, I don't get phone calls while driving so... if it goes back to the screen without issue I'm OK with it.
Even on my 2015 Hyundai Genesis with factory android auto support, I notice on android auto would switch to call from maps... not a big deal.
In fact, factory Android Auto uses Bluetooth also for calls. Apple Carplay does not.

3. Battery drain
I heard reports of battery drain did you experience any? I do drive a s*** ton of miles so this may not be a huge issue

4. Cabin Air filter replacement
When I need to replace the cabin filter how do you do it? Do you need to unplug everything out of the box?
Sometime I use the dealer to do it. Do I have to let them know about the mod or do they usually know how to get around it?

5. Can I listen to AM radio out of my stock headunit while looking at Google Maps?

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-20, 04:55 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

- My unit does not flicker. The screen did go 'pink' as if the signal was loss a couple of times, but it's been extremely rare. Since I had the unit on December last year, it probably happended only 2 or 3 times.

2. Phone call
I will be mostly using Android Auto with the system. It said it uses factory bluetooth.
So when a call arrives then it takes to stock screen? Does it go back automatically? if not do you just press the MEDIA button twice?
Honestly, I don't get phone calls while driving so... if it goes back to the screen without issue I'm OK with it.
Even on my 2015 Hyundai Genesis with factory android auto support, I notice on android auto would switch to call from maps... not a big deal.
In fact, factory Android Auto uses Bluetooth also for calls. Apple Carplay does not.
- If you connect your phone to Lexus factory bluetooth, when a call comes, the screen will switch to Lexus factory display. After you hang up, it automatically switches back to VLINE2. I don't have a problem with it switching to Lexus factory display when I get calls, but I can't go back to view my Maps if I need to while the call is still on.
- Furthermore, Android Auto in VLINE2 is not very stable in terms of connection. Not a huge deal, you can simply replug. However, my preferred resolution is using Head Unit Reloaded (google on XDA if you are not familiar with this), very stable and allows lots of options.

3. Battery drain
I heard reports of battery drain did you experience any? I do drive a s*** ton of miles so this may not be a huge issue
- Battery drain as in your phone's battery? The unit itself is powered through the factory audio power harness. As with my phone, I never have problem with battery drain.

When I need to replace the cabin filter how do you do it? Do you need to unplug everything out of the box?
Sometime I use the dealer to do it. Do I have to let them know about the mod or do they usually know how to get around it?
- I route VLINE box to the center armrest, so my glove box space is kept intact. It's pretty discreet. Your dealer technician should not have any problem changing out cabin air filter if you do it this way. I can explain more on my installation if you need help.

5. Can I listen to AM radio out of my stock headunit while looking at Google Maps?
- You can't. This is similar to the issue with call audio. VLINE basically takes over your AUX audio. So if you're in AUX mode to view VLINE, other audio options are NOT accessible.
- I don't use radio too much, but an alternative is using web radio inside VLINE (you would need hotspot for this).
fantasy521 (09-21-20)
Old 09-21-20, 05:35 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wx3
- My unit does not flicker. The screen did go 'pink' as if the signal was loss a couple of times, but it's been extremely rare. Since I had the unit on December last year, it probably happended only 2 or 3 times.

2. Phone call
- If you connect your phone to Lexus factory bluetooth, when a call comes, the screen will switch to Lexus factory display. After you hang up, it automatically switches back to VLINE2. I don't have a problem with it switching to Lexus factory display when I get calls, but I can't go back to view my Maps if I need to while the call is still on.
- Furthermore, Android Auto in VLINE2 is not very stable in terms of connection. Not a huge deal, you can simply replug. However, my preferred resolution is using Head Unit Reloaded (google on XDA if you are not familiar with this), very stable and allows lots of options.

3. Battery drain
- Battery drain as in your phone's battery? The unit itself is powered through the factory audio power harness. As with my phone, I never have problem with battery drain.

- I route VLINE box to the center armrest, so my glove box space is kept intact. It's pretty discreet. Your dealer technician should not have any problem changing out cabin air filter if you do it this way. I can explain more on my installation if you need help.

- You can't. This is similar to the issue with call audio. VLINE basically takes over your AUX audio. So if you're in AUX mode to view VLINE, other audio options are NOT accessible.
- I don't use radio too much, but an alternative is using web radio inside VLINE (you would need hotspot for this).
Thank you for your help wx3.

It seems like Grom should work for me based on your feedbacks.

1. Going further on the question does Lexus park assist and backup camera work well? no interuption?
2. Phone call so after I hang up does it go back? or do I have to press a button?
3. Battery drain meant if I park the car for along time (usually doesn't happen at all) would the battery drain due to the Vline?
4. I would love to route it to the center armrest but do I need to drill holes? if so I want to just stick with the glovebox.
5. I don't listen to the radio but my parents do who I give a ride to occasionally. They can stick with my music lol or usually won't need vline on trips I give them rides to.

I honestly believe paying $55k on a car in 2018 should've included Apple Carplay and Android Auto standard and not deal with these aftermarket solutions.
Hyundai for example had their vehicle retrofitted all the way going back to 2014 for FREE. My Genesis received a free and easy update that allowed me to get this feature.
I was very close on trading the RX with the 2020 or the new GLE which is a shame because this car doesn't have flaws other than that, but the aftermarket solution held me back for now.

Old 09-21-20, 06:10 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

1. Going further on the question does Lexus park assist and backup camera work well? no interuption?
- Yes, it works well with park assist and camera. Lexus interface will take over when you switch to Reverse, or when you're parking your car in, and it automatically switches back to VLINE after.

2. Phone call so after I hang up does it go back? or do I have to press a button?
- It will go back automatically.

3. Battery drain meant if I park the car for along time (usually doesn't happen at all) would the battery drain due to the Vline?
- So I think VLINE stays on for a few minutes after you shut down your car, and then it will turn off on its own. I never have problem with my car battery drained. Not sure why it happened to others.

4. I would love to route it to the center armrest but do I need to drill holes? if so I want to just stick with the glovebox.
- Unfortunately you do need to drill small hole through the plastic compartment hidden under the armrest to feed the wires. I don't think anyone can tell the hole's there. I like this option because I can wire VLINE usb outlets to one of the cigarette ports. It looks super integrated like it comes with the car. But glovebox surely works just fine as well.

5. I don't listen to the radio but my parents do who I give a ride to occasionally. They can stick with my music lol or usually won't need vline on trips I give them rides to.
- Because VLINE is an android unit, podcast and radio apps may work for your need. Or if GROM somehow fixes the Menu button to display VLINE while playing other audio outs, that will resolve my issue and your issue.

I often go on business trips so I get to drive many car brands, and all of them had Android Auto (Nissan, Chev, Toyota, Ford, etc.). My company is not that generous so these cars are just common sedans, nothing luxury. Ironically, it's part of the reason why I thought Android Auto wasn't necessary for me because seeing how it worked at that time, I concluded that Android Auto sucked and I didn't care about the RX not having it. But AA has improved significantly this past year. Also not using the 12.3' screen to its full potential feels like a crime, so I pulled the trigger last year. Lexus just doesn't care, because that will make their 2020 sell even better.
fantasy521 (09-21-20)
Old 09-21-20, 10:07 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wx3
- Yes, it works well with park assist and camera. Lexus interface will take over when you switch to Reverse, or when you're parking your car in, and it automatically switches back to VLINE after.

- It will go back automatically.

- So I think VLINE stays on for a few minutes after you shut down your car, and then it will turn off on its own. I never have problem with my car battery drained. Not sure why it happened to others.

- Unfortunately you do need to drill small hole through the plastic compartment hidden under the armrest to feed the wires. I don't think anyone can tell the hole's there. I like this option because I can wire VLINE usb outlets to one of the cigarette ports. It looks super integrated like it comes with the car. But glovebox surely works just fine as well.

- Because VLINE is an android unit, podcast and radio apps may work for your need. Or if GROM somehow fixes the Menu button to display VLINE while playing other audio outs, that will resolve my issue and your issue.

I often go on business trips so I get to drive many car brands, and all of them had Android Auto (Nissan, Chev, Toyota, Ford, etc.). My company is not that generous so these cars are just common sedans, nothing luxury. Ironically, it's part of the reason why I thought Android Auto wasn't necessary for me because seeing how it worked at that time, I concluded that Android Auto sucked and I didn't care about the RX not having it. But AA has improved significantly this past year. Also not using the 12.3' screen to its full potential feels like a crime, so I pulled the trigger last year. Lexus just doesn't care, because that will make their 2020 sell even better.
Thanks to your reply, I can now rest assured with the Grom Vlite.
I guess it does have some downsides but for me its minor bugs that won't impact the use as much.

I actually never used Android Auto until last month when I switch back from ios to android.
I started using Carplay since 2016 on my Hyundai Genesis I quickly fell in love with the feature especially with ios 12 update that allowed google maps to be used.
The "New" Android Auto seems to be very stable and I actually like it better than the carplay as of now.
Carplay would disconnect my music time to time even with the factory support but android auto has been very stable.

On the other note while I'm on the subject of "tech"
Toyota/Lexus should really step on their game with tech. Even compare to Hyundai their system is much inferior.

For example

1. Headunit is just incomparable... Hyundai system is really fast to respond android auto apple carplay retrofit going back to 2014
2. Lane Keep Assist - Hyundai's system really keeps you straight on the lane while Lexus... you guys know so not going to go further
3. Blind Spot and RCTA - Hyundai's system is more responsive and beeps at you for warning. Lexus isn't bad tbh... but not the best.

These are the few examples and examples from 2015 not 2020

In 2020 Vehicles like the Genesis GV80 with more options and price advantage to the RX is rolling out.
Only thing RX has superior to Genesis is long term reliability, average build quality, residual value and dealership network.
About the reliability though the Hyundai Genesis never gave me any issues for the past 80,000 miles.
I know Lexus would outperform on that section but I'm very impressed.

Hopefully they step up so I can stick with Toyota/Lexus in the future.
wx3 (09-22-20)
Old 09-22-20, 06:13 AM
landij
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not being able to use VL2 navigation while on a call using Lexus Bluetooth is a big turn off for me. I really hope they fix this issue because this is the system if been wanting to get since it can be routed to the arm rest. Would you be able to tell me how you routed to arm rest or point me to a site where instructions are available. This is really the best spot since the top tray hides it away.
wx3 (09-22-20)
Old 09-22-20, 06:04 PM
wx3
Driver School Candidate

GROM went silent on this issue. I'm very disappointed as I had higher expectation for their support.

Have you checked with other brands like Beatsonic? Beatsonic confirmed with me that their system allows phone call audio and AA/Carplay display at the same time. Other folks in this forum also had success stories. I haven't contacted Lsailt (China based - aliexpress), but they also seem to not have the audio issue as GROM does.

I can take some photos this weekend of my installation when I get some time, and will write something to help you with it.

Quick Reply: VLine VL2 Android Auto and CarPlay System for Lexus RX350 and RX 450H 2016 and up