RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thumping sound from my 2019 RX 350 - PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20 | 12:29 PM
Tigey
Driver School Candidate

Default Thumping sound from my 2019 RX 350 - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello RX Lexus owners!

I'm a woman and don’t know anything about car. I bought my brand new 2019 RX 350 last July 2019. After about one moth after purchased I started to hear rattling noise from the driver door trim panel and the center cup holders. I have been taken it to Lexus dealership 3 times for the same issue. The noise has been significantly reduced though it’s still there but I can live with it.

My major concern is about the thumping noise from the back of my car. I noticed the thumping noise came up for the first few rides after I filled up my car. I noticed the noise pretty loud when the car was idle when I stopped at traffic or when I backed my car into the garage. I took my car into the dealership they replaced the center exhaust. Then yesterday I filled up my car again and the noise came back. I scheduled a service appointment with Lexus again for tomorrow. They wanted me to do a test drive with them when I come in. However, the problem is the thumping noise is hit and miss. Since I’ve been driving several times after I filled up the car yesterday, the noise may go away by tomorrow then I won’t be able to replicate with noise for the Lexus technician.

If any of had this problem before please let me know what it was so I can suggest that to the Lexus.

Greatly appreciated any inputs.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-20 | 01:34 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tigey
Hello RX Lexus owners!

I'm a woman and don’t know anything about car. I bought my brand new 2019 RX 350 last July 2019. After about one moth after purchased I started to hear rattling noise from the driver door trim panel and the center cup holders. I have been taken it to Lexus dealership 3 times for the same issue. The noise has been significantly reduced though it’s still there but I can live with it.

My major concern is about the thumping noise from the back of my car. I noticed the thumping noise came up for the first few rides after I filled up my car. I noticed the noise pretty loud when the car was idle when I stopped at traffic or when I backed my car into the garage. I took my car into the dealership they replaced the center exhaust. Then yesterday I filled up my car again and the noise came back. I scheduled a service appointment with Lexus again for tomorrow. They wanted me to do a test drive with them when I come in. However, the problem is the thumping noise is hit and miss. Since I’ve been driving several times after I filled up the car yesterday, the noise may go away by tomorrow then I won’t be able to replicate with noise for the Lexus technician.

If any of had this problem before please let me know what it was so I can suggest that to the Lexus.

Thanks!!!
can you record a video with the sound? Thumping is usually not related to the gas maybe your talking about some type of knocking noise? Try to describe the noise better and when does it occur only when idling or driving as well?
Old 02-20-20 | 01:54 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

I know when I fill up a full tank I can sometimes hear the gas moving around and it comes from the back of the car. I wonder if that is what you are experiencing. I have 2017 btw.
Old 02-20-20 | 02:29 PM
Tigey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DMPesso
can you record a video with the sound? Thumping is usually not related to the gas maybe your talking about some type of knocking noise? Try to describe the noise better and when does it occur only when idling or driving as well?
Hi DMPesso, thanks for responding. The noise occurs when idling and driving (when I backed up my car into the parking lot). I could hear it loud and clear when idling or parking. When I drove with other surrounding noise I wasn’t able to tell.

Please see if you could be able to detect the sound from this recording that I recorded last month.

not able to attach the video for some reasons.
Old 02-20-20 | 05:33 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Hi DMPesso, thanks for responding. The noise occurs when idling and driving (when I backed up my car into the parking lot). I could hear it loud and clear when idling or parking. When I drove with other surrounding noise I wasn’t able to tell.

Please see if you could be able to detect the sound from this recording that I recorded last month.

record it when it’s making the sound and show the technician

no need to reproduce it in front of them
The following users liked this post:
Denzo (11-08-20)
Old 02-21-20 | 10:49 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Perhaps this might be what you are experiencing: Rear Suspension Noise
Old 02-21-20 | 04:37 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

are you able to tell what part of the car the noise is coming from? Are you sure it’s a “thumping”?

does it sound like its coming from the bottom of the car by the exhaust? I just reread your post it seems you have vibrations in the cup holder and door that’s usually tied to the droning from the exhaust. My guess is it’s your transmission or the exhaust. My car used to jerk into gear when I would put it in reverse but I don’t recall it doing anything while idling. The TSB helped quite a bit. Try putting the car in sport mode and tell me if you notice it as much. Also try using 93 gas and see if it goes away. You should look into getting the TSB for the hesitation done as well.

Last edited by DMPesso; 02-21-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-24-20 | 06:13 PM
Tigey
Driver School Candidate

are you able to tell what part of the car the noise is coming from? Are you sure it’s a “thumping”?

does it sound like its coming from the bottom of the car by the exhaust? I just reread your post it seems you have vibrations in the cup holder and door that’s usually tied to the droning from the exhaust. My guess is it’s your transmission or the exhaust. My car used to jerk into gear when I would put it in reverse but I don’t recall it doing anything while idling. The TSB helped quite a bit. Try putting the car in sport mode and tell me if you notice it as much. Also try using 93 gas and see if it goes away. You should look into getting the TSB for the hesitation done as well.
I think it comes from the back and underneath the car. I took my car into the dealership last month for this problem. They told me that they replaced the center exhaust. Then when I filled up my car last week the thumping noise came back. When I took it to the dealership again on Friday the noise went away so I wasn’t able to recreate the problem. I played the video recording for them but they said it was hard to tell so they asked me to leave the car there for a couple of days. They will fill up the car and do more test drive and see.

And yes, starting my last fill up I used the premium 91 gas at Chevron. There’s no 93.
Old 02-24-20 | 06:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

guess here, is your vin covered under the fuel tank recall?
Old 02-24-20 | 06:22 PM
Tigey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
guess here, is your vin covered under the fuel tank recall?
I checked but there’s no recall for my VIN
Old 03-02-20 | 09:23 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

If you can replicate the issue, the best thing to do is take it to the dealer. You're under warranty and self adamantly said you know nothing about cars.
Old 03-03-20 | 04:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Good idea. Tigey, can you have someone sit in the back seat and lower the other seat and have them record. I did this when my RX was making a ticking noise. Service Manager heard it and said you have air in your brake line. He was right. I had noise in the door panel coming from the storage area and things sliding around. I put a small rag in the bottom of the compartment and it cured the noise.
Old 03-05-20 | 01:46 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Hello RX Lexus owners!

Thanks!!!
bring this to the dealer, it sounds like what i have
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...53199-9999.pdf